No actionNo action
82 posts:
Order:    

Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
76 of 82  Wed 15th May 2019 11:19am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:237

JW - Have a look at Google maps for Hob Lane, Berkswell. Find a set of modern barns with distinctive green roofs on the north side of the road. Look down below them and across the other side of the road for a set of buildings set back from the road and with a distinctive 'L' shaped driveway which is light coloured. Image House is the building with three or four cars parked outside (including a red one and a white one). I actually found the exact location by looking on National Library of Scotland Maps - Side By Side Images. I use the 6 inch maps and then zoom in on the modern side to find what I am looking for - easier to do than to explain. Hope this helps. Edited by member, 15th May 2019 4:13 pm
Coventry Cross
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
77 of 82  Wed 15th May 2019 1:36pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1421

On my post 72 there is a link to the Historic England Site, there is a map and image house is in the middle of the map. If you find Hob Lane on Google maps you can match it up
Coventry Cross
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
78 of 82  Wed 15th May 2019 3:47pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:187

On 15th May 2019 9:11am, Kaga simpson said: My thanks to Annewiggy, had no idea it was still there, has to be over two centuries old.
The Historic England listing notice says late 16th/early 17th century.
Coventry Cross
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
79 of 82  Wed 15th May 2019 9:32pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:276

On 15th May 2019 11:01am, Midland Red said:
On 15th May 2019 12:12am, JohnnieWalker said: Thanks Annewiggy - still couldn't find it. Have to wait until my next visit to Coventry!
Here's a mention, and another similar one Thumbs up
So I should find the turnpike - or the site of it - 7 3/4miles from Warwick - thanks MR! And when I follow Not Local's instructions, there it is, 7 3/4 miles from Warwick. And the edges of the fields north of Hob Lane suggest that Red Lane may previously have continued around to the farmhouse before being bypassed by Hob Lane - just a guess. Edited by member, 15th May 2019 9:46 pm
True Blue Coventry Kid

Coventry Cross
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
80 of 82  Wed 15th May 2019 9:38pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:276

On 15th May 2019 11:19am, Not Local said: JW - Have a look at Google maps for Hob Lane, Berkswell. Find a set of modern barns with distinctive green roofs on the north side of the road. Look down below them and across the other side of the road for a set of buildings set back from the road and with a distinctive 'L' shaped driveway which is light coloured. Image House is the building with three or four cars parked outside (including a red one and a white one). I actually found the exact location by looking on National Library of Scotland Maps - Side By Side Images. I use the 6 inch maps and then zoom in on the modern side to find what I am looking for - easier to do than to explain. Hope this helps. Edited by member, 15th May 2019 4:13 pm
Hi NL - got it, thanks! It's hard to find an angle, from the road view, that matches the image in the earlier post, though. Cheers Cheers
True Blue Coventry Kid

Coventry Cross
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
81 of 82  Thu 16th May 2019 9:29am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2781

The rebuilding of the Coventry Cross at its former original site having fallen through, a committee decided that a marble statue be erected on Greyfriars Green to the memorial of Sir Thomas White in its place, unveiled in 1883 by the mayor A.S. Tomson. Apart from the images Alderman Brockle removed most of the rubbish from the cross for his garden paths. Cartloads of it, and horses were a source of power in those days - drawing oils painted on gateposts used to stop a horse. Sometimes a donkey would be put in a field to stop them trying to escape, they would not leave without the stubborn donkey. Horsemen passed on knowledge of plants of value to the treating of illness and diseases, apples sliced and left to rot until infested with antibiotic-carrying fungi treated a lot of horse complaints. Horses were kept at prisons for a time as therapeutic value, they changed a man's character, but costs came in. There is nothing more beautiful than a meadowland of wild flowers, swallows swooping low to catch the insects, the hum of the hoverflies, dragonflies and bees. All this would have greeted Alderman Brockle at Image House.
Coventry Cross
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
82 of 82  Thu 16th May 2019 5:34pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:237

JW - The photograph on Post 72 appears to be a view of the rear of the house which is now somewhat altered by the addition of a modern conservatory. The other window spacing appears to be the same. It must have been taken from the fields at the back, perhaps there was something obstructing the front view or maybe the estate agent thought this view more attractive. All these years later it has given us something to exercise our brains on.
Coventry Cross

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 82 of 82 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Visiting Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Clean Air Charging Zone