No actionNo action
6 posts:
Order:    

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
1 of 6  Wed 18th Oct 2017 9:16pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:475

Sorry if this has been started elsewhere, but I could only find Radio Memories. Anyway, here goes; I have just found a new section on Freeview. Category 81 (apparently it is also on Virgin 445) The Talking Picture Show. And they are all really old films and all the old actors I was brought up on, James Robertson Justice, Nigel Patrick, Diana Dors, Joan Collins, Geoffrey Keen Valerie Hobson Dirk Bogarde. But it isn`t just feature films or "B" movies, but war time information films, and even old Edgar Lustgarten introducing tales from "Old Scotland Yard". I`m afraid you can`t drag me away from all the old nostalgic "rubbish" Cheers
Film Memories
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
2 of 6  Wed 18th Oct 2017 10:08pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:332

You have to have an HD set to receive channel 81 although it's not an HD picture (obviously). There's also channel 82, Vintage TV for music videos.
Film Memories
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 6  Wed 18th Oct 2017 10:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

Evening Roger Yes, perhaps worthy of a thread to highlight this channel It was mentioned before on the Hillman/Humber thread
On 21st Aug 2017 11:28am, Wearethemods said: Good day all, just noticed that 'Talking Pictures' Channel (Sky 343) has a short programme under the heading 'Glimpses' which features film of the Hillman/Humber factory in Coventry during the 1930's. It will be shown next Sunday evening (27th) at 8:45 pm. Thumbs up
I've watched several programmes from there, and there's a wide choice - it's quite worthwhile looking through the Sky Planner to see what's going to be on Thanks for reviving it Thumbs up
Film Memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 6  Sat 11th Nov 2017 4:13pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

Roger. Wonder if you are interested, or if you know, Dirk Bogarde grew up in a little village near here. His father was a sketch artist on a London paper, he bought a little cottage tucked away in this little Sussex village, then housed Dirk and his sister with a nanny in this cottage. Every morning they had to fetch milk from the village, and Dirk had to put fresh flowers on the altar of the smallest church in England. Not far away lived Virginia Wolfe, her sister Vanessa Bell a few yards from her, they formed the Bloomsbury group. David Niven, one of the first SAS guys, took part in the fatal Dieppe raid. I believe Basil Rathbone was SAS also. Sterling Hayden turned down the part in 'For whom the bell tolls' to join the war - he was one of the first OSS guys, ran arms to Tito's men. Patricia Roc, pin up girl to the RAF. Kay Kendal played the trumpet in Genevieve. John Gregson, yes great days, I could go on.
Film Memories
LongfordLad
Toronto
All posts by this member
5 of 6  Mon 13th Nov 2017 5:58pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2012  Total posts:196

Kay Kendall koughtya, Kaja - a bit of 1950s soundtrack wizardry. The trumpet solo was by Kenny Baker, leader of Kenny Baker's Dozen, a popular band of the day, regularly performing on radio.
Film Memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
6 of 6  Tue 14th Nov 2017 12:51pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

Longford Lad, not really, we all knew she didn't actually play the trumpet, like Tara Fitzgerald didn't play the trumpet 'Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto' in 'Brassed Off' and Kenny wasn't always Kenny Baker's Dozen. He did a stint with Ted Heath, I saw him a couple of times, once at 'Humph's' club. But most of those fifties guys learnt their music in the forces, where they had the space to practice. It was said of Lyttleton that he played rather than fire his rifle charging up some beach. But it's good to hear from you. Regards, Kaga.
Film Memories

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Jordan Well
|

Next (newer) topic

GEC Spon Street
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 56ms)