Next pageNo action
28 posts:
Order:    

Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
1 of 28  Sun 17th Mar 2013 8:21pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:901

Thanks Herberts lad. That's exactly what I enjoy, researching one thing and it leads you down another path! I am sure between us all, we shall solve Midland Red's poser Thumbs up There was also the 'Radenite' battery maker just past the General Wolfe on the left hand side going towards Longford, by Wilson's Meters. Post copied from topic Ghost ads on 10th Oct 2018 7:50 pm
Memories and Nostalgia - Radenite batteries
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 28  Sun 17th Mar 2013 9:50pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:301

The Radenite factory was on the corner of Foleshill Road and Blackwell Road and should, in my opinion, have been preserved. As with so many of these irreplaceable historic buildings, nothing was done to prevent its destruction (after which the site lay derelict for years). It had a very ornate facade which, in itself, should have ensured its preservation.
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
3 of 28  Mon 18th Mar 2013 8:50am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:901

I was hoping to find a photograph of the Radenite factory. I did find some advertisements for it. Radenite Advertisements
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
4 of 28  Sun 27th Jul 2014 4:05pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:109

When I was a young lad in the 50's and early 60's we would often travel by bus to Coventry along Foleshill Road. I was fascinated with the number of factories, shops, pubs and other premises of all shapes, sizes and functions fronting onto the road itself, or seen from the road. For some reason I particularly remember a building with its brown paintwork "Formerly Van Raden and Co Ltd" written on each side of the central door arch at the top, "Radenite Batteries" on the left, and "Never Stop Starting" on the right! I'd love to know what premises other people remember.
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 28  Sun 27th Jul 2014 9:42pm  

Radenite was another building of architectural interest which was quickly and quietly demolished some time ago. It was near D F Gibbs.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
6 of 28  Sun 7th Sep 2014 1:56pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1495

"Van Raden batteries!" so Radenite would be an Anglianised form I guess. Presumably a Dutch company.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
7 of 28  Sun 7th Sep 2014 2:08pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1790

August 1903 from British Newspaper Archives
davidstarley
Saltaire
All posts by this member
8 of 28  Tue 30th Sep 2014 12:06pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1

On 7th Sep 2014 1:56pm, Prof said: "Van Raden batteries!" so Radenite would be an Anglianised form I guess. Presumably a Dutch company.
From memory of discussions with my family, the name was changed during the First World War to sound less foreign. Not sure whether the Van Radens had sold up by then, but at some point the company passed on to the control of my great grandfather JP Starley. I recall the photo of the Payne and Bates Car and factory frontage hanging in my father's office at Foleshill road and at the new site of Bayton Road. As I recall the city council required Radenite to move from the old site so it could be re-developed. However, this never occurred and the factory was brought back into use manufacturing shirts.

Question

covtom
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 28  Mon 17th Oct 2016 1:08pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2016  Total posts:3

On 16th Oct 2016 5:03pm, Kaga simpson said: A few generations ago there was no city in the world that could match Coventry, with the most picturesque green belt of villages and hamlets, blacksmiths, streams and brooks, watermills, farmyards, and smithies working in their shirt ..
I'm in my 50s and remember my dad taking me from our house on Foleshill Road (next door to Morgan's the jewellers) each Sunday to the farrier/blacksmith on Lythalls Lane (circa 1966). After the horses were shod, I was allowed to ride them (bareback) to road-test them. I preferred operating the bellows; less risk. We moved to Blackwell Road in 1974. It was a great pity to see that the Radenite factory was demolished. Perhaps one of the first battery companies in Europe and a pioneer of what became the Sealed Lead Acid battery. I acquired the trademark earlier this year.
TD

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 28  Mon 17th Oct 2016 1:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5665

Hello covtom, and welcome to our friendly forum Wave If you enter "Radenite" in the search box, top left, it will take you to several posts about them Thumbs up
covtom
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 28  Tue 25th Oct 2016 5:24pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2016  Total posts:3

On 17th Oct 2016 1:28pm, Midland Red said: If you enter "Radenite" in the search box, top left, it will take you to several posts about them Thumbs up
Many thanks. Very interesting. Some old ads appear in Grace's
TD

Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 28  Wed 18th Jan 2017 9:24pm  

On 17th Mar 2013 8:21pm, Foxcote said: Thanks Herberts lad. That's exactly what I enjoy, researching one thing and it leads you down another path! I am sure between us all, we shall solve Midland Red's poser Thumbs up There was also the 'Radenite' battery maker just past the General Wolfe on the left hand side going towards Longford, by Wilson's Meters.
Radenite batteries was on the corner of Foleshill Road and Blackwell Road. George Wilson's gas meters was on the corner of Livingstone Road. I believe The Radenite factory was either listed or scheduled to be but was demolished, a good few years ago. The building which replaced it still doesn`t appear to be finished. The Radenite building is probably what was Repanco in the 50`s/60`s and is opposite the end of George Eliot Road. Edited by member, 18th Jan 2017 9:49 pm Post moved from topic Ghost ads on 19th Jan 2017 8:05 am
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
13 of 28  Thu 19th Jan 2017 7:32am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:770

Radenite Batteries was there for umpteen years when I used to visit my aunt in Foleshill on the bus. My paternal grandfather was a tinsmith, and the family moved to Cov from Brum in 1923, when he was offered a better paid job at George Wilson's gas meters. In those days Coventry was booming, and it was said that the streets were paved with gold. This reputation obviously reached the USA, evidenced by the US military marching song:
I don't know but it's been said, streets of Birmingham a' lined with lead; I don't know but I've been told, streets o' Coventry lined with gold.
So that proves it. The family always lived in Earlsdon, and in later years my granddad worked nearby, at a factory in Hawkins Road. I'm not sure if this was Wilson's - does anyone know. He had quite a well paid job as a working foreman, and received a small payment out of the profits, maybe a bonus or something. That factory was a short walk through the jetties to their house in Broomfiled Road. My nan often related that if he was not home by 1800 hours, she knew where he was - he had stopped off in the Albany for a quick one, which invariably lasted until closing time. He was a 7-days-a-week heavy drinker, and would stagger home at about 2300 hours. One evening, she waited for him behind the kitchen door, armed with a carving knife, and threatened to run him through, such was her accumulated frustration at his boozing habits. He was still working full-time up to the age of 70. Then he died.
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 28  Wed 3rd Oct 2018 12:52pm  

Does anyone have a picture of this building? It was a very ornate brick building on the Foleshill Road which I`m sure was `listed` before, mysteriously, being knocked down very quickly. Edited by member, 3rd Oct 2018 12:53 pm
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
15 of 28  Wed 3rd Oct 2018 2:25pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:262

My understanding is that the building was demolished because both it and the ground that it stood on were highly polluted after years of production of lead acid type batteries. The site then stood vacant for many years and then the present building was started but never completed. The old factory was used for garment manufacture in later years and I have often wondered how much the people who worked there were affected by the alleged pollution of the site. Was it Matharu Manufacturing or a very similar name?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Longford (inc. The Red Hills)
|

Next (newer) topic

Stoke Green