Next pageNo action
240 posts:
Order:    

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
211 of 240  Mon 24th Aug 2015 1:22pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:846

Norman Conquest thanks for the link. This pic bought back memories of us demolishing this, it was The Awson Motor Carriage in Nuneaton late 60s. With kind permission from Geoff Edmands/nuneatonhistory.com
Milly rules

Bedworth and Nuneaton
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
212 of 240  Thu 10th Sep 2015 4:16pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3824

Hi all Wave Just as we are coming to terms with the loss of Coventry Co-op, this news has hit our Nuneaton members.
Bedworth and Nuneaton
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
213 of 240  Thu 10th Sep 2015 5:42pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:846

Just read that Nuneaton Coop is to close down, it'll be a ghost town soon. This includes all of the non food stores in the area. Edited by member, 11th Sep 2015 7:47 am
Milly rules

Bedworth and Nuneaton
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
214 of 240  Fri 18th Sep 2015 10:08pm  

Hi all Wave Nuneaton and Bedworth council to join West Midlands authority
Bedworth and Nuneaton
Hermit
Coventry
All posts by this member
215 of 240  Tue 22nd Sep 2015 5:00pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2015  Total posts:1

Hello, This is quite an old topic by the look of it, but I happened to stumble upon this little brick entrance when walking not that long ago. I wasn't really sure what it was, so started to have a look around. I found it by walking in St. Lawrence's Wood, the smaller wood near Hartshill Hayes. I walked along the main path, down to the bottom (to the far side of the wood towards the quarry) where you walk out onto a field but carried on walking to the right, inside the woods. Eventually I came to a tiny stream and started walking back up the hill, keeping to the left. As I was walking up I came to a clearing and this brick structure was a bit further up the hill. I had a good look around; I couldn't really see the bottom as it was full of mud and branches. It all looks like original brick, so unless you went down into the tunnel, I think this may be something else. Whatever it is though, I'm still curious about what it is and how come it's in that place. Anyway, I carried on up the hill and towards the left and ended up stumbling out of the brambles out onto the lower path on the meadow between the two woods. A couple walked past giving me a strange look, don't know what they must have thought. Out of curiosity, in the larger Hartshill Hayes wood I've seen stone in the outline of buildings a bit off the path not far from the visitors centre. Has anyone else seen this? Do you know what they may have been? Cheers

Question

Bedworth and Nuneaton
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
216 of 240  Tue 9th Feb 2016 2:21pm  

Hi all Wave Plans to build up to 180 homes on land off Astley Lane, in Bedworth, have been given the green light. Hearing the discussions on wireless, the issues being raised are not just from the NIMBY folk. Some of the fields where the houses are to be built were on Sunday under water. All the issues of building on flood-plains high on UK minds at present & a dipstick council here want to add to the problem. It's not just the houses that are built on the flood plain that are liable to flooding, it adds to the run-off which puts everyone else's homes at risk.
Bedworth and Nuneaton
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
217 of 240  Sun 21st Feb 2016 11:49am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1735

Philip. When they built the big school down Bulkington Lane by the canal, early fifties (forget the name) the field was like a lake, often wondered how it has stood the test of time? The twenty years I knew Bedworth, it was known for its pubs, hard working thirsty miners, and its Silver Band. Saturday lunchtime and the 'Hit and Miss' pub was crowded with servicemen, about ten 'yanks' were present, and it started off pleasant, but one of the yank said "Don't know where you guys would be if we hadn't come across" Brit, "And we don't know where you would be if you didn't send ten guys to do what two of us could do." Yank, "Well we may send a few more than you guys but we make sure the job is done, well and properly." Brit, "So when you go on honeymoon, you take a few of your mates, make sure the job is done properly." At this point tables and chairs and glasses flew around.
Bedworth and Nuneaton
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
218 of 240  Tue 14th Feb 2017 12:30pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:110

Kaga - I've just seen this and can confirm that the school in question was the Nicholas Chamberlaine Comprehensive School. I attended there in the 1960's and cannot remember any issues with waterlogging in the very extensive playing fields! You are right, it was a massive school with about 1800 pupils if I remember right and was essentially two schools in one, secondary modern and grammar. I think it is still going strong and now has an Academy status.
Bedworth and Nuneaton
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
219 of 240  Wed 15th Feb 2017 10:46am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1735

David H, thanks for the confirmation. I think they put drainage pipes down to the canal. I lived just behind the school for a few months in 1949, at the time I was working at Ansty Airfield - travel by bus to Broadgate, walk to Parkside then car to Ansty, a nightmare.
Bedworth and Nuneaton
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
220 of 240  Wed 15th Feb 2017 5:44pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:177

Kaga, I can confirm that Nicholas Chamberlaine School is still standing although looking at the 1950's technology I sometimes wonder how. There is a basement storage area below the stage in the big hall which is on the same level as the playing fields. A few years back it was distinctly damp in there. There must be a drainage system for the playing fields but I wonder about the future as the council relentlessly fills every open space with yet more houses which just increases the water run-off to a point where the old surface drains won't be able to cope.
Bedworth and Nuneaton
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
221 of 240  Sat 25th Feb 2017 1:08pm  

