Topic categories:

Holyhead Road house, pre-war police use?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action
6 posts:
Order:    

mikeweavers
Grantham
All posts by this member
1 of 6  Wed 30th May 2018 3:57pm  
Member: Joined May 2018  Total posts:3

Hello, a bit of a long shot but I'm doing some family history research and have tracked down my great uncle's residence in 1939 and wonder if anyone knows anything about the house or road he lived in at that time. Frank Gray was a constable in Coventry City Police, although he was born and raised in a small village in Lincolnshire. In the 1939 registration exercise, he is listed at 323 Holyhead Road. Unfortunately the two other residents at that address are redacted, probably because they are not known to be deceased. Although I don't know Coventry all that well, Google street view shows that the houses on this part of Holyhead Road are large bay-fronted terraces. Would anyone here happen to know if Coventry Police owned or rented entire houses on Holyhead Road, or, perhaps more likely Frank lodged with a family there? As I said, this is very much a long shot but worth a try. For information, Frank served in Coventry City Police throughout the war and met and married his wife there. Although he was medically discharged from the Police in the late 1940s after a car accident back in Lincolnshire, they remained in Coventry for the rest of their lives, living on Walsgrave Road; Frank died in Rugby Hospital in 1999 and his wife Mary passed away in 2011.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
2 of 6  Wed 30th May 2018 4:35pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1790

Hi mikeweavers, looks like you are a newcomer to the site so welcome! Looking at the newspaper archive site there is a death recorded of Ralph Frederick Ash who died 24th February 1938 leaving a wife Annie. On 2nd March she put in the Thank you column thanks to the nurses at Walsgrave Hospital and also to the Chief Constable and men of the city police. It looks as if Mr Ash had been in the force and Annie took in lodgers from the police force. Hope this helps.
mikeweavers
Grantham
All posts by this member
3 of 6  Wed 30th May 2018 4:38pm  

That's fantastic, thank you so much for the information, posted so quickly! I was fairly confident that Frank would have been lodging there, but this makes it almost certain.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
4 of 6  Wed 30th May 2018 4:41pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1790

Thats fine, a bit of extra information PC Ash died aged 42 of pneumonia and was in Coventry City Police. He had been a prisoner of was in WWI for 3 years in German salt mines.
mikeweavers
Grantham
All posts by this member
5 of 6  Wed 30th May 2018 4:45pm  

Thank you again for this, it really helps to fill in the blanks.
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 6  Thu 31st May 2018 12:21pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:693

On the 1939 register for Frank Gray his occupation as a police constable is clearly stated. So if you find your man on the register . . .

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Robert Hawkey, Coventry Olympian
|

Next (newer) topic

Police records
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music