Topic categories:

News, Media and Current Affairs

Today! (Current Coventry Issues)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 631 to 645 of 663 posts

Page 43 of 45

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 41 42 43 44 45
Next pageLast page
663 posts:
Order:    

argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
631 of 663  Thu 12th Dec 2019 1:51pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:290

Just had a scam phone call, automated voice saying 'thank you for the payment of £599 on Visa card. If not correct press 1.' The bank told me it is a current scam. Be aware.
News, Media and Current Affairs - Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
632 of 663  Mon 30th Dec 2019 8:52pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5529

Future High Streets Fund to benefit city Thumbs up
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
633 of 663  Mon 20th Jan 2020 10:01pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:589

On 12th Dec 2019 1:51pm, argon said: Just had a scam phone call, automated voice saying 'thank you for the payment of £599 on Visa card. If not correct press 1.' The bank told me it is a current scam. Be aware.
Yes, I had a similar message purporting to be from Amazon for a premium account payment. Really, I don't do Amazon! It's a scam. A lot of people have pressed 1, not realising that they have then initiated a premium rate call to a hoaxer who will keep you on the line as long as possible, at a cost of £99 per minute which will be on your next bill. Just hang up. (Shouting oaths down the phone at a nuisance caller is optional, and may make you feel better, before hanging up.)
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
634 of 663  Wed 22nd Jan 2020 12:53pm  

I haven’t been into Coventry city centre for a very long time, so yesterday I decided to pay the place a visit, in the early evening, so I arrived by train about 1730. Walking through town, I was amazed by several bundles of sleeping paraphernalia in doorways, and the large number of men begging for money. Within two hours, I had been approached three times. Begging in public is illegal. The police do nothing about it. All of these males had a similar, iffy-looking appearance: scruffy jacket, jeans, trainers, and, no doubt part of the uniform, the headgear – baseball cap, built-in hood or dark woolly hat. It was not particularly cold, so I saw no need for the headgear. It has to be extremely cold for me to wear headgear or gloves. Yet these people wear the headgear even in summer. Many of them were swigging cider or Guinness from cans in public. (Illegal under local byelaw?) Numerous males were cycling on pavements and pedestrian areas, which is not only a danger to pedestrians, but illegal. The police do nothing about it. Walking up the Burges, I could see stationary blue flashing lights ahead. As I got nearer, it seemed the police had been dealing with an incident. A large trail of clear liquid was all over the pavement next to a bench, and it had run down the hill some distance. I have no idea whether it was water, booze or urine, but sand had been sprinkled to mop it up. I counted 9 police officers and four police vehicles. In Silver Street, I noted that an old established pub was boarded up, and had obviously been closed for years. Same for the Indian restaurant that used to be there. I called into the Flying Standard and had a coffee. I was hoping to grab a bite to eat whilst on my walk, but it seems there are no takeaways that sell English food any more. All I wanted was a few chips. After a pint in the Coventry Cross, I decided to return on the 1947. As I approached Coventry station at 1935, there was a tall young man, dressed in normal street uniform apart from a lack of headgear, lying sprawled across the pavement a few feet in front of the entrance door. I thought he had tripped over, but everything became clear when he bawled out to station staff who had attended, “AAHMM NOT DWUUNK!”. Minutes later, unable to walk by himself, his mate helped him to get onto platform 1. I caught the 1947 which departed from Coventry station on time. Roll eyes
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
635 of 663  Wed 22nd Jan 2020 9:16pm  

London Road speed limit to drop - information.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
636 of 663  Thu 23rd Jan 2020 8:37am  

