Next pageNo action
20 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 20  Tue 6th Feb 2018 3:56pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1391

I've just added an "Old money quiz" to the "Forum fun time!" page - for those of you who remember the good ol' pre-decimal money. And I'm going to make a prediction that question 5 will be answered last by virtually everybody! Wink
Memories and Nostalgia - Old money
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 20  Thu 8th Feb 2018 8:05am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5111

I've just completed it (although it took a while for the penny to drop Roll eyes) And no, no.5 wasn't my last answer - it was another one, which balanced the total before I understood it Oh my
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
3 of 20  Thu 8th Feb 2018 9:11am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1247

I got stuck on a boys name of all things Roll eyes and it was my Dad's name too Oh my but yes, my last one was question 5. Then I had to work out why. Groaaaaan! The first one I got was number 8. Must be the way my mind works. Very clever quiz. Big grin Edited by member, 8th Feb 2018 9:12 am
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 20  Thu 8th Feb 2018 9:12pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1391

I'm glad you two enjoyed it - it was a very old quiz originally handed around my dad's works (Wickman Wimet, later Sandvik) on bits of photocopied paper (or perhaps "photostats" back then?). Needless to say, as I was only approaching 6 when we went decimal, I needed help with some of the old coin names.
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
5 of 20  Fri 9th Feb 2018 12:25am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:253

Got the answers right, but still haven't worked out the explanation for #5. Oh dear!!! Got it eventually - with some help from a hospital nurse - and she wasn't even a Pom!! Oh my Roll eyes I'd like to meet the guy who came up with this! I'd give him a 4d one - or even a groat! Edited by member, 9th Feb 2018 4:55 am
True Blue Coventry Kid

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 20  Fri 9th Feb 2018 7:49am  

Shouldn't do that, JW - he's not quite the shilling Wink
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
7 of 20  Fri 9th Feb 2018 8:33am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:520

On 9th Feb 2018 12:25am, JohnnieWalker said: Got the answers right, but still haven't worked out the explanation for #5. Oh dear!!! Got it eventually - with some help from a hospital nurse - and she wasn't even a Pom!! Oh my Roll eyes I'd like to meet the guy who came up with this! I'd give him a 4d one - or even a groat! Edited by member, 9th Feb 2018 4:55 am
Got it eventually. The author has a devious mind - probably writes cryptic crossword clues. The two homophones had me guessing a while. Agreed about #5. Very obscure. Got it by deduction, having answered all the others, but haven't a clue as to names. The vastly different sizes don't add up in my mind.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
8 of 20  Fri 9th Feb 2018 9:22am  

Since I was post decimalisation too, I didn't think it was cheating to look up the value in £ s and d once I'd worked out what the word was. I was particularly impressed with myself that I came up with the word for the leather worker out of some dusty corner of my brain. Must be from one of the history dramatizations that my family make me watch every now and then. I don't think that my parents ever mentioned it.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
9 of 20  Fri 9th Feb 2018 9:35am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1330

After some time I got the principle and managed to do it, and yes, I put no 5 in to make it balance, you will have to explain that one sometime Rob. Easier for us pre- decimal age group!
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
10 of 20  Fri 9th Feb 2018 9:39am  

Anne, break the word up into two.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
11 of 20  Fri 9th Feb 2018 10:49am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:520

On 9th Feb 2018 9:39am, Helen F said: Anne, break the word up into two.
Many thanks, Helen. Now I've got it! Took some time, and a bit below the belt. It reminds me of years ago, BC (before computers), when I sent my old school pal a postcard with a crossword (well he started the practice). I had four clues something like: 5A Anagram of 7 down (8). 7D Anagram of 18 across (8). 18A Anagram of 23 down (8). 23D Anagram of 5 across (8). He was livid because he couldn't work it out. The words were alerting, integral, triangle and relating.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
12 of 20  Fri 9th Feb 2018 11:41am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1330

Thanks Helen, got it now. I had trouble with the pig one but I went through what money I could think of and got it in reverse!
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 20  Sun 11th Feb 2018 3:50pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:493

Many thanks, I enjoyed that Rob. Strangely enough the one I struggled with was 'Singer' - I kept trying to think of a name. Reminds me of the trick quizzes we did at school with questions like "How many months have 28 days?" and "How do you pronounce ghoti?"
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
14 of 20  Mon 12th Feb 2018 4:30am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3203

Sorry to interrupt the fun folks but could someone enlighten me as to what a threepenny bit was also called in my days of yore? (Don't ask!) Roll eyes
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
15 of 20  Mon 12th Feb 2018 7:38am  

The silver threepenny bit was known as a 'Joey' Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

Page 1 of 2