No actionNo action
68 posts:
Order:    

dave owens
california usa
All posts by this member
61 of 68  Wed 23rd May 2018 7:12pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:61

On 5th Apr 2014 3:48pm, mcsporran said: I recommend trying familysearch.org rather than either findmypast or ancestry. For one thing it's free, but depending on what part of the world your interest lies, it often has better coverage. And if you store your family tree there it won't be removed when you no longer subscribe, future generations will benefit from your research without having to pay them to see what you provided for free. Their granite mountain storage facility should enable your family history information to survive even a nuclear war! Edited by member, 5th Apr 2014 3:55 pm
Do you have to be a member of the church to join this site because every time I try to enter the word they tell you to, it will not let me sign on.
Family History research
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
62 of 68  Thu 24th May 2018 8:03am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:458

Since writing that, they no longer allow searches unless you have an account. You don't have to be a member of the church though to sign up and it's still free. familysearch.org/register
Family History research
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
63 of 68  Thu 24th May 2018 11:45am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1791

We are lucky that the LDS still enable us to access their records free and it is available online. When I first started doing family trees in the 1980's (to keep my brain working after I left work to have kids!) everything had to be sent for or a visit to a local record office was neccessary. The IGI was available from the Latter Day Saints but you had to pay for them to be printed out and you sent for a name in a county. In the end I treated myself to a second hand microfiche reader and sets of microfilm copies for Warwickshire, Staffordshire and several surrounding counties, which were for all the births and marriages in those counties. Sometimes it is easier to look through the name of a family you are researching and spot things. I still have these so if I can look up anything I am quite happy to. Incidentally the first family tree software I used was "Brothers Keeper" which was also free from the LDS. Don't forget that the IGI is only an index for the original parish register or bishop's transcript. You can't beat looking at the original document, sometimes more information is available on there and just knowing that your ancestors were there were the information was written. Ancestry do have the original documents for Warwickshire online.
Family History research
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
64 of 68  Sat 25th Apr 2020 6:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5668

Free access to digital records
Family History research
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
65 of 68  Sun 26th Apr 2020 9:54pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2328

Thanks MR Thumbs up
Family History research
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
66 of 68  Sat 2nd May 2020 5:54pm  

British Museum Makes 1.9 Million Images Available for Free "The British Museum has all sorts of photographs available and many of them may interest genealogists. The odds of having a photograph of your ancestors are slim, but you may find historic photographs of the town or other local areas where ancestors lived as well as photographs of military units, landmarks, clothing, and even the Admonitions Scroll made in China over 1600 years ago. "The British Museum has revamped its online collections database, making over 1.9 million photos of its collection available for free online under a Creative Commons license. (That license allows free non-commercial use of the photographs.) "Under the new agreement the majority of the 1.9 million images are being made available for anyone to use for free under a Creative Commons 4.0 license. Users no longer need to register to use these photographs, and can now download them directly from the British Museum. "Details may be found at https://bit.ly/2YiBW1k
Family History research
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
67 of 68  Tue 5th May 2020 9:32pm  

Who Do You Think You Are has announced that Ancestry celebrates the 75th anniversary of VE Day with free access from 4 to 10 May. UK records include census and parish records, military records, and the 1939 Register. Start searching here. Registration is required.
Family History research
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
68 of 68  Sat 16th May 2020 1:13pm  

The Oxford Surnames Dictionary usually retails at £400 but until 21st of this month it has been released from a paywall. Giving many derivatives and the type of surname eg genitive, locative, occupational etc Link
Family History research

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 68 of 68 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Radenite batteries
|

Next (newer) topic

Stoke Green