No actionNo action
1 post:
Order:    

CovArchives
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 1  Fri 13th Apr 2018 2:47pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2018  Total posts:12

With Harry and Megan’s wedding fast approaching I was inspired to look for a wedding story in our newspaper collection. News has it that Harry and Megan are to have a non-traditional wedding cake of lemon and elderflower covered in buttercream and decorated with fresh flowers. We hope there will be no hiccups for the Royals on their wedding day unlike the unfortunate couple whose wedding cake incident of 1979 features below: The two missing tiers of a wedding cake that went astray on a train have finally turned up – four days late and in crumbs. Oh my A British Rail van delivered the crumpled cake to the home of bride Miss Lindsey Watson at 25 Balliol Road, Wyken, Coventry. And like the top tier which arrived on time on Monday the remainder was unusable. Sad The cake had been sent by British Rail’s Red Star system from Lindsey’s grandmother Mrs Beryl Brown in Manchester. British Rail officials had advised Mrs Brown to use their special service for the £57 cake and it cost her £10.48. But when Lindsey’s father Mr David Watson went to collect the cake Monday he found only one layer, and that was badly damaged. “My daughter accepted the bottom layer of cake when they arrived” said Lindsey’s mother Mrs Josephine Watson. “The boxes were broken up and the bottom completely smashed. There was no way we could have used it”. But Lindsey’s big day was not spoiled by the lack of a wedding cake. The Watsons have had a cake specially prepared for them by a Coventry baker. And this time they collected it themselves from the shop to make sure of no accidents. Thumbs up Lindsey married Allan Jones in St Michael’s Church, Stoke, Coventry on Saturday. British Rail are holding an investigation into the case of the damaged cake, but they have told the Watsons that only Mrs Brown can make a complaint – and she can only receive £15 compensation. Roll eyes But Mr Watson is planning to complain to British Rail if the family get no satisfaction from the enquiry. Article from the Coventry Evening Telegraph Monday 5th November 1979
Victoria Northridge

Crumbs! Wedding cake goes off the rails

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 1 of 1 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Trahern & Co
|

Next (newer) topic

Tailors and Outfitters (bespoke and other)
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2018

Load time: 112ms