Next pageNo action
101 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
76 of 101  Mon 16th Jan 2017 11:48am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:764

I think it was Dave Gorman who did a skit on a group of newspapers from different areas doing the same story on dogging a few years ago. Just the local locations different in each story.
Coventry Telegraph
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
77 of 101  Wed 18th Jan 2017 12:44pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:370

I was flicking channels last night, and came upon a BBC comedy sketch show called Revolting, and they did a sketch about dogging. The content of the programme was very near the knuckle, at least what bit I saw, and I expect there will be complaints. They really took the proverbial out of MPs and certain ethnic groups. I am very unimpressed with the CT website. It is infuriatingly slow to load, respond, and is peppered with adverts. They are not alone - I've found that all newspaper websites are the same - after a while, they often hang up, with the error message that "the site is not responding". Angry
Coventry Telegraph
Wimero
Nr Rugby
All posts by this member
78 of 101  Thu 19th Jan 2017 1:47pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
79 of 101  Thu 19th Jan 2017 3:33pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
80 of 101  Thu 19th Jan 2017 5:40pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4548

Standards at the BBC are hardly any better Oh my In their article about CCFC today, they report: ""We don't own our ground," explains 19-year-old Matt, who's been a fan since he was younger." Lol
Coventry Telegraph
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
81 of 101  Mon 6th Mar 2017 9:13am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:994

Who remembers the Coventry Evening Telegraph vans rushing round the streets to the local newsagents? I seem to remember the Austin A40 and Bedford CA type vans in the 1950s.

Question

Coventry Telegraph
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
82 of 101  Mon 6th Mar 2017 11:02am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:847

I bought one of their A40 vans, it was very reliable and it never looked untidy with the black shiney paintwork. I remember the front shocks being worn out, when it started to bounce the best thing to do was slow down. I loved that old van.
Milly rules

Coventry Telegraph
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
83 of 101  Mon 6th Mar 2017 1:54pm  

On 6th Mar 2017 9:13am, pixrobin said: Who remembers the Coventry Evening Telegraph vans rushing round the streets to the local newsagents? I seem to remember the Austin A40 and Bedford CA type vans in the 1950s.
In later years they had vans like (or actually were) Sherpas, which were driven as if they were in a race. Two-wheel cornering was the norm.
Coventry Telegraph
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
84 of 101  Mon 6th Mar 2017 8:04pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:831

When trying to save to buy a house I took a second job with Goddard and Poke wholesale newsagent. Madness. 3am start, collect van then off to the station to collect papers. Papers were dropped outside shops rain or fine, often in bother if the papers got wet. Police were often in the warehouse having tea and I was once given a ticking off for taking an island on the wrong side. Always had to look for the most direct way round the islands. The police had to watch what they did because we had more on them than they did on us. Nuff said. I lasted about six months and was considered to be a long service driver.
Just old and knackered

Coventry Telegraph
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
85 of 101  Tue 7th Mar 2017 7:10am  

Blimey, Norman, in the mornings too, when the roads were deserted! By the time I started my 3 morning rounds at 0600, the papers had already been delivered by Goddard and Poke. My experience of the black van racers was in the evenings, especially on a Saturday when the Pinks were being distributed. I was once told by a policeman that if an employer puts a driver under pressure, causing him/her to drive too fast, then the employer is also breaking the law.
Coventry Telegraph
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
86 of 101  Tue 7th Mar 2017 11:58am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:183

The Saturday evening races were between the Coventry Evening Telegraph vans delivering the Pink and the Birmingham Evening Mail vans delivering the Sports Argus (which was also pink). I can recall seeing the Evening Mail driver overtake the Telegraph driver by taking an island on the right hand side. On another occasion one of the vans tipped on its side taking the same island too fast. It was an Austin/Morris J4, never the most stable of vehicles. The Goddard & Poke vans used to reach tremendous speeds on the Foleshill Road, particularly very early on Sunday mornings in the summer when it was broad daylight but there was little traffic. In the 70's they were BMC EA vans, again not the most stable in a corner. Fortunately for them no-one got in the way, nor gave them Ford Transits which were even quicker but at least would go round a corner without falling over.
Coventry Telegraph
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
87 of 101  Sun 18th Jun 2017 10:28pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:104

The old Coventry Evening Telegraph has been opened on Saturdays (11-4) for self guided tours before its conversion into a boutique hotel. There is a lot more to the building than you would think from the outside. Boardroom Enclosed garden Printing hall I recommend visiting soon as I'm not sure how long it will stay open. Peter.
Coventry Telegraph
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
88 of 101  Tue 26th Sep 2017 4:30pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

PeterB. Wasn't it called the MDT - Midland Daily Telegraph - during the war?
Coventry Telegraph
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
89 of 101  Wed 27th Sep 2017 9:48am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

The Midland Daily Telegraph was one penny and with 12 pennies to a shilling, twenty shillings to one pound, 240 telegraphs for £1 I think it was the late forties when the football pools became important to the people, the large prizes made people more aware of gambling and big money, so results became more needed than ever, so more competition to get the results on the streets first. Which was ridiculous as you had weeks you could claim, and the wireless gave out the results also. But those vans in the fifties just raced each other. Ten years later television outdid them all. But the football league results were on the front page, easy to see in a glance but today I find it hard to find results. There were also little pocket supplements that were so handy to read if out in the open but they turned them into newspaper size and the wind made it more difficult to read them. I think the Telegraph was a five column spread with few advertisements.
Coventry Telegraph
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
90 of 101  Wed 27th Sep 2017 10:02am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4548

On 26th Sep 2017 4:30pm, Kaga simpson said: Wasn't it called the MDT - Midland Daily Telegraph - during the war?
Wikipedia article on MDT, CET etc Thumbs up
Coventry Telegraph

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 90 of 101 posts

Page 6 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Hippodrome / Theatre
|

Next (newer) topic

Dirty Stop Outs from the 1970s!
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)