Next pageNo action
16 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
1 of 16  Sat 22nd Jun 2019 5:57pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2338

While looking for the location of Mr Wright's house my sister kindly offered to look at the items held by the British Library about Coventry and Mr Wright's house raffle in particular. She took photos of the 1731 South Prospect at the same time and when she sent them to me she threw me a bit of a curve ball. She said 'did you notice the big house on the skyline with the number 2 that in the key is 'New House'? I confess I hadn't noticed it at all Blush Might it be the house I was looking for as the advert said the house was new. Perhaps the map was merely an artists impression by someone who didn't know what it was going to look like and had just put something in to indicate where the new house was going to be? It seemed annoyingly plausible. The top picture is a rough blow up of the house on the Hill. The picture below that is labelled New House Radford (search in the library pictures for 3 images of the house). A much better fit than Mr Wright's house give or take the Tudor tower with the cupola. The 3 Tudor wings were built in 1576 by John Hales, the son of the nephew (also John Hales) of the original John Hales who acquired the land from the priories. The third wing was built in about 1700, in time to be captured in the South Prospect. The house was owned by a number of people. New House was sold in the early 17th century to Sir Richard Burnaby. It passed through the hands of a Mr. Cooke, of Sir Christopher Yelverton, who was the owner of it in 1640, and of George Bohun, and by 1730 had descended to Gilbert Clarke, husband of Bohun's daughter, Susan. The house was demolished in 1778 and another erected on the site; in the early 19th century this was owned and occupied by a Mr Joseph Smith and then possibly passed to his son Mr Joseph [II] Smith or maybe George Eld Smith? After which I don't know what happened to it. The pictures indicate the house stood back from the corner of 'The Coventry Road' and 'The road to Whitmore Park' and the new wing would have faced SSE in keeping with the South Prospect. Exactly which roads these were is debatable. The documentation calls the house Newhouse Keresley in a number of records it's referred to as Hales Place. Wherever it is, it must have been visible from the south of the city. The question is - where was it? Edited by member, 22nd Jun 2019 6:00 pm
New House, Radford or Keresley
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
2 of 16  Sat 22nd Jun 2019 8:37pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1794

David McGrory mentions this house in his book "The Illustrated History of Coventry Suburbs". He describes it as facing the Keresley Road, surrounded by formal gardens decorated with classic statues. It had 150 windows with views of the gardens and surrounding countyside including an area on the north side called "The Wilderness" and the three spires in the south (so must have been fairly high up. I have a copy of the map of the South Prospect 1731 and the house marked no.2 does have a lot of Windows!). That house was demolished in 1778 and he says an advert in 1779 in the Coventry Mercury had materials of the house for sale (Neil, another source for the ARBOUR?). McGrory then says that all that remained after the demolition were the Keresley Road entrance pillars surmounted by balls. Later a small "comfortable" residence was built which belonged to the Hopkins and Smith families until 1816. Later Abraham Barbery Herbert acquired it, enlarged it and renamed it "Moat House". This building was demolished in the late 1920's and housing sprang up. I am sure I have read somewhere that it was near the junction of Tamworth Road and the Keresley Road just past the Old Shepherd and the grass area that comes to a V between the 2 roads is something to do with it. I have copied the picture from his book but will remove it shortly. The side of the house looks more like the drawing on the map.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
3 of 16  Sat 22nd Jun 2019 8:52pm  

Surprisingly this 1899 map shows the Moat House more south than I thought, more on the junction of Brownshill Green Road and Radford Road, just after what we used to call the High Mounts on the Radford Road.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
4 of 16  Sat 22nd Jun 2019 8:56pm  

Even better, 1912
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
5 of 16  Sat 22nd Jun 2019 9:20pm  

My thanks Anne. Thumbs up It was one of the places I thought it could be but it's a bit further out than I thought it could still be seen. It ties in with the references to it being a Keresley rather than Radford.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
6 of 16  Sat 22nd Jun 2019 9:50pm  

I was pleased to find the info Helen, I have always wondered where the New House was. As I said I always thought it was a little further north. I could not imagine how such a large place could disappear but looking at the housing that was built there it is easy to see. I have never really thought where Radford finishes and Keresley starts but now I know! It must have been a lovely place then.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
7 of 16  Sat 22nd Jun 2019 10:20pm  

Just doing a Google search for New House I came across this site. Coventry and Warwickshire Astronomical Society It actually has a picture of a map showing New House, but will also be of interest to anyone interested in things astronomical.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
8 of 16  Sat 22nd Jun 2019 11:37pm  

I don't think that the house on the hill can be that New House. It would be too far away.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
9 of 16  Sun 23rd Jun 2019 8:08am  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1497

I always found New House references to it being in Keresley.
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 16  Sun 23rd Jun 2019 10:26am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1604

To confirm (I hope) what you've shown on the maps above, I'm pretty sure that on a walkabout some years ago with David McGrory, he pointed to this location on Google Maps as the place where New House once stood. (I've just remembered to check in his 2011 Then & Now book, and indeed that is the location.)
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
11 of 16  Sun 23rd Jun 2019 10:51am  

That is exactly where I would have put it Rob, and the answer to Prof’s question is that is where Radford ends and Keresley begins. I have only just realised that as what I have always thought of Keresley is actually Keresley Village. In my teens I went to a party on the Keresley Road in house a young man had inherited from his parents. He also owned another house on that corner, I can’t remember exactly what was there but the houses were pulled down to build those flats, that would have been in the 1960’s.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
12 of 16  Sun 23rd Jun 2019 11:00am  

Sorted Thumbs up The next questions then are - could a house in that location be seen from where the South Prospect was drawn? Was it drawn in as artistic license? Was it a different house? If so, what was it?
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
13 of 16  Sun 23rd Jun 2019 1:18pm  

I think there must be a lot of artistic licence on these prospect maps. I can’t think of anywhere in the south that all of that would be visible. Would the whole of St Michael's and Holy Trinity be visible like that. Looking at the picture Spon Street is going off to the left from Bablake Church and Spon Gate. Above that is another row of trees which could be Holyhead Road, there is a windmill marked which is probably the one at Allesley which puts New House in the right direction. I think it was the only important house in the area at that time, would you have another one at that time. It does also say there were good views from the windows and they could see the spires. It is difficult to imagine a large house on its own in that position as it is so built up as it is now but it has my vote Helen Thumbs up
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
14 of 16  Sun 23rd Jun 2019 6:53pm  

I'm not sure what could be seen. The landscape now is very different. If you think, the ring road is taller than... well it's probably taller than St Mary's Hall and would dwarf the old city wall. Even ignoring the taller buildings, an ordinary 2 storey is taller than the average house when the panorama was created. There are even more trees. Sightlines are no more. Originally there was a bump to the south of the railway station I think. I suppose if I pulled my finger out and created the raw landscape for the 3D model I'd know what could be seen. Roll eyes Edited by member, 23rd Jun 2019 6:53 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
15 of 16  Sun 23rd Jun 2019 7:46pm  

Imagine the following pictures with a lot fewer trees and buildins.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Church Walking days
|

Next (newer) topic

Allesley