Here we go again. The powers that be flexing their muscles. Let's make life as difficult for the motorist a possible, so instead of straightening roads out and speeding up the flow of traffic, which is needed, let's install impediments like pinch points and chicanes, unnecessary sets of traffic lights, spine-damaging axle-wrecking suspension-and-tyre-destroying speed humps... Pedestrianize as many roads as possible, especially rural roads that should be 60mph, by reducing the speed limit to 40mph, and 30mph in places. Taking this obsession to its logical conclusion, why not reduce the speed limit to zero everywhere? Then there would be no moving vehicles on our roads, accompanied by a zero figure for moving traffic accidents, injuries and deaths. There would be no pollution from petrol, diesel (and electric for that matter) vehicles. Motoring is a double-edged sword for the gov. On the one hand, for the reasons above, they'd like to get rid of the private motorist. On the other hand, most of the money paid for fuel at the pumps goes straight back to the gov (75% or whatever). That's a lot of money into the coffers of the gov. Little wonder that some diesel drivers run on agricultural diesel illegally. Angry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
637 of 663  Mon 3rd Feb 2020 3:06pm  

Coventry Citizens Party. No, it’s not a challenger to Forum Breakfast Meet-ups, but a new political party in the city Smile
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
638 of 663  Tue 4th Feb 2020 12:02pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2505

That’s that, then - Ikea Coventry to close Sad Getting fed up of posting about things closing. Edited by member, 4th Feb 2020 12:03 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
639 of 663  Tue 4th Feb 2020 12:34pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1827

They planned the Ikea store before I left, I thought that it was doomed then. I've periodically visited the Warrington branch (the earliest opened) and it's a pain. Best to find what you want online and work out the shortest route to where they keep it. It's possible to avoid the bulk of the store by learning the shortcuts. The main draw is the price of the stuff but their designs and styles are often naff. You then have to lug it to your car and get it in. Add to that the nightmare of Coventry's ring road system and it's amazing that it lasted this long.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
640 of 663  Tue 4th Feb 2020 1:36pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2505

I actually quite enjoy a wander around now and then. Never buy a lot there but occasionally the odd thing we probably didn't need. I've always been aghast however at the sight of the store and how they shoe-horned it in. It’s going to look terrible now though, once closed. I can't see any other retailer needing that kind of floorspace. It'll probably just sit and rot for a few years before being pulled down. What is it about that section of land?! Edited by member, 4th Feb 2020 1:36 pm
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
641 of 663  Tue 4th Feb 2020 3:12pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1642

I always thought it was the wrong place to put it. It would have been better on an out of town shopping centre with a large car park like the one in Birmingham. It is not exactly the sort of place you can nip in and buy something if you are walking round town. When they demolished the Co-op there they also demolished a little row of shops. Mum had volunteered in the Myton Charity shop for years and after it closed they moved to Trinity Street. She was not good on her legs and the ring and ride was not allowed to stop outside, only at the top of the street and she couldn't get up there so she had to finish. She seemed to give in after that as she had really enjoyed doing a couple of days there and she did not go out much after that.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
642 of 663  Tue 4th Feb 2020 3:59pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3412

Anne, we have an IKEA here, out in the burbs, always packed to the window sills. Their hot dogs are not bad too. To be honest I like the place but don't visit regularly and never have a problem finding what I want. Having said that, I liked the old Coventry Co too and always thought of it as 'very traditional'. I get the impression if the powers that be don't like anything - easy - they pull it down years after when they decide what to put in its place. Students come to mind.
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
643 of 663  Tue 4th Feb 2020 4:54pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:681

Me too, I like the hotdogs, good value as well as their breakfast. I suppose I am one of their bad customers as I buy more food than goods. Sad
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
644 of 663  Tue 4th Feb 2020 5:14pm  

Their Swedish Meatballs are pretty good too. So too the ice cream. Blush
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
645 of 663  Tue 4th Feb 2020 5:39pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1827

MR, I dislike going so much that I have to reward myself with a cone afterwards. Big grin

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 631 to 645 of 663 posts

Page 43 of 45

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 41 42 43 44 45
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Astronomy & Outer Space
|

Next (newer) topic

The view from my window
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 105ms