Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:859

Milly rules

Wyken Slough
Kimbo
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
272 of 276  Fri 1st Mar 2019 6:01pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:60

On 28th Oct 2018 11:04am, Kaga simpson said: Prof, Yes once again you take me back to my childhood, Wonder if Gillian knows the guy's name? I feel I knew him. The photographer is standing on the little white bridge exactly were I stood looking down at a floater, drowned man just where the little boys are paddling. I lived at the foot of the chimneys at the corner of that football field in the background. The field behind the boat was the first field I ever ploughed with horse and single furrow on my own, and the last time it was ever ploughed by horse (tractors took over). The water that fed the 'slough' came from one stream the other side of the Power Station - that killed the slough, another stream from Lentons Lane joined it in the far corner of the slough and fed through a tunnel under the lane.
I do indeed know who the chap is. He was my dad, Ernie, who passed away in '85. I'm the knock-kneed boy facing the camera, and my mum Elizabeth took the photo on our box Brownie. She still lives in the same house we lived in then, on Pearson Avenue. I still have the original of the photo under my bed, and scanned and posted it on this thread in its early days. No idea who put 'Wyken Slough' on it though. Certainly not me! Don't know who Gillian is either!
Wyken Slough
Kimbo
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
273 of 276  Fri 1st Mar 2019 6:07pm  

On 4th Oct 2014 1:04pm, Norman Conquest said: My grandmother, born around 1870 used to sing a little ditty. It started with.... Higham on the Hill, Stoke in the dale, Wyken for butter milk, Hinckley for ale. I am unable to recall any more.
Hi Norman. Sorry about the VERY late response, but I was just reading through this topic after last visiting it ages ago. A minor correction: You remember the rhyme well, but, it doesn't refer to Wyken but Wykin, a small village just outside Hinckley a couple of miles from where I live now. The Stoke in this case is Stoke Golding, near Wykin.
Wyken Slough
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
274 of 276  Sat 2nd Mar 2019 9:09am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2682

Kimbo, Hi. Twenty years earlier and you would have had a football match on that field beyond the Slough.
Wyken Slough
Kimbo
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
275 of 276  Tue 5th Mar 2019 3:43pm  

The photo was taken in around 1958 or 59 I think, btw. We moved to Pearson Ave in November 56 from Frankton, when I was just turned three.
Wyken Slough
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
276 of 276  Tue 5th Mar 2019 5:42pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2682

Kimbo, Thanks for your reply, but no your father was not who I thought, if you only came in 53. At the far end from your photo, there were a couple of wooden huts - two of my uncles lived there in the twenties. We used to have a guest book of the fishermen that came, most of them from the Hippodrome. It was private and well stocked with fish, until about 1935 when it was polluted by a stream that fed it.
Wyken Slough

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 271 to 276 of 276 posts

Page 19 of 19

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 16 17 18 19
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Bishop Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Our Philip