No actionNo action
12 posts:
Order:    

busman
Corley
All posts by this member
1 of 12  Wed 6th Dec 2017 8:46am  
Member: Joined Jul 2016  Total posts:13

Following on from the successful event on Jan 2 2017 there is another Bus & Coach Event on January 1 2018 at Coventry Rugby Club Butts Road. As well as around 20 Buses & Coaches running there will be stalls and a cafe open inside the Rugby Club stand. Most of the vehicles entered are different to 2017 and 3 routes will be in operation. These are:- City Centre Circular. Butts-Midland Air Museum and return. Butts-Motorcycle Museum and return. As last year all bus rides are free. A programme will be available with timetables in and this also gives entry to the Transport Fair. Jan 1 can be a dead day so I ask as many people to come out and support the event and wallow in some nostalgia riding vehicles from the 1940s through to the 80s
Roger Burdett

Coventry Running Day & Transport Fair - 1 Jan 2018
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
2 of 12  Sat 30th Dec 2017 10:02pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:143

Hi Busman, Do you know when the Rugby Club is open and when the last buses depart? I may be able to get along in the afternoon. Peter.

Question

Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
3 of 12  Tue 2nd Jan 2018 4:44pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:197

Thanks Busman, My wife, my two grandsons aged 7 & 10, and I all enjoyed ourselves. We saw all of the preserved buses, had a ride on a coach to the aviation museum, and a ride around the city centre on a double decker. We had hot dogs and chips in the warmth of the grandstand and my grandsons spent their Christmas money on a selection of model buses and other bits and pieces - they even bought me a nice new mug for the bargain price of £1. A good way to spend a cold and damp bank holiday afternoon without having to drive far, and without spending a fortune. The grandsons learned a bit about buses and how they used to be. They thought you just changed the route indicators by pressing a few buttons until I showed them the handles to turn the destination blinds and the steps to enable the conductor to reach them. Roger
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 12  Tue 2nd Jan 2018 5:13pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1776

I somehow managed to miss that this was on but did do a double-take when I saw the WMPTE bus going up Leamington Road Big grin
busman
Corley
All posts by this member
5 of 12  Tue 2nd Jan 2018 5:39pm  

On 30th Dec 2017 10:02pm, PeterB said: Hi Busman, Do you know when the Rugby Club is open and when the last buses depart? I may be able to get along in the afternoon. Peter.
Peter Only read the question on Jan 2 sorry
Roger Burdett

CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
6 of 12  Tue 2nd Jan 2018 7:43pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2012  Total posts:115

On 2nd Jan 2018 5:13pm, NeilsYard said: I somehow managed to miss that this was on but did do a double-take when I saw the WMPTE bus going up Leamington Road Big grin
This must have been the "WMPTE" bus that you saw going up the Leamington Road, as I was on it and standing on its platform to show its driver (who was from Birmingham) the outbound route to go, from the Coventry Rugby Club (via Whitley and Toll Bar End) up to the Aircraft Museum in Baginton. We did go down the Leamington Road and Warwick Road on our way back to the Rugby Club and my photo of the bus here, is seen standing in Rowley Road outside the Aircraft Museum! Edited by member, 2nd Jan 2018 8:25 pm
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 12  Tue 2nd Jan 2018 8:14pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:185

I think the aircraft museum is in Rowley Road Thumbs up
CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
8 of 12  Tue 2nd Jan 2018 8:28pm  

"THANK YOU" for that Matchle55, as it's much appreciated and I've just this second now edited my above post! Thumbs up
CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
9 of 12  Tue 2nd Jan 2018 8:55pm  

I have to say a big "THANK YOU" to "Presbus Publishing" and especially to "Busman" (Roger Burdett) for yet another brilliant Coventry Buses Running Day and Transport Fair at Coventry Rugby Club yesterday, as it appeared to be thoroughly enjoyed a lot by all who attended! The sales stalls and cafe area inside the Rugby Club were absolutely packed out with people at one point and from around midday onwards, every bus that went out on a trip looked to be virtually fully loaded, which is always great to see! My attached photo here shows the 1940 Coventry Transport Daimler COG5, seen standing in Millenium Place. I did three round trips on just this bus alone and although there were plenty of other lovely old buses and coaches there in attendance to ride on, it's this particular bus that just happens to be a personal favourite of mine! If it wasn't for Busman Roger, then it's very very doubtful that this lovely old bus would have ever been fully restored and made roadworthy again and so he'll never be able to be thanked enough for doing that!!!
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 12  Wed 3rd Jan 2018 9:25am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:185

I recall that at the gliding club at Husbands Bosworth a bus of this type (ex Coventry) was used as a glider tug and had the rear body removed and a winch mounted. It then disappeared and, I'm told, was going to be restored - is this the same bus? Roger Burdett, is he a local historian with interests other than buses? Reason I ask is I met a man at Newark tractor show 2 years ago of the same name and had a knowledge of the Ota tractor which was built in what was the Radenite battery factory on Foleshill Rd. Thumbs up
busman
Corley
All posts by this member
11 of 12  Sun 21st Jan 2018 8:50am  

The bus at Husbands Bosworth has been under restoration for many years by an acquaintance of mine. Bus restoration can be a long process unless you can afford to employ labour as a thorough restoration takes around 5,000 man hours which, say at 8 hours per week, = 625 weeks or 13 years. I have just finished Coventry Transport oldest surviving double-decker (1945) so look out for that around Coventry during 2018. I am not a local historian and although living in Coventry during my childhood only came back as there was a suitable building to store and restore my bus fleet. So matchle55 the person you met at Newark was not me.
Roger Burdett

Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
12 of 12  Sun 21st Jan 2018 11:17am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:197

When I worked in Birmingham I was told that if I got lost getting around the outskirts of the city then I should follow a number 11 bus until I came to somewhere that was familiar. All Brummies know the number 11 is the Outer Circle route. I was warned not to follow it for too long or I would end up back where I had started. I have just noticed that the WMPTE double decker in the post above was showing a number 11 route in Leamington Road so I hope there were not any lost Brummies following it.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Brandish's
|

Next (newer) topic

2 Tone Scene in Coventry
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category