Next pageLast page
436 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 436  Fri 28th Feb 2020 9:30am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4390

Morning all, Just a trial topic, especially with the current virus news. It's not to replace historical hospital topics or past posts. We may merge this back into the sorry state topic if needed.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
2 of 436  Fri 28th Feb 2020 9:48am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2330

Thanks Philip. I've a few things in mind that perhaps individuals should think about, now that a pandemic is almost inevitable. I shop online periodically with Morrisons. I've just signed up for unlimited deliveries (so long as you spend £40 a time on shopping) for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday for £35 (for a year) because I can see home deliver prices shooting up if people choose to stay away from the shops. I'm also hoping that pass holders would get priority if slots get in short supply. Worth a thought. Home delivery is quite useful for bulky or heavy items, and frozen stuff in very hot weather since the delivery vans have fridges and freezers to keep stuff at the right temperatures. Edited by member, 28th Feb 2020 9:55 am
Coronavirus - COVID-19
OddSock
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 436  Fri 28th Feb 2020 10:04am  
Member: Joined Mar 2018  Total posts:22

I'm no expert in this field and so, like many others I imagine, I listen to the various news reports and interviews with relevant medical boffins with interest. The other day, whilst listening to the radio (showing my age!), I was interested to hear one such boffin dismiss the wearing of face masks! Her opinion was that many people wear them for the wrong reasons, assuming it will prevent you contracting an airbourne virus, like coronavirus. She went on to say that a face mask should be worn to protect others from YOUR infection - ie: your coughing/sneezing, and the infected droplets that releases into the air! However, that said, she warned that this too can create issues - saying that a build up of these droplets can moisten the face mask, which itself can become uncomfortable to wear. In 'adjusting' the mask on your face, she claimed you're more likely to touch infected parts of the mask, and so then pass on the infection with your now-contaminated hands!! if ever you fancied a trip to Antarctica, now seems like a good time to start packing your suitcase!
Odd Sock (there

Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
4 of 436  Fri 28th Feb 2020 11:16am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2330

OddSock, I know where they're coming from with this but it's a slightly flawed logic. Definitely handwashing in soap and water is the best protection all round, use sanitizer if you can't use soap, followed by not touching your mouth with potentially contaminated hands. The act of wearing a mask stops you touching your mouth. What the 'no mask' argument assumes is that the mask wearers will infect themselves taking the mask off and that many types of mask offer low protection anyway. But they do offer some protection and you can follow safety advice taking masks off. Two people wearing masks with one infected, offers two layers of mask between those people. Masks keep you alert to the risk of infection. The better the mask (especially the fit to the face), the better the protection. However it's reaching moot point because masks are in increasingly short supply and rapidly rising in price. For those who work and mix with many different people, it would be nigh impossible, simply due to the number of masks you'd need. But those who can and want to limit their contacts, it might be a viable choice. It's the government's job to try and protect everyone, so advice may not always be best for an individual. Government advice may even change anyway. If you can keep from infecting yourself handling the mask and you've got them, by all means use them, especially if you end up caring for someone with the virus. Doing things like reusing masks is much more risky and if you consider doing that, you need to read up on the dangers. Tests have not yet been done on how long this virus survives outside the body and under what conditions (surface type, temperature, humidity).
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
5 of 436  Fri 28th Feb 2020 1:20pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3750

But isn't it ironic that we only washed our hands at mealtimes, we would touch horses and cows, then eat an apple, or sandwich, never gave it a thought to wash hands. Even worse, we would go muck-spreading, no one washed hands, no one was fussy, we built up our immune system on small doses of animal bacteria I believe during the war there was foot and mouth in Warwickshire, it was ignored, soldiers were traipsing all over the place, it died out. I can't remember one kid in our street ever visiting a hospital, other than Whitley, which we blamed on swimming in the canal. You keep washing your hands and you wash away the immune bacteria from your body, but if you didn't build it as a kid then you're prone to everything, but we do travel a lot more now, so we ask for what we get. (I'll wait for the flack.)
Coronavirus - COVID-19
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 436  Fri 28th Feb 2020 3:13pm  

Afternoon all, Though the fear of this current virus infection, we can only do what we can do. As I have explained, I've been forced to give more attention to my own hygiene, so as to minimise passing infections of any kind onto Pam. We have a cat that we fuss & fondle, a risk point of infection, so personal hygiene is even more of an issue. We are social society, we need each other, so isolation is my last resort. I'm convinced that as well as frequent hand washing, our diet is such a huge factor. Fresh fruit & veg are tops for keeping our immune system up & running. Some foods are rated higher than others for stimulation of our immune systems, but that is possibly marginal. Once the virus is in general circulation, which I believe is likely, it's how our own system handles the infection. A long in the tooth nurse, whose experience I value greatly, told me to increase my fluid intake. We take for granted our UK good services, drinking water, sanitation & so on. The areas of flooding do give me special concern.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 436  Fri 28th Feb 2020 4:39pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:715

