No actionNo action
101 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
91 of 101  Wed 27th Sep 2017 11:12am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

Midland Red. So who do we believe? I have a paper by an FT Bunting, chairman of the Coventry Evening Telegraph, that says the MDT continued to be the main source of local news for the duration of the war.
Coventry Telegraph
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
92 of 101  Wed 27th Sep 2017 12:13pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

Kaga Just looked through the British Newspaper Archive, and the title of the newspaper changes on Monday 17th November 1941 Thumbs up You should be able to see the change here
Coventry Telegraph
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
93 of 101  Wed 27th Sep 2017 3:23pm  

Midland Red, thank you, yes the bombing pictures were by the Midland, then they changed. Another question, those Sat afternoon vans, weren't they seasonal? Once the football stopped in the spring the number of vans dropped. Talking of the Telegraph, I phoned them one early Monday morning about '53 time, I was jumping with joy, I had a top dividend on the seven draws Australian Pools Results - only six draws and one away was top divi. I asked for their sports reporter, told him I had top divi, what do you think it will make? Oh you're well in, should make thirty, forty thousand at least, I thanked him, threw a big party, It made a few hundred only, only six draws in all their matches but about twenty odd aways. I was gutted. Another time I had eleven correct results (twice) on the twelve results panel and away win and a home win but it was a late result, the home team were winning 1-0, there was a penalty in the dying seconds and a score became a drawn game, left me with two second dividends. Ah woe is me.
Coventry Telegraph
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
94 of 101  Fri 29th Sep 2017 11:21am  

1939 - like most kids I had a paper round, the evening paper being the local 'rag', the Midland Daily Telegraph. Delivering this paper we took along our gas masks, had to be aware of the blackout and the sirens. We were asked to deliver from the outer and back towards the shop, if the sirens went to take shelter or get home as fast as possible. I read all the war news from that paper, I kept three papers back to deliver to Main Cottages as I also delivered milk to them in the evenings, sometimes I had letters and parcels to deliver as well. But in August 1941 gave up the paper round and started work full-time, and yes two months later they damn well changed the name to Coventry Evening Telegraph and I missed it. So for almost two years (apart from a few weeks evacuee), I delivered the Midland Daily Telegraph, never delivered one Coventry Evening Telegraph.
Coventry Telegraph
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
95 of 101  Sat 28th Oct 2017 7:52am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

Photos from 2016 Thumbs up
Coventry Telegraph
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
96 of 101  Sat 28th Oct 2017 1:38pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

MR, bet that place was a hive of activity in its day. Wave
Coventry Telegraph
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
97 of 101  Sat 4th Nov 2017 5:29pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3838

Hi all Wave This makes grim reading, as if that wasn't bad enough, the Coventry Telegraph latest circulation is down to 18000 copies. Sad Audited circulation.
Coventry Telegraph
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
98 of 101  Sun 5th Nov 2017 1:18pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:86

A sad situation but a sign of the times. When I was a newsagent in the 1960s at Longford we sold 625 Evening Telegraphs, at Sewell Highway a similar figure - that would be about 6% of the present circulation in only two outlets. At the weekly local paper where I work the circulation is almost the same as the present Telegraph one, and the population of New Milton and Lymington where we also circulate is only about 60,000. Perhaps it is time newspaper publishers had a rethink about their business policies. Edited by member, 5th Nov 2017 1:35 pm
Coventry Telegraph
Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
99 of 101  Mon 13th Nov 2017 8:47pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:164

Some of the photos I took when walking around the Coventry Evening Telegraph offices and printworks on a self-guided tour: It's a great place, my four photos here don't really do it justice (I wanted to show photos of the huge basement/printworks but they didn't turn out very well - it was a bit dark down there, I think PeterB had more success in post 87 on this thread). I'm hoping to look round again, but I wouldn't recommend it to people who struggle with steps as there are a lot of stairs (and a lot of walking). See the VisitCoventry.net website. Luke. Smile Edited by member, 13th Nov 2017 9:08 pm
Coventry Telegraph
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
100 of 101  Tue 14th Nov 2017 3:47am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1552

A good proportion of the work gone on at the CET building and the VisitCoventry website linked by Garlands is done/run by my mate Alan Denyer. He is a true Coventrian and building enthusiast!
Coventry Telegraph
Greeny
Coventry
All posts by this member
101 of 101  Sat 18th Nov 2017 12:05am  
Off-topic / chat  

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 101 of 101 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Hippodrome / Theatre
|

Next (newer) topic

Dirty Stop Outs from the 1970s!
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 64ms)