No actionNo action
52 posts:
Order:    

Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
46 of 52  Tue 31st Jan 2012 7:43pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:541

A great collection Morgana. I used to have a couple of Stratton compacts. Thumbs up
Toiletries in the 40s, 50s and 60s
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
47 of 52  Tue 31st Jan 2012 8:04pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2234

Thank you Tricia I just collect as so much history is being thrown away and forgotten, I gave all my grand daughter one each to chose for them selves, like ladies wind up watchs too they are not made any more either I have a few of them too, nowadays you have to pay for a battery need the tool or skill to open the back to get to the battery, or pay to have one fitted , years ago you just asked the time and wound them up I wonder are we going forward or backwards Wink Lol
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 52  Tue 31st Jan 2012 8:47pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:258

Hi Morgana,fab collection. I remember having a Stratton compact mine had flowers on,wish I still had it,they were made to last. Thanks for showing us ladies such an interesting collection,regards Jan, Wave Thumbs up
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
49 of 52  Tue 31st Jan 2012 10:55pm  

Thank you , If you would like one Mayjan you are welcome to one if you can collect it, I have a lovely one which you can't see with a beautiful Red Rose on it, also one with flowers let me know and I shall give you my address by pm.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
50 of 52  Wed 1st Feb 2012 1:57am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2984

On 31st Jan 2012 7:18pm, morgana said: FOR THE LADIES Stratton & Vogue Compacts some mother of pearl some engine turned old lipsticks, little Rouge case in the middle and perfume bottles
Lovely collection Morgana. My mother used to have a little piano loose powder compact (baby grand) and the little lid would open to reveal the powder. My daughter has it now tucked away somewhere. I should imagine there would be lots of those about. Wave
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
51 of 52  Wed 1st Feb 2012 8:49am  

That sounds cute Dreamtime, I shall look out for one, I only pick these up when I use to go to car boots cheap, the lipsticks I found years ago fallen out of a dustbin. Smile
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
52 of 52  Wed 1st Feb 2012 12:57pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:567

Stratton jewellery was made by George Laughton and Co of Birmingham. In the late 1960s I worked for a time at Eddystone Radio, in Alvechurch Road, Birmingham, which was originally started by Laughton's (they made the silver-plated tuning capacitors for radio sets, and decided to make the leap into the sets themselves) and Laughton's had a factory on the site that made compacts and lipstick holders for Yardley. It was a typical old fashioned Birmingham sweat shop in those days - employing mainly girls, but also lads, straight from school, who were fired when they reached 19 or 20 and would have been eligible for the full rate of pay. They made some very nice things; I don't know if they still exist, but I doubt it now. The Eddystone site certainly doesn't. Laughton's paid very low wages; when they owned Eddystone, out of 300 people, only two people were able to afford a car. Even the Chief Engineer could only afford a bike!! The factory was in the old West Heath swimming baths, where they decamped to after being bombed out in central Birmingham in 1941.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 52 of 52 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Wartime pay
|

Next (newer) topic

Bradshaw's
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 300ms)