Hello Kaga, here comes the flack. Wink When working in a small factory in the 70s we had the pleasure of having a labourer who never spoke to anyone but was always talking to someone. A rabbit maybe? On the morning tea break the canteen would bring round the bacon butties, sausage rolls etc which always went down well. One morning I was a bit late washing my hands and met the labourer in the toilet - he used the break to clean the toilets because no one was usually in there. He was cleaning the toilets but held a bacon butty in his right hand, then he noticed fag ends in the urinal. Changing the bacon butty to his left hand he then scooped up all the fag ends from the urinal channel with his right hand and threw them down the toilet. Flicking his fingers to get rid of the water (urine) he then transferred the bacon butty back to his right hand and carried on eating it. Although it turned me up, that labourer never had a day off and never suffered bad health, not even a cold. Oh my
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
8 of 436  Sat 29th Feb 2020 12:05pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3750

Scrutiny, Loved your flack, loved your reply, love talking about old Cov and its people.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 436  Sat 29th Feb 2020 3:30pm  

Hi all, I have always been impressed by the total barrier nursing regime that is strictly adhered to at the Arden centre, that's the cancer treatment area at Walsgrave. Is it now time for all clinicians everywhere to adhere to those same high standards? That includes GPs. At least whilst this virus is coming ever closer. Gloucester!
Coronavirus - COVID-19
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
10 of 436  Sun 1st Mar 2020 2:46pm  

Hello, it's me again, Diseases are worrying. We like to be fit & well, so it's understandable that we are worried regards this new virus hitting our land. I've been looking at official records of diseases that have taken hold in our land. 2018 saw a huge spike in flu, causing 35 deaths. I remember a school winter season, 1958/9, a new flu from China, two thirds of our school went down with it. I & my mum & dad never had it. I did have it in the epidemic of 1968/9, but am still here. What I am trying to say is that the only thing new about this virus is the virus itself. We here in the UK have good sanitation, fresh water out of our taps, just as we have enjoyed for the last century. Let's hope that our authorities are robust in their responsibilities, as we try to maintain our personal hygiene standards. I must remember to sanitize my organ & piano keys at church before I leave later today! Love & best wishes to you all.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 436  Sun 1st Mar 2020 4:39pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3557

You are so right as always Philip, an awful lot depends on our personal hygiene but alas I fear there is a great percentage of the general public who maybe lazy and not do the same. Will the next person whoever do the same after you leave. Good health always to you and Pam. Happy
Coronavirus - COVID-19
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
12 of 436  Sun 1st Mar 2020 6:24pm  

Actually Dreamtime, I'm as frightened as anyone on this. So looking at the facts is something of a comfort for me. I wish that I was right, but I get things so wrong sometimes. You keep well. Love your friendship & posts.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
13 of 436  Sun 1st Mar 2020 6:51pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:366

I can well understand your anxiety Philip. Many of us of advanced age are cautious of the developing situation. I personally find it as well to keep away from the media coverage as much as possible. Don't forget that they make a living from sensationalism. It seems to me that with a mortality rate of 2% at present the fears that we are being fed are excessive. Yes we need to take all possible precautions as we would with any outbreak of an infectious disease. and unfortunately a large percentage of the population does need the emphasis on hygeine these days but beyond that when the rest of us have got the message all we can do is keep a track of our local situation with the infection. What is happening in Iran, China or Italy is beyond our control so I personally I don't need to know.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
14 of 436  Mon 2nd Mar 2020 8:01am  

Hi Argon, I was listening to 5live last evening, where an expert in viral diseases was suggesting that the unexplained, non-contact cases maybe because it's more like an iceberg, going under the surface. Folk have it, but no different to an everyday UK slight cough & cold. Lung infections often develop from an untreated cough & cold. Remember, I am no medic. I rely on the expertise of experts & those that I trust. Best wishes ps. I did wipe the piano & organ keys, from yesterday.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
15 of 436  Mon 2nd Mar 2020 8:49am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3557

Ah, the key word 'MEDIA'. Just this morning I heard off the news that this blessed virus is not near pandemic yet. The words from Philip are very wise and we must just look after our own and not be concerned with what the various media give out to us, after all whenever do they all jump to the same conclusions? They thrive on sensationalism. You are no medic Philip but personally I do find it reassuring what you have to say. That's all from me on the subject so I am off to blow my nose - this hay fever is a curse.
Coronavirus - COVID-19

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 436 posts

Page 1 of 30

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 26 27 28 29 30
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Astronomy & Outer Space
|

Next (newer) topic

Bombing aftermath