No actionNo action
234 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
226 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 1:20am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3576

Good on you Anne, the old recipes are the best. You know the old saying, 'Nothing like mum's home cooking'. Just a thought, do young wives or (partners these days) ever do any serious baking? There is such a lot of produce to buy off the shelves it makes you wonder. I was shocked to see hot cross buns for sale in our local supermarket last weekend - even gluten free ones, and they are so small. Smile
Food and drink
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
227 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 1:26am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2333

Dreamtime, there is a lot more home baking since the Great British Bake Off started but it's probably not a regular thing until people retire.
Food and drink
Gumnut
Moruya NSW Australia
All posts by this member
228 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 7:03am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:52

Not that I am in any way an experienced baker but the measure of a cup down here is 250ml or 6 ounces. But the terms "a stick of butter" and "cake flour" do confuse me!
Food and drink
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
229 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 10:57am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1790

Dreamtime, there is so much readymade stuff or packets you can make up yourself that I think a lot of the younger generation don’t realise you can make it yourself. I can remember working with a girl and on pancake day she said she had bought a packet of pancake mix. She said it is ever so easy, you just add an egg and milk!! I suppose we were the same with Birds custard powder, I would never have thought of making my own. I have just made my couple of loaves of bread for the week which is proving at the moment.
Food and drink
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
230 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 2:45pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3576

Anne, they will smell wonderful when they come out of the oven. You are bolder than me. I was told you have to have the exact measurements to make perfect bread, yet on the TV, they slap it all in a mixer and make it look so easy. Do you have a Thermomix? It does all the work for you - so they say.
Food and drink
Annewiggy
231 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 4:19pm  
Off-topic / chat  

MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
232 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 4:28pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:890

On 13th Jan 2020 1:20am, Dreamtime said: Good on you Anne, the old recipes are the best. You know the old saying, 'Nothing like mum's home cooking'. Just a thought, do young wives or (partners these days) ever do any serious baking? There is such a lot of produce to buy off the shelves it makes you wonder. I was shocked to see hot cross buns for sale in our local supermarket last weekend - even gluten free ones, and they are so small. Smile
There is certainly nothing like our mothers' cooking, and for that I am grateful. Most of us (of a certain age) grew up on basic, unadventurous food which carefully avoided actually tasting of everything. My mother was a competent cook who was used to making meals out of very little, but it was fairly tedious and repetitive. No use of herbs, spices or flavourings at all. So were our school meals. It was like entering a different world when I left school and started work, as I started to discover the amazing diversity of different cuisines. I especially remember the first time I went to an Indian restaurant, the Taj Mahal which was in Silver Street and frequented by many bus drivers. Our wonderfully diverse society now means we can enjoy food from all over the world, and only on Saturday I had a lovely Middle Eastern lunch in the centre of Coventry on my latest visit. Big grin As for baking, my daughter became extremely proficient in her 20s. As she is coeliac, she bakes everything gluten free, although you can't tell. She assures me that she isn't unique and that plenty her age are embracing it far more than the previous generation where it was a packet mix if you were lucky, but usually shop bought. Wink I see no reason not to sell so-called seasonal products all year round if demand is there. I quite like a hot X bun, so why restrict them to a few weeks. Likewise mince pies which should be around all the time. I also buy enough Xmas puddings when they are reduced to last me well into the year. Thumbs up
Food and drink
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
233 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 6:19pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:369

I usually describe modern food products pies etc. as committee pies or products. They are made to offend no one but also satisfy no one.
Food and drink
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
234 of 234  Mon 13th Jan 2020 7:04pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:890

Ah, yes... Pies! Smile It is still possible to find decent ones but they are invariably to be found in small independent bakers. The ones you refer to are of an industrial nature and, as you say, always fall short. It's the same with pies in pubs. The best ones are always home made. And as for the ones that comprise filling in a dish with just a disc of pastry on top - don't get me started. They are not pies! Wink
Food and drink

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 226 to 234 of 234 posts

Page 16 of 16

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 . 12 13 14 15 16
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Modelling the city
|

Next (newer) topic

What happened on THIS day in Coventry's history?
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 95ms