Next pageLast page
94 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 94  Thu 7th Apr 2011 2:42pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1575

Add any you know - I always knew this but for those who don't : Stan and Ollie Clark Gable stopped at the Abbey Hotel Kenilworth as well apparently! And how about this one - not quite Coventry but all the same! Steve McQueen in Meriden
Famous Coventry Visitors
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 94  Thu 7th Apr 2011 6:45pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3033

The bike used in The Great Escape was also a Triumph TR6 Trophy but disguised as German BMW.
Famous Coventry Visitors
Wighter
Isle of Wight
All posts by this member
3 of 94  Fri 8th Apr 2011 7:57pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2011  Total posts:34

My late uncle was a chief buyer for Triumph in Meriden! Would have been around this time but he never mentioned Steve McQueen!
Famous Coventry Visitors
rojwhittle
derbyshire
All posts by this member
4 of 94  Fri 9th Sep 2011 10:59pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:57

I worked for Harry Ferguson Research at Toll Bar End in the sixties and remember Stirling Moss, Bruce McLaren, Graham Hill, Mike Hawthorn, Jim Clark (before he was really famous), Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus, and Raymond Baxter visiting the factory at various times. When I worked at Meriden later, in 1976, the Stranglers visited to, I think, pick up a bike for their lead singer.
Famous Coventry Visitors
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 94  Mon 12th Sep 2011 2:36am  

roj - really interesting! I'm a bit F1/Lotus enthusiast (and owner!) I've seen a photo of Chapman and Clark with a Climax Fork-Lift at the factory. The Lotus 64 ran Ford engines and Ferguson transmission for Indianapolis circa 1969. Presume this may have been a visit to plan.
Famous Coventry Visitors
rojwhittle
derbyshire
All posts by this member
6 of 94  Mon 12th Sep 2011 3:37pm  

Hi Neilsyard, I had a Lotus Elite years ago, with a climax engine, one of the most beautiful small coupes ever. I worked on the Novi Indy car whilst at HFR. Andy Granatelli was the boss of STP-Novi then, and used to go around with a man who used to wash his feet for him anywhere and anytime. we had a great time there, as well as lots of interesting cars to play with. There is a thing called The Ferguson Family Museum in Freshwater Isle of Wight, which has a number of old prototypes and thousands of pictures, well worth a visit. My email is public if you want to drop me a line anytime, to chat about my lifelong obsession.
Famous Coventry Visitors
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
7 of 94  Mon 12th Sep 2011 4:12pm  

Like this one?
Famous Coventry Visitors
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 94  Mon 12th Sep 2011 5:51pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3862

I received years of orthopaedic surgery at the Paybody Hospital in Allesley as an infant, child & teenager. One of the entertainers who came to visit us was Mr. Pastry. I think 1956. This is a library picture of him from Flickr, it is not my picture. If you will pardon the pun, he had everyone in stitches. Lol
Famous Coventry Visitors
rojwhittle
derbyshire
All posts by this member
9 of 94  Mon 12th Sep 2011 9:03pm  

On 12th Sep 2011 4:12pm, dutchman said:
Thanks Dutchman - exactly like this one, except mine was eggshell blue. Wonderful little car, with lots of bits from Coventry - body reinforcements from CovRad, engine Climax, Moss gearbox from Leamington and brakes from Lockheed. Ooh I've gone all nostalgic and if I could run, would now go round the garden making motor car noises.
Famous Coventry Visitors
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 94  Mon 12th Sep 2011 11:09pm  

Roj - fantastic! I love hearing stories from the glory days of Coventry car production. Would have been superb meeting Andy Granatelli. Colin Chapman was a real hero of an engineer of mine. I'm sure he kept his workers on his toes but a real genius. I recall a neighbour of my mum pulled up to me years ago after he saw my Lotus on her drive - a fellow petrolhead. He worked at Browns Lane and knew William Lyons. I was fascinated by him telling me things like when Lyons would make him bounce up and down in the back of a prototype XK120 whilst it was being driven to test suspension clearences!! Those really were the days it seems. I bet you wish you still had that fantastic Elite Roj - have you seen the prices they go for now!!
Famous Coventry Visitors
rojwhittle
derbyshire
All posts by this member
11 of 94  Tue 13th Sep 2011 2:27pm  

Hi Neils. Yes I do wish I still had it. The prices would not matter, as it would not be for sale. I can not get interested in any modern cars, however exotic. You will not be pleased to know I now drive around in an old Peugeot 306 auto, and this after things lik Alfa gtv, Citroen DS, Merc SLs, Lotus Elite, Elan and Seven. I wish I could have all the money back as well. Interesting you should think I knew Granatelli. I worked around him for weeks, but not once did say hello. I did have an interesting afternoon with William Lyons once, when he came into Jaguar to look at The XJS, which he hated. He explained to me why it did not look like a Jaguar (he thought it looked like a Datsun), and told me how to fashion the "pelvic muscle" over the rear wing. He was a nice man, a lost breed.
Famous Coventry Visitors
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
12 of 94  Wed 14th Sep 2011 3:16am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2900

Not a mention of famous visitors here NeilsYard but on the subject of old cars. My husband bought a 1936 BSA Scout two-seater back in 1959 I think it was, it only had one owner previously who had it standing in her garage and wanted to get rid of it as her husband had died. Well, we had it for a few years and had so much joy out of it touring as far down as Plymouth. The radiator over heated on Porlock Hill and we know what a pain that used to be during bank holiday in a traffic jam, but all was well after a while and we had lots of waves and offer to help. Grand little car. The last time we saw trace of it was in the Mayfair magazine showing old cars at a motor show in some stately home. Would love to know where it is now. Will have to dig the photos out sometime. Cheers.
Famous Coventry Visitors
Elaine
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 94  Wed 14th Sep 2011 9:49am  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:68

My late husband used to work at Land Rover and he had seen Bryan Adams (known for his love of Land Rovers) at the site, checking out his latest purchase.
Famous Coventry Visitors
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
14 of 94  Wed 14th Sep 2011 3:30pm  

I saw the late author Beryl Bainbridge once when she visited my stepfather's art gallery in Hearsall Lane. That would have been around 1974. The weird thing was she was also on the TV upstairs talking to (I think) Melvyn Bragg at the same time she was drinking whisky with my stepfather downstairs!
Famous Coventry Visitors
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
15 of 94  Mon 7th Nov 2011 12:00am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2262

The most famous person ever to visit Coventry must be King Henry VI who resided here in safety and made Coventry the capital of England until he left. Smile
Famous Coventry Visitors

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 94 posts

Page 1 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Wartime defences
|

Next (newer) topic

Family History research
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)