Next pageLast page
37 posts:
Order:    

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
1 of 37  Sun 29th Jan 2012 5:37pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:855

Can anybody remember when a Coventry double decker crashed into the Bon Bon on Stoney Stanton Road at Harnall Lane in the days when the traffic went straight across and up to the five ways? Also a bit further down SSR before the Swanswell there was a sign on some double doors by some old houses that stood back from the road that said OLD 43 RILEY can anyone remember it and what did it mean.
Milly rules

News, Media and Current Affairs - Bus crashes
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 37  Sun 29th Jan 2012 5:41pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3947

Hi NormK Wave I am sure that at least two of our members can answer the first question. The second question, can I join you on that? I feel some maps coming on. We will see. Wave
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
3 of 37  Mon 30th Jan 2012 11:28pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2234

I recall the bus going into the Bon Bon, I can also recall prams being in that shop, while having to attend hospital.
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
4 of 37  Tue 31st Jan 2012 11:07am  

Thanks for that morgana, a lot of the younger generation do not believe Harnall Lane East used to go straight across Stoney Stanton Road at the side of the pub, I think it was Harnall Lane West.
Milly rules

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
5 of 37  Tue 31st Jan 2012 11:17pm  

Yes there was Harnall Lane East and West but I'm sure they have built houses there on the west side.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
6 of 37  Wed 1st Feb 2012 1:42am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3011

The road is still there Morgana but is no longer open to through traffic.
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
7 of 37  Wed 1st Feb 2012 8:38am  

Thank you Dutchman I haven't been down there for ages, I was looking back on old photo's on Google at that area also Foleshill Road, how clean neat and tidy the streets looked back then.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
8 of 37  Thu 2nd Feb 2012 1:25am  

The two sides of the lane never did line up properly at the junction. It was always an accident waiting to happen: Click on image to view full-size
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
9 of 37  Thu 2nd Feb 2012 12:01pm  

Dutchman. I don't know where you get your maps and info from, you are a hive of information, thank you. Have you any idea how old the map is? There is quite a few things on there I never knew existed, pubs, sawmill etc.
Milly rules

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
10 of 37  Thu 2nd Feb 2012 1:10pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3947

Hi NormK Wave Those of us who have been enjoying CHF for somewhile have become accustomed to the expertise of our site encyclopaedia consultant, Dutchman. I am not being falsely patronising or anything silly like that. One of the reasons why I love being on here. Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
11 of 37  Wed 2nd Jan 2013 5:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4827

On 2nd Jan 2013 5:29pm, CKV 1D said: Many thanks for your nice comments Philip & Foxcote and thanks also to "Midland Red" for adding the link to the photo of bus No.244!!! (it's much appreciated!!!). The picture of Bus No.163 (KVC 163) that you've now put on here "Foxcote" is superb, although that Bus unfortunately didn't look as good as that at one point back in November 1961!!! It crashed one morning through the front of a house in Allesley Old Road, Spon End (by the bottom of Hearsall Lane). The owner of the house had fortunately gotten out of bed half an hour before the bus came through the front of his ground floor bedroom and so luckily for him, he escaped uninjured!!! The driver of the bus also escaped any injury, but "8" of his passengers on the crowded bus were taken to hospital with minor injuries!!! The house was later demolished, but the bus suprisingly was repaired and went on to give another 10 years service, finally being withdrawn in 1971!!! If anyone wants to see pictures of the accident, I wrote an article about it in the Coventry Telegraph's "YOUR SPACE" section back in September 2009 (the 21st) and with the enclosed photos, it covered nearly 2 pages! The History Centre in town should still have a copy of it, if anyone wants to see it???
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
12 of 37  Wed 2nd Jan 2013 5:59pm  

The company I worked for demolished that house after the damage, I still have one of the chimney pots in the garden. Thumbs up
Milly rules

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
13 of 37  Wed 2nd Jan 2013 6:14pm  

That's strange. I lived slightly further up Hearsall Lane between 1967 and 1975 and don't recall there being any gap between the buildings in Stanley Terrace? Bus enthusiast Graham Bailey posted in another forum that he remembered the house being repaired after the accident and planning records show that all eleven properties in Stanley Terrace were intact and fully occupied as late as 1976. It was a shop in Harnall Lane which was demolished after being hit by a bus. Post moved from topic 100 years of Coventry Transport by Midland Red, 7th Jan 2013 4:50 pm
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
14 of 37  Thu 3rd Jan 2013 10:06am  

Dutchman. I think where the confusion is, can you remember an explosion which completely destroyed one of those houses? I remember it shattering the windows in The Model Shop opposite. I think this is the one we demolished. The only one involving a bus was when it went into the front of The Bon Bon as mentioned on here some time ago. Cheers
Milly rules

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
15 of 37  Thu 3rd Jan 2013 12:19pm  

I don't remember it myself Norm but have read that happened around 1990. Four houses in middle of the terrace (Nos 6-12) were demolished around the same time leaving the two ends standing. The remainder of the terrace was demolished in 2002 to make way for a bus lane which was ultimately abandoned by the council.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 37 posts

Page 1 of 3

1 2 3
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Shared-space junctions
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry food & drink
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 98ms)