No actionNo action
6 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
1 of 6  Mon 15th Apr 2019 9:21pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1714

Feeling really sad about Notre Dame and hope that they can save some of it. Sad Buildings are the essence of the people who create and love them. So far there are no reports of casualties. Hope that continues.
Notre Dame
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 6  Mon 15th Apr 2019 10:18pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5470

Echo those comments, Helen What is it about 15 April? Titanic, Hillsborough, Boston Marathon, now Notre Dame Angry
Notre Dame
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
3 of 6  Tue 16th Apr 2019 1:00pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3202

The Notre Dame, 'Our Lady of tears', an irresistible draw, a treasure trove, the organ was saved. Money is pouring in to rebuild.
Notre Dame
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 6  Tue 16th Apr 2019 1:11pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3373

This terrible event brings to my mind the awful night when Coventry's beloved Cathedral suffered the same fate. It will bring back many memories to the older generations in Coventry. Sad
Notre Dame
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
5 of 6  Tue 16th Apr 2019 5:12pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3202

Dreamtime, Napoleon had his coronation in Notre Dame, appointed himself Emperor of France. I visited the Notre Dame sometime in the eighties with friends. We had been to Chantilly Races. In the boot of the car outside we had a large suitcase full of blue films to sell, our pockets full of money from racing - what a mix, I'm sure Nostradamus couldn't have predicted that scenario.
Notre Dame
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
6 of 6  Tue 16th Apr 2019 5:40pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1714

I visited in the early 80s. The rose windows were astonishing. It's wonderful news that they seem to be intact. The blue was apparently impossible to recreate when I visited, although maybe they've mastered it by now. Like Coventry blue, some colour recipes were closely held secrets. I was afraid that Notre Dame might suffer the same fate as St Michael's but the inner, vaulted roof protected the place from the worst. Hopefully they get good weather until they can stabilise any weak points. The exterior is amazingly complete.
Notre Dame

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

A Coventry Kid's Tale
|

Next (newer) topic

Antelope Motor Cycle Club
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category