Next pageLast page
426 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
391 of 426  Mon 14th Sep 2020 4:48pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4395

Wetherspoons pubs in Coventry with Cov19 spike, reports today.
News, Media and Current Affairs - Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
392 of 426  Mon 14th Sep 2020 6:26pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2331

Hi Philip, hope you're both dong ok. Wave Warrington has shot up from near the bottom to almost joint 5th in about 3 weeks Oh my I could be in local lock down any day. I'd have to put a mask on to pop in here. Wink
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
393 of 426  Mon 14th Sep 2020 8:19pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:333

On 14th Sep 2020 4:48pm, PhilipInCoventry said: Wetherspoons pubs in Coventry with Cov19 spike, reports today.
Somebody who later tested positive had been to Wetherspoon's pubs on 3rd - 6th September so it is a bit late to be warning people as most people who are going to develop symptoms will have done so by now. If everybody who went to Wetherspoons was self isolating the city would be empty. There is a separate news story "Wetherspoon: 66 staff test positive across 50 pubs". The general population would have had 43 cases since the pubs re-opened so it isn't that much higher, particularly when you think that several pubs are in lock-down areas. I spent most of my holiday dining at various 'spoons and they were all well run with good distancing, even if this meant waiting outside in the rain (it was the UK).
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
394 of 426  Sun 27th Sep 2020 9:55pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:769

The number of discarded face masks thrown onto pavements increases daily, even in posh towns like Leamington Spa. I have seen it for myself with my own eyes I have. It is reported that many local authorities throughout the land are concerned about this menace, because they potentially contain active covid germs or molecules. It is arguably more disgusting than smokers who think that the law on litter does not apply to their fag ends. There was a good cartoon in today's Times. A driver has stopped on a red light in Westminster. But the traffic light doesn't have the normal red, amber and green. Instead, there are about 8 different coloured lights on the one gantry, and the driver is saying "stop, go, wait, stop, go, go, stop, stop, go, wait..." That about sums it up. I think those figures speak for themselves.
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
395 of 426  Wed 30th Sep 2020 3:50pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:369

Overheard in a supermarket queue. An apparently respectable lady said that this wearing of masks is nonsense, that there is no crisis, it has all been made up to cover the Brexit issue.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
396 of 426  Wed 30th Sep 2020 7:15pm  

Covid-19: Coventry University student flats partygoers flout rules Entirely predictable, just a shame it happened in Coventry. Hopefully they will learn two important lessons. 1) Don't break the law. 2) Don't post it on the internet if you do.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
397 of 426  Wed 30th Sep 2020 9:03pm  

On 30th Sep 2020 3:50pm, argon said: Overheard in a supermarket queue. An apparently respectable lady said that this wearing of masks is nonsense, that there is no crisis, it has all been made up to cover the Brexit issue.
Sounds like the drunk I encountered on the train to EUS early one morning (the one who was breaking the law by not wearing a mask). He reckoned there was no coronavirus, it was all a load of rubbish etc. I did not comment. To put this covid thing into perspective, the number of people who have died of covid this year is a fraction of the number dying of other things each year (source: a "quality" broadsheet). That's statistics. My fear is that the rate of infection and deaths might just take off, exponentially or whatever. There's also the danger that the virus thing might mutate faster then we can combat it, similar to bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics. According to Dawkins, in his book The Selfish Gene, we, and animals, are only here to continue the survival of microscopic organisms cells like genes (I am not a biologist). Food for thought.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
398 of 426  Thu 1st Oct 2020 11:21am  

Hi all, In my school era, the longest word in the English language comes to mind, which I have mentioned previously. Disestablishmentarianism. No longer the longest word, but it will do. We herd by instinct, which is then corrected by our mind, if appropriate. We copycat at the drop of a hat. On any non-pandemic day, I stand in the middle of Coventry & providing it’s safe to do so look up to the sky. Before long, there will be a sea of faces looking up. At that point, I walk away. Mention the word panic buying, or if a public figure makes an ill-informed gesture along those lines, supermarket shelves are emptied in no time. Herds of cattle, hornets or locusts, it amounts to much the same. The ability to reason has to be learnt.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
399 of 426  Tue 6th Oct 2020 12:12pm  

Hi all, Possibly a worrying development. ONLY MY OPINION There's a notion that younger folk, who even if they become infected with Cov19, will usually skip any serious illness as a result. Those where their immune system acts quickly so the virus doesn't take hold may escape, but increasingly, those who have even a mild illness may suffer consequences later in life. Lung infections often do have a tagatele, left behind. The current pandemic may be behaving similar to the 1918-1920 pandemic. Complications from that pandemic included rheumatic fever, a consequence from throat infections, that weakens muscle tissue including heart valves. At present, the subject is being described as long term coronavirus, affecting young & middle age groups. I see this as very worrying, because obesity & diabetes were not as prevalent then as they are now. Just one study of many studies BBC News item
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
400 of 426  Wed 7th Oct 2020 9:52am  

Whatever the technical & diagnostic areas of this pandemic, one thing stands out - the catastrophic change to the world order, particularly in the parts of the world where control performance was expected to provide good management, but has failed & is still failing, as more areas face further lockdown procedures. Some things will never return to pre-pandemic norm, I believe. Have a good day, all.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
401 of 426  Wed 7th Oct 2020 10:34am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2331

