No actionNo action
58 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
46 of 58  Mon 27th Jul 2020 9:52am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1604

Hey, you found it! Wink Wow, I can hardly believe it was 11 years ago that I put that film up on YouTube!
Wartime miscellany
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
47 of 58  Mon 27th Jul 2020 10:35am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1774

Didn't realise it was one of yours Rob. It came up as a link on Facebook and I couldn't remember seeing it before.
Wartime miscellany
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 58  Mon 27th Jul 2020 10:57am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2675

I'm always staggered by the danger of those Drop Press Machines!
Wartime miscellany
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
49 of 58  Tue 28th Jul 2020 6:18pm  

Yes, Steve and I both commented on how dangerous that looked! I wonder how many employees left with fewer limbs than they started with?!? Wink
Wartime miscellany
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
50 of 58  Tue 28th Jul 2020 6:32pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5639

Oh, I don’t know, you could probably count them on the fingers of...... Oh my Oh my Oh my
Wartime miscellany
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
51 of 58  Wed 29th Jul 2020 10:48am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:715

I worked a 500 ton press straightening bars of steel ready for turning and grinding also the finished product - a Wormscrew. On one night I had to straighten an urgent job for turning, the bar 8ins thick, 10ft long and only about 20 thou out of true. Easy? Set the press up, pulled the safety cage down, pressed the foot pedal to bring the press down and started to wind on the pressure. I could not believe how far you could bend a bar of that thickness. I had forgotten to set the down stop so the press would stop just above the bar. The press was set for a 2in bar. I hate to think what would have happened if the bar had snapped, it must have weighed about a ton. It then took me all night to get it straight again. Oh, the bar bent that much it dropped out of its holdings and fell on the table - just as well we had overhead cranes. I had to sit down with a cup of tea to recover because I knew I was lucky the bar had not shattered, also that it had not fallen off the table onto me. Thumbs up
Wartime miscellany
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
52 of 58  Wed 9th Sep 2020 9:10am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3810

Rob. Info... The airborne only had two divisions, the 1st and the 6th - the number 6 was to fool the Germans we had a bigger airborne unit than for real. The 6th dropped at the Ardennes on D-day June1944, the 1st at Arnhem. Both lost a lot of men.
Wartime miscellany
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
53 of 58  Wed 9th Sep 2020 10:48am  

Thanks Kaga - I had no idea we only had two airborne divisions. I wonder if the 6th used the technique known as Operation Window, which was to drop bundles of silver foil strips, cut to a specific length (half a wavelength, for those interested), which would float for ages in the air and virtually blot out German Radar, making it look like there were swarms of planes everywhere! Our planes could then go where they liked without the Germans knowing which were real reflections and which were fake - until it was too late!
Wartime miscellany
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
54 of 58  Wed 9th Sep 2020 11:36am  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:362

Rob, If you haven't seen it there was an interesting programme about 617 Sqn. and all of their special missions on TV. One was about how they used window to fool the Germans that a seaborn invasion fleet was on its way to France, as a feint, It was very clever and intricate. If you haven't seen it it is bound to be on again shortly (that is why I now usually call it DV instead of TV - Deja Vu, seen it before). I believe the programme was on the Smithsonian channel. Edited by member, 10th Sep 2020 8:56 pm
Wartime miscellany
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
55 of 58  Wed 9th Sep 2020 2:06pm  

Rob. No, I believe that was left to the pathfinders, but tinsel, propaganda leaflets, and all kinds of things, but we did drop dummy soldiers with firecrackers to fool them, and we did use hand-held click-clacks known as frogs to find each other in the dark. There was a major with a hunting horn, and Humphrey Lyttelton was known to go up the beach, rifle in one hand, trumpet in the other. Rob, last Saturday, big band sounds of wartime - Gene Krupa, Snakehips Johnson and all the legends.
Wartime miscellany
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
56 of 58  Wed 9th Sep 2020 5:16pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:479

'Snakehips' Johnson was killed in the Blitz playing at the Café de Paris, London if I recall.
Wartime miscellany
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
57 of 58  Thu 10th Sep 2020 10:38am  

On 9th Sep 2020 11:36am, argon said: Rob, If you haven't seen it there was an interesting programme about 617 Sqn. and all of their special missions on TV. . . .
Thanks Argon - I'll put a search on for that - sounds interesting!
Wartime miscellany
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
58 of 58  Thu 10th Sep 2020 5:41pm  

Wearethemods, Yes that he was, with most of his band. It was thought the dance hall was too deep to be dangerous, but, when I see kids on the tele doing this cavorting about, I often wonder if they ever heard of him, and how they would be put to shame. But it was an Officers club, two bombs, and one went down the ventilation shaft, crowded with dancers, thirty odd killed, a large number injured.
Wartime miscellany

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 58 of 58 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Spon Street
|

Next (newer) topic

W Lant & Co Ltd