No actionNo action
5 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
1 of 5  Sun 15th Oct 2017 10:34am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

On 14th Oct 2017 9:52am, mcsporran said: 14th October 1994. The new Pool Meadow bus station opens.
mcsporran. Ah! but does the new Pool Meadow come up to scratch with old? The last-second dash for the last bus home, the last last lingering kiss, the last farewells, the 'tiffs' that had you in tears and wondering what you had said or done wrong. The Fire Brigade held their open days on Pool Meadow, all the machines parked there, the T.L being the pride and joy, crowds of people, kids everywhere, demonstrations, competitions between the red and blue teams, stand pipe races, boys turning every wheel or touching every switch they were asked not to, the ice cream van, the man with the contraption of musical instruments playing them all, The Salvation Army Band, the guy with boards saying 'the last day's approacheth', the bits of lollipops melting on the seats, the bell being rang constantly, the spearmint gum placed on the machines that took a devil of a time to clean. Coaches to the races, coaches to the seaside, a constant stream of people entering and leaving . . .
Pool Meadow
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 5  Sun 15th Oct 2017 3:26pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

Ah! I remember the old Pool Meadow vividly Kaga, even the steamed up cafe. Nothing will ever give off the same atmosphere as that one. Thanks for the memories. Thumbs up
Pool Meadow
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
3 of 5  Tue 17th Oct 2017 2:12pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:380

On 15th Oct 2017 10:34am, Kaga simpson said:
On 14th Oct 2017 9:52am, mcsporran said: 14th October 1994. The new Pool Meadow bus station opens.
mcsporran. Ah! but does the new Pool Meadow come up to scratch with old?
Yes, it does come up to scratch with the old - just depends on which you were brought up with. I've similar memories as yours, but they're associated with the new Pool Meadow due to my age. Doesn't make the old one better than the new, or vice versa. The new one I think the architectural detail (classical columns etc) is pretty naff but the layout to allow a lot of buses etc to park up is pretty good. A lot of what is wrong with it relates to it's surroundings, most notably the hotel. As I've said before, I'd close Pool Meadow, move the whole bus/coach station into the Friargate development to make an integrated transport interchange and run a loop hop-on/off service into and around the city centre. Apart from for deliveries etc you could have an almost traffic free city centre inside the ring road because it's such a small area to cover.
Pool Meadow
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 5  Tue 17th Oct 2017 3:20pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

AD. Agree with you entirely.
Pool Meadow
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 5  Sat 28th Oct 2017 12:35am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1552

Pool Meadow

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Our own gardens in Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Caludon Castle School
View similar topics in the Public Transport and Travel category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)