1 2
Next pageNo action
17 posts:
Order:    

GVB

All posts by this member
1 of 17  Tue 28th Feb 2012 4:45pm  
Total posts:109

Did anyone work for the City Council in the sixties? I started in 1963 at the age of 17 as a trainee gardener and finished in 2006. I was working for Parks and Cemeteries in 1963 and Building Services in 2006 so I had been around a bit by then. I could fill page after page with the things I've done and the people I've met and worked with over the years. Perhaps you were one of those people?
Coventry City Council workers
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
2 of 17  Tue 28th Feb 2012 5:13pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:853

Yes I worked for the council in about 1958, the depot was right down the Foleshill Road opposite the canal basin, we worked on road maintenance and on payday they would bring the wages round in a taxi, and I recall we had a proper steam roller, the driver put a piece of slate over the smoke stack at night to keep the fire in to save him lighting it the following day.
Milly rules

GVB

All posts by this member
3 of 17  Thu 1st Mar 2012 12:14am  

That was a tiny bit before my time. I believe that was when that depot was described as the City Engineers Depot. Known as 99 Foleshill Rd to everyone else.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
4 of 17  Thu 1st Mar 2012 1:06am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:877

My first job was working for Coventry City Council. I had applied for a summer job and was taken on as a temporary clerk at a City Engineers Highways Depot to cover for the regular clerk. He had been sacked for selling off council property to the public. I was 17 with no clerical experience but still managed to sort out the chaos left behind in my 4 months there. I also remember the wages being brought by taxi. In 1971 I was getting £10 a week. After the 4 months I was moved to Broadgate House to work with an old chap about to retire. I learned to do inventories, travelling all over the city to the department's many locations. This was also my first time working in an office with women, quite a novelty as I'd been at a boys' school! But after 4 months the old chap retired and I moved again. I was still a temp but they didn't want to lose me. So I was put in the Foleshill Road Depot in the Deployment Centre, allocating vehicles and crews to the refuse rounds. It was mind-numbingly boring work and I hated it. So I started applying for other jobs. The boss called me in one day and told me I was about to be made permanent on £1100 a year and he thought I would be delighted. That's when I told him I'd just been offered a job at Weights & Measures in Livingstone Road on £1300 a year, and handed in my resignation. I was only on a week's notice, being a temp, and he was none too pleased. I absolutely loved Weights & Measures and continued to work for the council until reorganisation in 1974 when we all transferred to the West Midlands County Council.
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
5 of 17  Thu 1st Mar 2012 9:36am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:853

The depot I remember was at Leicester Row right down by the basin.
Milly rules

mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
6 of 17  Thu 1st Mar 2012 10:24am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:597

Hi to all. I started work at the City Engineers Depot as an apprentice painter and decorator in 1963 at the tender age of 15. At the back of the depot was the Apprentice Training School run by a Mr Frisby. We were there for two weeks before being sent out to our respective "gangs" of which the one I went to at Fenside, the foreman was named Stan Mills. He was the only foreman I never got on with. My wage, being paid to the nearest 50p (ten bob), was £2.50 one week £2.00 the next week. Considering i earned £5.00 when i was at school this was a drastic wage cut for working more hours. I thought I knew Coventry well until I started travelling around the different council estates, never knew half of Coventry till then. One little ditty, cannot say too many, was working on some council houses that were at the side of the Harnall Lane bus depot. I had the job of painting the new airing cupboards in the back bedroom. In one house I could not understand why anybody would want all the walls done in gloss paint? Also there was only a bed and mattress, nothing else? Lol, thick or what, when it suddenly dawned on me all the girls (women) were laughing at my red face which got redder when i was offered a "freebie". I had good cups of tea there but nothing else!!! That was one of a few more houses of ill-repute I worked on, you certainly saw life as a painter. Lol Blush Thumbs up
GVB

All posts by this member
7 of 17  Thu 1st Mar 2012 10:59am  

Further to my original post I ought to add that my dad also worked for the council. He was the foreman gardener on the Willenhall estate. We lived in Marlcroft in Willenhall Wood. When I started work on the same estate my dad said "stick with the gardening and you could end up as a foreman like me". However, gardening was not for me and two years later I went to work as a tractor driver/gang mower operative then moved on to a job as a mechanic in the "Fitting Shop" at Shortley Road. My foreman was Colin Chamberlain and his boss was a chap called Cyril Conniff. If Health and Safety had been around as they are today that "shop" would have been closed instantly. Very happy days for me though Happy
sandylane

All posts by this member
8 of 17  Sun 8th Apr 2012 1:29pm  
Total posts:12

There is a similar subject going on within CWK205 the Coventry Transport Forum. It is titled Coventry Corporation and deals with the era before the City Engineers when it was the old Coventry Council when the city dustbin lorries were painted in the city transport livery the same colour basically as the buses of the corporation. With the memoirs of the old Shelvoke and Drewry dustbin lorries.
GVB

All posts by this member
9 of 17  Thu 12th Apr 2012 7:45pm  

Thank you for the heads up sandylane.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 17  Thu 20th Dec 2012 7:36pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4663

There is a model commercially available - here's the link Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
11 of 17  Thu 20th Dec 2012 8:23pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3888

Hi all Wave We have a dustbin lorry doing its round in Bramble Grove.
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
12 of 17  Sat 22nd Dec 2012 1:44pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2259

It does look very smart Philip love the dust cart. I placed some photos of Coventry in the 60s on thread Coventry on the internet and also off you tube might give you some ideas of another project, Smile on the Earlsdon one there is a tram on one of the photos with the lines in the road.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
13 of 17  Sun 23rd Dec 2012 12:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3888

Hi Morgana & thank you, Wave It is not strictly correct for domestic rubbish. The lorry that has been modelled in the picture, was used in the fifties & sixties for commercial pick-ups. The rear bit where the bin-men tipped the dustbins in, came with different designs. I like it though, showing that even our posh districts created rubbish. Wave
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
14 of 17  Sun 23rd Dec 2012 1:03pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2259

Thumbs up Thank you Philip I noticed the colour was the same as the old buses at that time, you can see them on where to find pictures of Coventry on the internet thread, I added a link from you tube it also has Pool Meadow there too. Yes even posh people have rubbish not as good as the working class, when throwing good stuff away though. Smile
oldhippy
lake district
All posts by this member
15 of 17  Sat 14th Dec 2013 4:32pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2013  Total posts:11

On 1st Mar 2012 10:59am, GVB said: Further to my original post I ought to add that my Dad also worked for the council. He was the Foreman gardener on the Willenhall estate. We lived in Marlcroft in Willenhall Wood. When I started work on the same estate my Dad said "stick with the gardening and you could end up as a Foreman like me". However, gardening was not for me and two years later I went to work as a tractor driver/gang mower operative then moved on to a job as a mechanic in the "Fitting Shop" at Shortley Road. My foreman was Colin Chamberlain and his boss was a chap called Cyril Conniff. If Health and Safety had been around as they are today that "shop" would have been closed instantly. Very happy days for me though Happy
My uncle's brother is Colin Chamberlain and my dad is Jim Elks

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Poster Place at Coventry Theatre
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Boy statue
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 193ms)