No actionNo action
23 posts:
Order:    

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
16 of 23  Sun 3rd Dec 2017 6:05pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1047

Hi Dreamtime. What was your dad's name, if you like I can look at the newspaper archive to see if he did anything famous.
What photographs can reveal
coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
17 of 23  Sun 3rd Dec 2017 6:27pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:141

But nearly everybody was clean and smartly dressed in those days (unlike today) even when they were poor. Perhaps he's been to the opticians!
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
18 of 23  Mon 4th Dec 2017 4:23am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2898

On 3rd Dec 2017 6:05pm, Annewiggy said: Hi Dreamtime. What was your dad's name, if you like I can look at the newspaper archive to see if he did anything famous.
Hi Anne and thank you. Dad's name William John Toseland born 11th Nov.1914. Married to Ivy May Prudence nee Blockley born 22nd Dec.1916. Married at Holy Trinity Coventry (1936). I am unaware of him being famous for anything other than both producing me!!!!! Lol Lol
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
19 of 23  Mon 4th Dec 2017 10:09am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

Dreamtime, I believe you posted that picture before on a different topic. I didn't reply, but your daughter's reply was something on the same lines as I thought when seeing the photo the first time - many young men in 1934 had very strong views on the Spanish Civil War, there were many meetings in Coventry, it's near lunchtime with the photo, and it struck me he had been or was about to go to a political meeting. I could be way out on this and probably am, but Coventry like most cities was a bed of unrest in those days for young men. Yes, I too noticed the raincoat although the sun is shining, was he expecting a long stay wherever he was going? Certainly he was a very dapper young man, and meant to make his mark.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
20 of 23  Mon 4th Dec 2017 12:50pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1047

Hi Dreamtime, I have searched on the newspaper archive site and I cannot see anything about him, the only Toseland I could find was a footballer who played for Coventry City at that time.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
21 of 23  Mon 4th Dec 2017 1:16pm  

Thank you Anne, I did know about the footballer but not a close relative. I believe the Toselands originated from Lancashire but my father born in Coventry. Thanks again. Wave
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
22 of 23  Mon 4th Dec 2017 2:57pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:376

Hi Dreamtime, it looks to me like your grandfather ran the Brewer & Baker from 1929 to 1932. Scroll down to licensees. F J Toseland (Frederick Jesse?) Edited by member, 4th Dec 2017 3:04 pm
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
23 of 23  Tue 5th Dec 2017 2:16pm  

Spot on, Heathite. He and my grandmother, at some stage, ran the Binley Working Men's club too, so it says on a clock on their mantlepiece, not sure of the dates though (or what happened to the clock)! Cheers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Warwick Lane
|

Next (newer) topic

Sinkholes
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 48ms)