Next pageLast page
205 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 205  Wed 25th Jan 2012 3:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3885

Hi Wave We are hoping to enjoy haggis with neeps, to christen our new dining suite later to day. Coventry had a 'pancake parlour' once. Are there any foods or dishes specific to Coventry? What are your favourite dishes or as we are approaching Shrove Tuesday, what are your favourite ways of making & eating pancakes? Yum! I can't help the fact that both Pam & I love food. "O'h you have noticed!" Big grin
Memories and Nostalgia - Coventry food & drink
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
2 of 205  Thu 26th Jan 2012 11:29am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:567

How about the large slices of chitterlings that Hurrell's used to sell from their stall in the old Barracks Square market?
Jaytob
Derbyshire
All posts by this member
3 of 205  Thu 26th Jan 2012 12:05pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:52

My mother-in-law used to make wonderful home-made faggots. When I first came to Coventry and she told me what we were having for dinner my imagination ran riot because they sounded awful. I had never heard of them before but I absolutely loved them. She was a wonderful cook and made some excellent dishes out of next to nothing. Smile
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
4 of 205  Thu 26th Jan 2012 12:24pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:86

Faggot batches mean Cov to me. Can you still buy them in the town? Very few old fashioned cooked meat shops about. Can't think of any in this neck of the woods.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 205  Thu 26th Jan 2012 1:17pm  

Hi Wave Tricia & I know where proper butchers faggots can be bought at a Bedworth butchers, but as to a faggot or faggot & pea batch, you may have to wait for my Pam to do one. I don't know of a current sort of take-away that you are reminiscing, Argon. We love them too. Thank you all for your posts on this food topic. Wave
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
6 of 205  Thu 26th Jan 2012 1:59pm  

Back in the early 80s I was a member of the Midland Arqubusiers (might seem strange, but I shot pistol!) Sometimes we went to a bell-target meet in one of the pubs where the Barwell-Hinckley-Bedworth-Nuneaton Bell-target league held their contests. The nosh afterwards was always faggot and pea batches. Blimey, they are cruel for a dieter....! Oh my

Mod: For those who might be wondering what an "Arquebusier" is Click Here

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 205  Thu 26th Jan 2012 7:37pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1127

If you'll excuse me getting all historical on you all, Coventry does indeed have its very own dish - the God Cake, which goes back centuries, although I can't remember what era they're actually from. I've even located a recipe for you all... http://bakingforbritain.blogspot.com/2007/01/coventry-godcakes.html I'd read about them ages ago, but only last year got to taste one for the first time. They are triangular in shape, apparently representing the Holy Trinity. Leigh, the lady who works in the Guildhall with David McGrory, made some, and I can tell you.... they're absolutely delicious! Certainy, if you like Eccles Cakes, than you'll like these, too.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 205  Thu 26th Jan 2012 7:54pm  

Hi Rob Wave I have a feeling that you may have mentioned God Cakes on here before. Wave
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 205  Thu 26th Jan 2012 8:29pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1127

Ah, I've just found a mention of it from a while ago on this topic from last March.... Unique Coventry Words and Phrases mrwilliam and InnisRoad mentioned them. Thumbs up
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
10 of 205  Fri 27th Jan 2012 1:27am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2918

On 26th Jan 2012 7:37pm, Rob Orland said: If you'll excuse me getting all historical on you all....
Well, historical is what it is all about but having said that I like the sound of the cookbook mentioned Rob. Have a good day Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
11 of 205  Fri 27th Jan 2012 9:30am  

Hi again Wave Speaking for Rob,who I believe goes to work on his bike, we might all have a better day here as the 'sun has got his hat off'. It's a cold fresh beautiful morning. Please give our tennis man a cheer. Wave I often get my historicals & hystericals mixed up, or as Ronny Barker once said he was not sure if he had missed a history lesson or a mystery lesson. Best wishes to you, Dreamtime Wave
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
12 of 205  Fri 27th Jan 2012 1:23pm  

On 26th Jan 2012 7:37pm, Rob Orland said: If you'll excuse me getting all historical on you all, Coventry does indeed have its very own dish - the God Cake....
More cruelty to dieters!! Lol I wonder if they might have something to do with (a) medieval Mystery Plays (I think Coventry was well-known its own ones?) and/or (b) the Coventry Carol...?
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
13 of 205  Tue 31st Jan 2012 9:19pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:877

Mayjan, chitterlings are pigs' intestines. Sweetbreads are the pancreas and thymus glands, although some people mistakenly believe them to be testicles. I love a good black pudding. Likewise fish & chips with mushy peas, a taste I acquired at 'Fishy' Moores as a child. I'm not sure what really constitutes uniquely Coventry food. Faggot & pea batches, perhaps. Or pork & stuffing batches. They are things I never seemed to eat anywhere else. Then there was faggots, chips & mushy peas from the Parson's Nose after a night out in Coventry, known colloquially as an 'All-in'.
Adrian
UK
All posts by this member
14 of 205  Tue 31st Jan 2012 10:31pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:191

Scallops from North St chip shop, in the 50/60s......
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
15 of 205  Wed 1st Feb 2012 6:24pm  

Hi All Wave Responding to the Hillfields photo thread has prompted me to ask if a D-Di ice-cream ranks as a Coventry food? I never tasted nicer or found it anywhere else. Wave

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 205 posts

Page 1 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Static water tanks
|

Next (newer) topic

The Howitzer Club, King William Street
You are viewing topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 93ms)