Hi all Wave A bit of business took me to Nuneaton this morning. I had intended a breaky at the Felix Holt pub (Wetherspoons) but it was heaving at ten this morning, so I/we walked to Masons café. Masons was a regular eatery for me when I was on business in Nuneaton, before my retirement 2012. I wasn't disappointed this morning when a lovely breaky arrived, along with a latte with change out of £5. That was brill, brill & brill. Same guy cooking, who even remembered me. All freshly cooked. Wave Cheers Masons Cafe, Nuneaton.
Bedworth and Nuneaton
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
222 of 240  Thu 2nd Mar 2017 12:59pm  

Hi all Wave Another gem, this time in Bedworth. The Mayor's Cafe I will pop some pics up in a tad, but to sum up a lovely eatery for a lite-bite or even lunch. It's situated in the Miners Welfare Park, free parking for up to three hours, but you must obtain a reg-number ticket from the machine. It's a few minutes walk from Bedworth town centre but on a nice day there are loads of short-cuts to reach it. Pam & I enjoyed the meal of the day for £3 each plus the drink. Very nicely prepared & served. After being refreshed, you can treat your loved one to a pot-plant or the like from the greenhouse sale room. This gets the "Forum" three brills award. Cheers
Bedworth and Nuneaton
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
223 of 240  Sat 4th Mar 2017 12:06pm  

Hi all Wave This info is also posted on the Coventry bus topic. Changes to Nuneaton routes from 4th March 2017 09 Feb 2017 to 11 Mar 2017 From 4th March 2017, there will be some changes to several routes in the Nuneaton area. Route 3 The 1645 Nuneaton to Weddington will no longer serve North Warwickshire and Hinckley College. As a result, on weekdays this journey will leave Nuneaton at 1653 and run 8 minutes later throughout. Route 7 The 1615 Nuneaton to Whitestone will now leave at 1610 and run 5 minutes earlier throughout. Route 10 There will be some minor timing changes on some early morning and late afternoon journey to maintain punctuality. Main Coventry Routes below. Route 48 A new 0449 Nuneaton to Coventry will run on weekdays, running via Hilltop 0455, Bedworth Mill St 0503, Coventry Rd/Bayton Rd 0507, Longford Square 0511, Courtaulds 0519 and arriving in Coventry at 0527. Additionally the college days only 0803 Coventry Rd/Bayton Road to Nuneaton will now leave at 0800 and run 3 minutes earlier throughout. Routes 55, 56 and 57 In order to reflect on changes in passenger travel patterns, several route and timetable changes have been made. Route 55 will no longer serve Keresley Village & Prologis Park (see route 57) and will instead run via Wheelwright Lane, providing a new faster journey between Nuneaton, George Eliot, Bedworth, Bedworth Heath, Ash Green and Coventry. Route 55 will continue to provide 2 buses an hour. Route 56 will no longer serve Cross Keys (see route 57) and will instead run via Dark Lane. Route 56 will continue to provide 2 buses an hour. On Sundays, route 56 will be rerouted between Attleborough, George Eliot Hospital and Nuneaton. Route 57 will no longer serve Dark Lane (see route 56) and will instead run via Cross Keys, Keresley Village and Prologis Park. Route 57 will now run hourly. Routes 55, 56 & 57 will combine to provide a service between Coventry, Holbrooks and Prologis Park Junction up to every 12 minutes with a journey time between these points as little as 15 minutes. route timetable updates Updated 01 Mar 2017, 09:03 Route Diagram
Bedworth and Nuneaton
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
224 of 240  Sat 8th Apr 2017 12:21pm  

Hi all Wave Of late for me, Bedworth & Nuneaton are really coming up trumps regards food & cafes. I had breaky in another new venue for me this morning. It's located at the rear of Caves fruit & veg shop, Queens Rd, Nuneaton. This is really first class, probably the best sausage anywhere. It's a slight mark up on price of other venues, but a huge mark-up in quality. Comfy chairs & tables in an airy well lit restaurant. It gets the brill, brill & brill award!! Thumbs up It's a bit like a Rupert adventure where you enter a fruit shop, only to come out the other side in China, or in this case a very smart café. You don't have to wear dark glasses & a trench coat, looking like Howard out of "Last of the Simmer Wine", in order to meet your 'date'. When my friend is smiling after his breakfast, that is a good sign, worth passing a few cafes for.
Bedworth and Nuneaton
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
225 of 240  Wed 31st May 2017 4:04pm  

Hi all Wave Nuneaton has clean pigeons.
Bedworth and Nuneaton

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 211 to 225 of 240 posts

Page 15 of 16

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 . 12 13 14 15 16
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Arthur Hutt VC
|

Next (newer) topic

Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
View similar topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 76ms)