Hi Philip Wave I'm hoping that when we're over the hump, that the government will do a boost for theatres and music venues by having a similar scheme to the Eat Out to Help Out. The field needs to respond to it though by having a year of popular, upbeat shows. I go to theatres regularly and the things that sell are murders, musicals, comedies and old favourites like Shakespeare. The cast and crew like doing odd and often dark stuff for their own variety. They can't indulge themselves while they are trying to get back on track. While I was in Coventry they did a buy x get y free scheme and apart from the first year they did it, I struggled to find the minimum x to get the y. The other shows I chose to fulfil my freebies were rarely worth going to. One I severely regretted signing up for and wasn't going to go to but was saved by the Belgrade ringing up to ask if they could cancel, as not enough people had bought tickets. Classical music must do the same. Fewer of the obscure and often poor works and more of what people choose on Classic FM. The arts may discover a joy in serving a wider public what they want and getting bums on seats for a change.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
402 of 426  Wed 7th Oct 2020 11:13am  

Hi Helen, Yes, services that we need we will continue to need, arts, crafts, domestics, the list goes on. The medium of delivery is what may change. Chamber orchestra, Palm court orchestra, record player, tape recorder, radiogram, Hi-Fi, wide screen tele, just the evolution of music in our private homes, what will come next? Multiply that by all other manner of human needs, which takes us into multi bubble lifestyles. Mathematical models are already being looked at in business to see just how commerce might pan out. Sets & circles from my senior school days are coming to mind. So sorry you got wet.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
403 of 426  Wed 7th Oct 2020 7:34pm  

Every day, the "news" makes me think that what I first thought/suspected a few weeks ago, i.e. a second total lockdown of the country, is getting nearer. According to the news on the radio yesterday, Boris is optimistic (gung-ho) because he wants to use covid “as a catalyst” to making sure every home in the country is carbon neutral and powered from wind within 10 years. I do wonder who dreams up and writes this stuff for him. Number one, he talks of covid being a catalyst as if covid and global warming issues are somehow inextricably linked, or that one causes the other. Wrong. They are two completely different things. Number two, I cannot see 100% wind energy in 10 years happening. Right now only about 20% of our energy is from wind. A fivefold increase in 10 years? Every large project undertaken, whither needed or not, overruns. A small project like Kenilworth station was years late. Crossrail is years behind. (Don’t even think of HS2 unless you want to depress yourself.) And the final cost is always way over budget. I’ve just remembered the “smart meters for everyone” project. Another disaster. Dumb meters is a more accurate description. A year ago, I foolishly let edf (like all energy billing companies, a big organisation full of incompetents not fit for purpose) persuade me to have a smart meter fitted. It worked fine for a short while, then the little box stopped communicating. I reported it last year. I’ve reported it to them several times, email, phone etc., raised a complaint, because they kept extracting excessive sum by direct debit, all based on estimated or inaccurate readings. edf has totally ignored me for 10 months. I’d had enough, so cancelled the DD. They woke up within 2 days! They don’t like it when DD is cancelled. I’m ignoring the overdue amount they claim I owe. They still don’t know what they’re doing, and a recent email says the smart meters are not communicating. I sent a snotty letter to their head office informing them I’d told them exactly the same thing 10 months ago, and had been totally ignored ever since. I have no confidence they will ever sort it out, so am dobbing them in to the ombudsman. Last time I used the ombudsman, against another bunch of idiots, eon, I won within two weeks. I’d urge anyone with utility company problems not to waste their time if they start messing up, and go straight to the ombudsman. It’s a scientific fact that all energy, sooner or later, ends up as heat. I don’t think it’s been thought through by politician. It’s all very well saying “carbon neutral”, but the energy has to come from somewhere. Gigawatts, terawatts or whatever of electrical power will need a lot of wind. That will slow down the earth’s natural air currents. I don’t have any figures, but it may well upset the global weather systems and ecosystems. There’s always a price to pay. The other thing that irks me is the latest balls-up with the covid figures. Allegedly, a whole section was not added because of a “computer error”, a “computer glitch”. Rubbish. If the whole system had gone belly up, then it could have been a hardware failure, but it’s extremely unlikely. It’s hardly likely that it would have only affected a selected portion of data. It’s a pathetic and easy excuse to blame the computer. The weak link in all digital technology is the software. Most software has bugs, holes, inconsistencies etc. After two years of working ok (I’m ignoring lots of little bugs, random meaningless messages on screen, the operating system having a mind of its own…), last week when I pressed the button to switch on, my “smart” phone decided to do a factory reset and delete everything, all my contacts and texts. I’m told that HTC phones are apt to do this. The software is written by human beings, so it would be more honest of the government to admit “we cocked up, it was a human error”. Most probably an operator.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
404 of 426  Wed 7th Oct 2020 7:58pm  

On 7th Oct 2020 9:52am, PhilipInCoventry said:
Danse macabre for organ?
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
405 of 426  Thu 8th Oct 2020 12:43am  

On 7th Oct 2020 7:34pm, Slim said: ...The other thing that irks me is the latest balls-up with the covid figures. Allegedly, a whole section was not added because of a “computer error”, a “computer glitch”. Rubbish. If the whole system had gone belly up, then it could have been a hardware failure, but it’s extremely unlikely. It’s hardly likely that it would have only affected a selected portion of data. It’s a pathetic and easy excuse to blame the computer. The weak link in all digital technology is the software. Most software has bugs, holes, inconsistencies etc. After two years of working ok (I’m ignoring lots of little bugs, random meaningless messages on screen, the operating system having a mind of its own…), last week when I pressed the button to switch on, my “smart” phone decided to do a factory reset and delete everything, all my contacts and texts. I’m told that HTC phones are apt to do this. The software is written by human beings, so it would be more honest of the government to admit “we cocked up, it was a human error”. Most probably an operator.
The software was written by Microsoft - Excel! They ran out of columns and nobody noticed. The £10M test and trace system is being run on software that costs £48/year.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 391 to 405 of 426 posts

Page 27 of 29

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 26 27 28 29
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry newspapers
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Weather & Blether