No actionNo action
37 posts:
Order:    

LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
31 of 37  Fri 4th Jan 2013 3:26pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:294

Yes Dutchman, I noticed that it was Alma Inn on the map but it was certainly Tavern when I lived a few doors away in the early 50s. I bet the licensee was busy the day that photograph taken. Les
News, Media and Current Affairs - Bus crashes
CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
32 of 37  Sun 6th Jan 2013 10:30pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2012  Total posts:78

"Foxcote" posted a picture of bus no.126 (KVC 126), which is seen when brand new, but I can tell you that this bus was involved in an accident in January 1962, while out on a "Private Hire" over in Birmingham !!! It had the top of its roof crushed after an unfortunate encounter with a low bridge. I've got some photo's of it taken at the Keresley Works afterwards that show all the damage, especially all the rippled panels along its roof. The bus was later repaired though and went on to give a further 6 and a half years service !!!>>>>>>> I've got a note here of bus 126 being involved in an accident in December 1952, but then another note saying it was at the Keresley Works once with some rear end damage, so I wonder whether Colin (Col Cov) might be able to confirm this or add anything to it ??? Did 126 somehow have its rear end accidentally damaged at the Keresley Works itself ??? >>>>>>> Due to the bad weather and treacherous road conditions in the winter of 1952, I've read that a lot of vehicles were involved in collisions / minor accidents of some sort on the city's roads and one involved a Corporation bus in Acacia Avenue ! It happened on Saturday November 29th, 1952, when a bus ended up sliding backwards down Acacia Avenue and crashing into some railings at the bottom. It had started to skid on its way down and unfortunatly the driver (Sidney Swatman) broke his wrist while trying to pull the bus out of the skid !!! The bus itself was reported as receiving only superficial damage, but any idea Colin as to which bus it might have been ??? If it was superficial rear end damage (which I assume it was?), this could well have been bus 126 involved here for all we know, as it happened only two days short of December and it was once seen parked at the Keresley Works with some rear end damage on it ???
DENCOL
LEAMINGTON SPA
All posts by this member
33 of 37  Mon 7th Jan 2013 11:44am  
Member: Joined Aug 2017  Total posts:69

On 3rd Jan 2013 7:52pm, CKV 1D said: The "Bon Bon" Shop Bus crash happened just after 6pm one evening back in August 1953, when two Buses collided on the Stoney Stanton Road (by "Harnall Lane East") and it was the Bus on the "Inner Circle" route that mounted the pavement afterwards, crashing into the front of the Shop and clearing the Window of most (if not all ?) of its display ??? About 16 or 17 Passengers were slightly injured, after being thrown from their seats into the gangways. Four Ambulances attended the accident and ran a shuttle service, taking the injured to the nearby Coventry & Warwickshire Hospital, but all of them were released after treatment for Cuts, Bruises and Shock !!! The Driver and his Conductor were also Bruised and Shaken !!!
lt was bus number 118 (JKV118) a Maudslay that crashed into the Bon Bon in 1953, by coincidence, bus number 118 (KV7118) crashed into a house just past St Paul's Church on the Foleshill Road Oct 1943 when the front axle beam broke. I was 9 yrs old at the time and watched all day to see it recovered and towed away.
CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
34 of 37  Mon 7th Jan 2013 12:55pm  

Just had to edit my posting I put on yesterday regarding the Corporation bus accident in Acacia Avenue, as what I was meant to have wrote is: "The bus ended up "SLIDING" backwards down Acacia Avenue and it started to go into a skid, which is when while trying to pull it out of the skid, the driver unfortunately broke his wrist" !!! Post moved from topic 100 years of Coventry Transport by Midland Red, 7th Jan 2013 4:45 pm
DBC
Nottinghamshire
All posts by this member
35 of 37  Mon 7th Jan 2013 4:39pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:170

I can remember another bus crash in the early 1950's. This took place in The Moorfield, Stoke Aldermoor, just past the junction with Michell Close. A double-decker bus going towards town left the road and ended up in the front garden of a house. I don't think any actual damage was caused to the building. The only "casualty" was one of the trees that lined the road, which was uprooted. This probably slowed the bus down, and stopped it crashing into the house.
CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
36 of 37  Mon 7th Jan 2013 11:46pm  

On 7th Jan 2013 4:39pm, DBC said: I can remember another bus crash in the early 1950's. This took place in The Moorfield, Stoke Aldermoor, just past the junction with Michell Close. A double-decker bus going towards town left the road and ended up in the front garden of a house. I don't think any actual damage was caused to the building. The only "casualty" was one of the trees that lined the road, which was uprooted. This probably slowed the bus down, and stopped it crashing into the house.
Hi "DBC" (of Nottinghamshire), I think the accident to which you mention is the one that involved one of the Daimler CVD6 Buses on August 9th,1955!!! It was bus no.145 (KVC 145) that was involved this time and it injured a 42 year old woman pedestrian (from the Moorfield) when it skidded on the wet road surface and crashed into the garden wall of a House on the corner of Aldermoor Lane (No.41) and Molesworth Avenue (just down the road from the Moorfield!!!). Members of the Works Ambulance from the nearby Humber factory heard the screech of brakes and ran over to help the injured woman. She was taken to Coventry & Warwickshire Hospital afterwards by a Works Ambulance from Humber Ltd!!! Fortunately there weren't too many passengers on the bus itself and neither they or the driver and conductor were injured at all!!! The "HOLBROOKS" bound bus (on the "3" Route) received front end damage and was almost pointing in the opposite direction to which it was travelling when it came to a standstill, with most of the bus standing on the pavement and surrounded by bricks!!!
DBC
Nottinghamshire
All posts by this member
37 of 37  Tue 8th Jan 2013 8:24am  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:170

On 7th Jan 2013 11:46pm, CKV 1D said:
On 7th Jan 2013 4:39pm, DBC said: I can remember another bus crash in the early 1950's. This took place in The Moorfield, Stoke Aldermoor, just past the junction with Michell Close. A double-decker bus going towards town left the road and ended up in the front garden of a house. I don't think any actual damage was caused to the building. The only "casualty" was one of the trees that lined the road, which was uprooted. This probably slowed the bus down, and stopped it crashing into the house.
Hi "DBC" (of Nottinghamshire), I think the accident to which you mention is the one that involved one of the Daimler CVD6 Buses on August 9th,1955!!! It was bus no.145 (KVC 145) that was involved this time and it injured a 42 year old woman pedestrian (from the Moorfield) when it skidded on the wet road surface and crashed into the garden wall of a House on the corner of Aldermoor Lane (No.41) and Molesworth Avenue (just down the road from the Moorfield!!!). Members of the Works Ambulance from the nearby Humber factory heard the screech of brakes and ran over to help the injured woman. She was taken to Coventry & Warwickshire Hospital afterwards by a Works Ambulance from Humber Ltd!!! Fortunately there weren't too many passengers on the bus itself and neither they or the driver and conductor were injured at all!!! The "HOLBROOKS" bound bus (on the "3" Route) received front end damage and was almost pointing in the opposite direction to which it was travelling when it came to a standstill, with most of the bus standing on the pavement and surrounded by bricks!!!
I don't think it was that one. The accident I remember definitely occurred at the junction of the Moorfield and Michell Close. I was at my grandmothers house a few doors away, and I remember seeing the crashed bus from her front garden. If you look on "Street View" you can even see that the roadside tree is smaller then others in the street, and is probably a replacement to the one knocked down by the bus.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 37 of 37 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Shared-space junctions
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry food & drink
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 84ms)