Next pageLast page
82 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 82  Mon 24th Sep 2018 3:29pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1416

I'm sure that in time this will develop into a proper thread for discussion of our Coventry Cross, but meanwhile I thought we could put it to good use in objecting to the needless destruction of a wonderful monument. The link below will allow us all to make our voices heard by signing a petition.... https://myaccount.coventry.gov.uk/Petitions The above link might only work for those already signed into the council website. For those without an account, try this link (although you might need to create an account to sign the petition).... http://www.coventry.gov.uk/petitions
Coventry Cross
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
2 of 82  Mon 24th Sep 2018 5:12pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:389

If only there were preservation laws that could stand up to developers' wallets. I hope if they win it won't just be destroyed. But putting it in Ironmonger Square, apart from looting the back streets of their treasures, would be odd as it was originally somewhere in Broadgate near where the Godiva statue is now, and the two things would visually compete with each other if it was moved to there. So best all round to stay where it is.
Coventry Cross
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 82  Mon 24th Sep 2018 5:47pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:242

I've signed it, but from reading O'Boyle's tirade about unelected representatives, I don't think the petition will do much good. I suspect that this is a 'done deal' and will be a rubber stamping exercise when it comes before the planning committee - I hope my thoughts are proven wrong.
Coventry Cross
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 82  Mon 24th Sep 2018 6:44pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:885

Personally, I think its current location is poor. It's stuck there as a bit of an afterthought, and isn't even where it used to be - we don't use crosses to mark markets anymore, so I'm not even sure what the point of it is - when it was planned pre-war it may have fitted in with old city, but now it seems a little pointless. Not sure what the fuss is, as it's a 20th century replica and isn't even made from the same materials as the original cross. That corner with its 'gap site' looks a bit incomplete as well and need improving.
Coventry Cross
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
5 of 82  Tue 25th Sep 2018 8:06am  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:986

The replica cross was a gift to the city from the Coventry Boy Foundation. So the Council completely ignores that fact because it suits them to let the developers in. Their record of sticking banal items, like the Millenium arches, and the blue walkway over Lady Herbert's, is appalling! They have no sense of continuity or sensitivity. Let us hope in this matter I will be proved wrong!
Coventry Cross
Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 82  Thu 27th Sep 2018 7:32pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:214

It would be a terrible shame for the majority of the cross, composed of reinforced concrete, to end up in a skip and the statues (in the niches) and the other ornamental details that are salvaged to potentially end up in long- term storage. It shouldn't be forgotten that it took the individuals who proposed the cross' construction 46 years to finally see the cross built in the 1970's.
Coventry Cross
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
7 of 82  Fri 28th Sep 2018 9:32am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:572

Hi Rob, I don`t know if I`ve done the right thing, but I have signed the petition using your "my account" thingy, I filled in the first line of my address and my post code, then it asked me to click a box that said "I confirm that I live, work or study in Coventry" which I didn`t click, then I fell foul of the dreadful Kapcha, finally got it right after managing to identify a chimney, but when I clicked the "sign" bit it returned me to the box I hadn`t clicked. I decided to confirm that I was born in Coventry, evacuated from Coventry, received my education in Coventry, went to Tech in Coventry (worked on building the Lanchester and loads of other buildings around Coventry). Bought the A1 to Scotland, then emigrated there for 20 years, then returned and settled in yellow belly county and now visit Coventry regularly, contribute and study at this wonderful University of Coventry namely this forum Historic Coventry (even if I don`t contribute, I read it most days). So all in all if anybody asks I consider I fulfil all the requirements of the confirmation. Oh, when I view the mess from the elevated section of the ring road as I drive in, I prefer not to comment. Cheers
Coventry Cross
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 82  Fri 28th Sep 2018 9:56am  

On 28th Sep 2018 9:32am, Roger Turner said: .... So all in all if anybody asks I consider I fulfil all the requirements of the confirmation.
Well, as far as I'm concerned, it definitely sounds like you more than qualify! Wink
Coventry Cross
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
9 of 82  Mon 1st Oct 2018 1:34pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2781

In the remote past, crosses were erected where men drew together for mutual defence against hostile neighbours and for exchange of commodities. Annual fairs were held, religious and crusade preachings delivered, mystery plays enacted. 'Fierce Fires were made for religious persecutions and tortures' (can't say I approve of that) despite being in the famous Fearsome Airborne Division, whilst the spaces were used alike for military displays, and for the assembly of troops in wartime. At present times they became our markets and Smithfields built on the same grounds.
Coventry Cross
Frances
Kenilworth
All posts by this member
10 of 82  Mon 1st Oct 2018 2:21pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2014  Total posts:19

Hello Rob, Have I got this right!!!??? Coventry Council are pulling down the Coventry Cross. I walk past it every time I go into the Herbert and never cease to admire the structure. Of course it is nothing like the original but then it's not the original but a gift to the city. Nevertheless it is decorative and fits in with its situation perfectly being near the Cathedral - and the Slug and Lettuce! Whatever next! Perhaps it will be Whitefriars Workhouse - after all we need new student high rise accommodation like a hole in the head and where better to put these eyesores than in the middle of the ring road - excellent choice NOT. I come into Coventry on the bus from the Park and Ride from the Kenilworth area and am shocked. Did anyone know that Coventry (our medieval City of Culture) is now known among certain of the locals - or the ones I talk to on the bus as "Student City" - and whatever is the Theme Park doing in New Union Street!? Is Coventry determined to become a laughing stock!!?? I am horrified. Angry Frances
Frances Diana Warr

