No actionNo action
13 posts:
Order:    

marenqo
Newcastle
All posts by this member
1 of 13  Thu 18th Apr 2019 3:40pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2019  Total posts:6

Hi All, really enjoyed reading this forum over the last few months. Now, however, I have a question of my own. Does anyone know where exactly this photo was taken? I think I am certain that it is on the Spon End estate but where? The monkey bars are not there anymore. I also would like to know if someone knows where the photo comes from/ where it was published. Any hints, tips, help greatly appreciated!
The Specials in photographs
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 13  Thu 18th Apr 2019 5:00pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:680

Hi marenqo, welcome to the forum. The pic could well be Spon End and the group might be "The Specials" Thumbs up
marenqo
Newcastle
All posts by this member
3 of 13  Thu 18th Apr 2019 5:08pm  

Thanks scrutiny! Yes, this is The Specials, and I am quite certain it is somewhere on the Spon End estate, but I would like to know where exactly. There is playground on the estate, but it no longer has the monkey bars. I think the photo was taken in 1979, and my hunch it appeared in Sounds magazine, but it would be great if someone more knowledgeable has more details.
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
4 of 13  Thu 18th Apr 2019 10:55pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:42

This link Spon End Estate may help. I suspect the photo was taken in the centre of the open area slightly to the left from the "Cancer Research Binley" building. looking towards the NE and the "Meadow St" tower block.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
5 of 13  Sun 21st Apr 2019 11:17am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1480

I think you've pinpointed it. The park is still there but with new equipment.
marenqo
Newcastle
All posts by this member
6 of 13  Tue 23rd Apr 2019 12:34pm  

Hi Helen and Earlsdon Kid, Thank you very much for confirming my initial hunch. Very grateful! Now, I only need to get in touch with The Specials for permission to republish the photo for a book on Spon End. It will be open access, so I'll drop a link to the PDF once it's finished later this year. Thanks again!
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 13  Thu 25th Apr 2019 12:29pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2150

marenqo presume you have seen this one in the Warwick Road Goods yard?
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 13  Thu 25th Apr 2019 12:44pm  

And these off 'The Coventry Automatics' debut release (pre Specials) were taken from the car park by today's Ramada Hotel (former BT) in Butts/Queens Road - just up from Jerry's flat. Edited by member, 25th Apr 2019 3:38 pm
marenqo
Newcastle
All posts by this member
9 of 13  Fri 26th Apr 2019 4:12pm  

Hi NeilsYard, These are all great photos! Thanks for sharing. I think I have found the original photographer and the source. I think (75 percent certain) the image comes from a 7 April 1979 issue of Sounds magazine (no longer in circulation). The article is worth reading as it depicts a visitor's (ie. London) perspective on Coventry at that time. I think it is also one of the first national coverage pieces on The Specials. Thanks again for the great pics. Keep them coming!
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 13  Fri 26th Apr 2019 4:31pm  

I have mentioned Mark Osborne and his terrific thisisthen website before about the Coventry Music scene - you might enjoy these - http://thisthen.co.uk/bands/specials/# If you contact Mark via the site he may allow use of some of the images. There's some crackers on there of other bands too including a very pre-goth Robert Smith playing Warwick Uni in '79. You also probably know Terry Hall was originally in a great Cov Punk band called 'Squad' and co-wrote 'Red Alert' before leaving to join 'The Automatics'. Squad 'Red Alert'
marenqo
Newcastle
All posts by this member
11 of 13  Wed 1st May 2019 4:32pm  

These are great photographs, thanks! I managed to track down the original photographer and journalist of the image. The latter was the same person that 'discovered' Joy Division and others. There are some amazing photographs in the issue of the band at Coventry train station. The interview itself is also worth reading: Sounds magazine, 7 April 1979, special interview with The Specials. From the twitter account of the Terry Hall Fanpage.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 13  Thu 2nd May 2019 9:18am  

Thats another cracker - cheers!
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 13  Sat 4th May 2019 10:18am  

And another Marenqo. '79 again with The Specials first LP about to be released, photographer ‘Chalkie Davies’ was asked to organise a photo shoot - and they somehow got up on the Odeon Roof in Jordan Well. A mate of mine Alan Denyer who is involved with the CET and PVC buildings as well as the Visit Coventry website managed to get up the the loft section under there not long ago - Edited by member, 4th May 2019 10:20 am

Question

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Climax
|

Next (newer) topic

Middleborough Terrace