Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5582

Gosh! So do I, after mine Oh my
Coronavirus - COVID-19
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
227 of 245  Sat 16th May 2020 5:11pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1139

Things have changed here at Willowbrook too, and I'm broken-hearted. I am no longer allowed hugs from the carers. Sad Sad
Coronavirus - COVID-19
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
228 of 245  Sat 16th May 2020 5:14pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1139

But I'm still better off than members of the Flat Earth Society. They are worried that this social distancing will push them over the edge. Smile Smile
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
229 of 245  Sat 16th May 2020 7:55pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2114

The last I heard, the ACE inhibitors had been cleared of guilt in aiding covid19. Trials of vaccine seem to be going well and in theory we are creating our own manufacturing capability, rather than relying on other countries as we do for the annual flu vaccine, so it might not be too long before you can have your hugs back. Thumbs up
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
230 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 1:01am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3519

I give em' for free. Have one on me Helen. Thumbs up
Coronavirus - COVID-19
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
231 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 9:45am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4322

Morning all Wave Thank you & greetings, Dreamtime. As of tomorrow, eight weeks will have elapsed since the 23rd March, the official start of UK government lockdown. Doesn't time fly. A game of footy was played in Germany yesterday, for the first time in ages, in a stadium where the previous game played to a crowd of over forty thousand, yesterday there were three hundred odd. Down under, Dreamtime could have gone to a pub/restaurant in New South Wales, with three floors, huge assembly lounges & dining areas, capable of holding & serving hundreds, yet only ten folk at a time permitted just now. Accountants hate surprises & unknowns. Few folk in our society are untouched by this pandemic, some with devastated lifestyles, some where it has been more of a nuisance & inconvenience. I try not to take anything for granted, as I survey the financial state of our land. For those of my age, questions like, will the state pension hold up, will our private or company pensions hold up? I have a peep at AkzoNobel company news now & again, who underpin my company pension pot. Will my bus pass be maintained or will there be any buses more to the point? I've almost forgotten what the Belgrade café looks like, or Wetherspoons, or the Ball Hill diner café. Ball Hill, where's that! My Pam has been out & about far more than me in the last eight weeks. Several visits to Walsgrave Hospital, one visit to Rugby St Cross as well as a visit to the Meriden centre. I've not been permitted to travel with her on any of these outings. I'm her designated fulltime carer, so I've not been permitted to travel with her, the driver & just one passenger in a car rule restriction. Thank goodness for our church pastor & grandson, her current taxi drivers. So, what for the future? Online shopping? Our high streets? Our city economy, which is so reliant on University students? Plus all the other segments of society. What will Coventry be like next spring?
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
232 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 12:03pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
233 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 1:00pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:228

Got to disagree with you there Helen - who was ever inspired by a computer? Good quality teachers make all the difference, now training of teachers is something that needs to be looked at, they should be doing the majority of it in schools, I think. I've been a school governor for about 20 years now, and I've seen a lot of things change in schools, some good, some bad, but overall the quality of education is improving. A teacher related the story of a lad who changed his name to "connecting....." and then claimed he was having problems and would have to drop out.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
234 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 1:36pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5582

Nice touch from one of our villagers Thumbs up
Coronavirus - COVID-19
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
235 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 2:30pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:706

Helen F, one such school is The School of the Air, started in 1951. It has now moved onto the internet and is successful. I quote: “Studies have shown that such education has a parity with, if not better, standards than conventional methods of schooling.” I would imagine it would also prevent a lot of the bullying. Thumbs up
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
236 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 3:18pm  
Off-topic / chat  

scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
237 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 4:19pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:706

The School of the Air is interactive between teacher and pupil, it is in the 21st century. Homework is immediately back to the teacher by internet. They also do individual attention, seen it in action. Smile Edited by member, 17th May 2020 4:22 pm
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
238 of 245  Sun 17th May 2020 4:22pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3519