Coventry Cross
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 82  Mon 1st Oct 2018 5:55pm  

Hello Frances, It's certainly pretty scary to think that our councillors are capable of thinking along such lines - and even more so considering our city's pending "cultural" status. How anybody could possibly equate the demolition of a major monument with the gaining of a few square yards for a coffee shop is completely beyond me. We can only hope that common sense will eventually prevail - if any still exists!
Coventry Cross
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
12 of 82  Mon 1st Oct 2018 8:24pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:437

On 1st Oct 2018 2:21pm, Frances said: Have I got this right!!!??? Coventry Council are pulling down the Coventry Cross. I walk past it every time I go into the Herbert and never cease to admire the structure. Of course it is nothing like the original but then it's not the original but a gift to the city....
While I agree that the Cross shouldn't be got rid of, I'd much prefer it to be in a more prominent position - it's hidden where it is and doesn't tell you anything about the siting or purpose of the original cross, which had absolutely nothing to do with the church. It was more a sign of a market or trading place and so should be either in Broadgate or the precinct. Much of the rest I'm afraid I find alarmist. Yes, Coventry is a student city and what is wrong with that? It's bringing young people into a city they probably wouldn't otherwise go near and are spending their money in our economy and creating jobs at both the universities and local businesses they use. They're potential residents and families of this city in the future. The universities can help encourage other industry into the area with their research and reputations in certain aspects. Students nowadays are (on the whole) far less rowdy than in the past. Now you have to pay for the courses and don't get grants they take it far more seriously rather than in the past where it was largely a jolly. At the moment there is a need for more student accommodation, as demand is outstripping supply, hence why so many of the buildings have been built in so short a space of time while plans for offices etc have got nowhere because the demand just isn't there. Do you realise how many of the houses in the surroundings areas like Spon End, Earlsdon and Stoke are now multiple occupancy rented out to students, thus preventing people getting on the housing ladder as private landlords buy them up? These student blocks are starting to see some of these come back on the market and this must be a positive. As for the theme park, I agree I find it's location next to the third spire just a little jarring and would prefer it further away, but it's actually much less intrusive I find that Greyfriars House it replaces. Also, City of Culture is a many faceted thing, not just history. It encompasses art and sculpture (from classical to modern and even graffiti), music (again from classical to modern things like rap), theatre and film, literature, architecture (from our medieval heritage through Victorian, post war modernism and post-modern), food (traditional to modern cuisine inspired by foreign dishes), sport, industry, learning and many more things besides. It is not about us being a medieval city - if it was just a celebration of our medieval heritage perhaps we'd do best to just dump many tonnes of horse manure around the city streets and have smoke machines constantly pumping noxious air into the city centre? Although I know on the whole this post has been critical of your points, please don't take it personally - I'm just pointing out counter arguments to what you've asserted and as a discussion forum this is a place of debate and I am more than happy for you to criticise what I've said.
Coventry Cross
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
13 of 82  Wed 3rd Oct 2018 1:33pm  

AD said, the purpose of the original cross, which had nothing to do with the church. The city annals inform us that in the following year, 1609, the image of CHRIST, not according probably with Puritan ideas of the local Governors, was taken down from the cross and a figure of Godiva substituted. This was, however, shortly afterwards exchanged for the King's arms. (It went on to say) men in special authority, one of them pulled down the picture of CHRIST from the market cross as a monument of superstition, having been there many hundreds of years, and placed instead a picture of a naked lady without superstition. August 1771; agreed by the house that the inhabitants of Cross Cheaping be at liberty, and they are here authorised, if they see fit, to take down the cross. The stones, statues and mouldings of the cross were thus distributed amongst the citizens generally. An Alderman of the city took the four statues and placed them in his garden. When he was dying, he directed the statues be given to the Corporation, accordingly removed and placed in St. Mary's Hall.
Coventry Cross
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
14 of 82  Thu 4th Oct 2018 2:56pm  

At Redfin lane, situated between Kenilworth and Berkswell, was an old stone farm house, 'The Image House', so named from the fact that several of the statues from the Coventry Cross were removed and set up there, on it being pulled down in the year 1771 by an Alderman of the City named Brockle, who at the time possessed the place. We are told that the statue of King Henry - which now adorns the principal staircase of St Mary's Hall Coventry - for many years stood as a faithful sentinel watching by the side of the backdoor, whilst the other figures had more lowly positions allotted to them, differing altogether from their original and elevated character. The statue of St Peter was stood on a wall, where the farm cock perched on his shoulder would wake the morn., while St Christopher, a fellow saint, was placed at his feet in the pig sty. When he died they were restored to a more befitting place, in the niches of the Oriel window of St Mary's Hall.
Coventry Cross
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
15 of 82  Thu 4th Oct 2018 4:21pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1358

I don't have a say in this because it's not my money that will be used to move it but I think it's in the wrong place. While rather magnificent, it's put to shame by the buildings round it. I walked passed it several times before I saw it. I was too busy looking up. The worry with moving is that it could be damaged in the move or that it might become a more prominent target for vandals.
Coventry Cross

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 82 posts

Page 1 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Visiting Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Clean Air Charging Zone