No actionNo action
3 posts:
Order:    

Andydtow
Kenilworth
All posts by this member
1 of 3  Sat 7th Apr 2018 8:59pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2017  Total posts:6

Freeth St was accessed from Jordan Well just up from the Gaumont and the Acorn pub which stood on the corner of Cox St and Jordan Well. Licence was transferred to the Acorn at Ringwood Highway, which is now shut and I believe demolished. Once in Freeth St you turned left and right where the ice store was. My uncle Ken French ran the ice store which was probably connected to the ice and salt store in French’s Yard, Godiva St. This was run by my grandfather Eli French. I think after the war you could exit into New St but I recall it as bomb damaged derelict area. Ken French also had butchers shops in East St and Allesley Old Rd.
Freeth Street
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 3  Sat 7th Apr 2018 9:12pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4819

Thanks for posting all this information Thumbs up There are numerous references in other threads to both Freeth Street and French's Yard - these can be found using the search facility
Freeth Street
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
3 of 3  Sat 7th Apr 2018 9:15pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:923

There are some excellent views of that area in Britain From Above and photos from mostly after the war at Historic England. There were quite a lot of buildings that survived the War. From Jordan Well, Freeth Steeet ran north to a tee junction where you could head east onto Cox Street or West and then North onto New Street. There is a picture of the building on New Street from under which Freeth Street emerged.
Freeth Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Motofest Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Books on Coventry
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 125ms)