Rather annoying to say my daughter has had to take 5 days off from teaching two grades in one classroom after having only two weeks back to school after the holidays, the reason being she thought it her duty to be tested and now has to wait 5 days to get the results, although she is perfectly well. That's another 5 days to be wasted at home. Most of her holiday was spent setting up the lessons program for the on line education system which some of the parents knew very little about or didn't have the time. Seems to me some of the parents need some further education too. Roll eyes
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
239 of 245  Tue 19th May 2020 11:28pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:660

When will it end… will it end? The anti-lockdown backlash has started: The entrepreneur Simon Dolan has mounted a legal challenge to the government’s draconian actions, but in the Sunday Times there were two well-reasoned articles, one from entrepreneur Luke Johnson and the other from a former Supreme Court judge. Johnson opines that "we committed economic and democratic suicide based on junk science from Imperial College London and the hypercritical Neil Ferguson… an obsession with ‘safety’ – as if life itself were a safe undertaking – means we are struggling to reopen schools, businesses and public transport…the authorities must stop scaring us, give us back our freedoms and let us live full." Perhaps the most insightful explanation of what’s happening comes in a separate article in the same paper from former Supreme Court judge Lord Sumption when he says: “Free people make mistakes and willingly take risks. If we hold the politicians responsible for everything that goes wrong they will take away our liberty so that nothing can go wrong. They will do this not for our protection against risk but for their own protection against criticism.” The panic in Westminster caused by Neil Ferguson’s worst case figure of 510,000 deaths “pushed the government into making a decision that mocks our humanity and treats us all as mere tools of government policy. Think these feelings are held only by the privileged few? With a net worth of £200 million confirmed in this week’s Rich List, you might well bracket Simon Dolan in that category too. He was going to fund the £175,000 action himself until his lawyer suggested that others might want to get on board. To date, business people have stumped up a six-figure sum to support the legal challenge. According to The Times, Boris Johnson has tried to blind the public with “the science” with a first-year schoolkid equation like T = R + n, where R has a typical value between 0.2 and 3 (hopefully less than 1, or we are all up the creek without a paddle), and n is the number of deaths, which is in the thousands, according to which paper you read. In other words, it’s as meaningful as dividing your annual salary by the square root of the length, in metres (allowing for seasonal adjustments, of course), of your neighbour’s garden path up the road. I’ve always said that they’re spelling pandemic wrong, by adding in three erroneous letters, namely d, e and m. It’s the Covid-19 panic. According to David Icke, this coronavirus thing doesn’t exist, and is a con to control the public. But I’d advise a large dose of salt here, as he thinks the royal family are all reptiles descended from ancient alien creatures. Wink
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
240 of 245  Sun 24th May 2020 1:28pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:228

The unreliability of Ferguson's "model" has been known about for at least 13 years, read "Scared to Death," by Christopher Booker and Richard North. (2007) Personally I would question his motives, he is an environmental activist. It was on the basis of his model that hundreds of thousands of healthy cattle were killed during the last foot & mouth outbreak. America has only just allowed English beef back into the country following the scare over BSE where Ferguson's model predicted 2,000,000 deaths over the next 25 years. Thus far, 21 years later, less than 300 have died. Hopefully it means they will also look again at the spurious models used to predict climate change. All of this has highlighted the utter inefficiency of the state machine. Totally London-centric, refusing to learn from past mistakes, and more and more inward looking. I did think when Boris Johnson was elected, that his experience outside Whitehall might mean a change in attitude, alas not. Even this week he is still quoting Ferguson's 500,000 UK deaths. Worldwide deaths so far <400K - average flu deaths each year 450-600K. Surely this has been the most successful act of self-destruction ever performed by a UK government, and one which will lead to millions of deaths worldwide over the next twenty to fifty years.
Coronavirus - COVID-19

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 226 to 240 of 245 posts

Page 16 of 17

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .. 13 14 15 16 17
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Broadgate
|

Next (newer) topic

Hillfields