No actionNo action
17 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
16 of 17  Fri 12th Oct 2018 2:06pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2920

The gas indoor lighting came to us in the late 1920's, the gas metre's a little later but they weren't very clever about it, they brought about a inch dia; pipe up the corner wall to the ceiling, then a smaller pipe along the front wall ceiling to halfway along the wall, and another pipe from there to the centre of the room to the gas light, dirty black pipes just tacked to were needed, later they tacked the gas meter to the inch pipe in the corner of the room. When they brought out the new gas stoves (ovens) early 30's I believe they built a new gas showrooms. question is did they have the monopoly on both gas and electric,? In the early thirties women queued up at the Gas showrooms for the new gas appliance, then they queued again for them to be changed to Electric a few years later then in the fifties when we had all those electric cut outs with out warning and hundreds of dinners were spoilt they queued even more to go back to gas, but as far as I remember only at the gas showrooms? Sorry Mods we don't seem to have a gas show room topic.
Town Planning and Development - Gas street lighting in Coventry
covgirl
wiltshire
All posts by this member
17 of 17  Fri 12th Oct 2018 8:02pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2015  Total posts:63

I remember the gas lamps in our street, it was a softer yellowish light, and a man came round with his ladder to clean the glass and change something inside, not sure what. My mother told me there had been a man who came round and lit them all every night but that was before the war. We still had gas lighting in the house as well as a single electric light in the centre of the downstairs rooms, no electric upstairs, lighting by candles, and this was the early 50's - the gas lamps came out of the house about 1958, and electric lighting upstairs at the same time.
Town Planning and Development - Gas street lighting in Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 17 of 17 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Ironmonger Row
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry from the air