No actionNo action
4 posts:
Order:    

covgirl
wiltshire
All posts by this member
1 of 4  Fri 9th Oct 2020 7:08pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2015  Total posts:64

On 7th Oct 2020 4:23pm, Kaga simpson said: It's been around forever, and the Domesday Book is in libraries for the last fifty years. But cleverly written, the best I have seen also. King Offa, Welsh Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia, fond of ditches for they were also famous as a moat in those days. But the earthwork (bank) is 80 miles long with the ditch on the western side, Britain’s longest archaeological monument. The Dyke Path runs for 177 miles. I was about to walk it in 2001 but was refused permission, because of Foot and Mouth, by J Saunders, Path Controller. Not far from Chippenham, there's a long grassy bank. At one end it tapers down into the farmer’s field, the other end a passage that is a 6000 year old tomb, man-made - it's older than the Pyramids. Rituals and sacrifices made by residents over 200 generations ago.
Hi Kaga I live in Chippenham, and am interested in where this bank, passage and tomb are, We are very fortunate to be close to some of the oldest, most interesting . sites in Britain, but the only tombs near here that I know of are Lugbury which is really just a shape at the side of a field alongside the Fosse Way, and the numerous barrows and tombs around Avebury, have I missed one??
Ancient stuff (non-Coventry)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
2 of 4  Sat 10th Oct 2020 10:54am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3752

Hi covgirl It's known as the West Kennet Long Barrow. It's off the A4, it's easy to miss the sign, a few hundred yards along a footpath, grassy bank, inside you're in the belly of something special. The tomb's position and shape is part of the story. Take a torch. Hope this helps. Edited by Midland Red, 10th Oct 2020 10:58 am (Wikipedia link added)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
3 of 4  Sun 11th Oct 2020 1:36pm  

covgirl There are other remarkable sites in our landscapes. Near to you there is the seven mile Devil’s Ditch, from Reach, Newmarket, to Woodditton. The dyke may have been constructed in the fifth or sixth century. Here one could see the racehorses at exercise, this probably followed the old Roman road - nearby a disused railway and fenland lodes (artificial waterways) and many ancient man-made lines in the landscape. Many times I left the racecourse early to walk part of this lovely ancient walk. And not too far away The Norfolk Broads, more ancient man-made waterways.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 4  Mon 12th Oct 2020 1:46pm  

covgirl. There was a road milestone outside Cambridge, pre-dates turnpikes, in Roman numerals. This beautiful landscape of ours has a wealth of ancient signs, to help us. An Act of Parliament in 1555, when parishes were made responsible for the upkeep of tracks, so they made some prominent signs, so they did not do the work of another parish. From the 1600s counties rather than parishes were made responsible for bridges and 300 yards either side of the centre of the bridge, this was often marked by a stone. Benchmarks were made on buildings for sea levels, dykes were old Norse for ditch, and earthworks named cursuses. At Devils Dyke, inland from Brighton, from the top of the dyke on a clear day some say you can see seven counties, but yes or no it's a fantastic view as far as the eye can see.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Working Men's, Sports and Social clubs
|

Next (newer) topic

Smithford Street (inc. Ram Bridge)
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category