No actionNo action
23 posts:
Order:    

Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
16 of 23  Sat 17th Sep 2016 10:28am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:338

"Upon this site stood the Western part of a large and very Ancient Edifice called THE PILGRIMS REST. It was supposed to have been the Hostel or Inn for The Maintenance and Entertainment of the Palmers And other Visitors to the Priory of Benedictine Monks which stood near to the Eastward. It became ruinous and was taken down AD MDCCCXX when this house was erected" MDCCCXX = 1820 Edited by member, 17th Sep 2016 10:32 am
Local History and Heritage - Palmer Lane
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
17 of 23  Sat 17th Sep 2016 10:51am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4908

Thank you, Osmiroid Cheers
Gumnut
Moruya NSW Australia
All posts by this member
18 of 23  Sun 18th Sep 2016 6:42am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:25

Thank you for your info. I do find it sad that the folk of that era could put importance on the past for remembrance, but given the opportunity to repeat this during times of redevelopment it's very obvious that it didn't count for much at all.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
19 of 23  Mon 19th Sep 2016 10:55am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1764

Osmiroid I love your site. You have some terrific images I've never seen before. I check regularly and enthusiastically for updates - keep up the great work Thumbs up
Learoy76
Coventry
All posts by this member
20 of 23  Tue 23rd Jan 2018 12:42am  
Member: Joined Jan 2018  Total posts:2

Hi all, There is a 200 year old water colour painting by William Brooke which is titled "Ram Bridge, High Street", which seems to be labelled incorrectly, as High Street is on a hill and has no rivers or bridges. I am aware that there was a ram bridge on Smithford Street, however, from old maps and images it appears that the structural/landscape layout is different. It also seems to me that this scene still exists today. I believe Brookes was in Palmer Lane facing the back of the Burges, with the building on the right being what I've always known as Button's cafe. I would love to hear what other members think. Here is a link for the painting.

Question

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
21 of 23  Tue 23rd Jan 2018 9:02am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:982

Hi, You're absolutely right about it not being the High Street. Brooke painted a series of lovely paintings all along the east-west roads from Fleet Street to Jordan Well and called them all the High Street. Though it is the Ram Bridge looking north towards West Orchard. It only fits the 1750 map which shows a second bridge with buildings on it between the Fleet/Smithford Street and West Orchard bridges. He also painted it from the other side. See post 45 I've wondered whether the bridge was an earlier route to the priory before the Ram Bridge and the West Orchard bridges were built. I'm assuming that Smithford was originally a ford by a smithy. Alternatively was it part of a mill? It would be odd if it was a dedicated bridge for a house. The area wasn't that short of space when it was probably built. It wasn't until later that the Ram Bridge and West Orchard bridges were built upon. The mislabelling of images has given me months of extra work. Roll eyes
Learoy76
Coventry
All posts by this member
22 of 23  Tue 23rd Jan 2018 10:07pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2018  Total posts:2

Hi Helen, thank you for your informative reply and for putting me right. Thumbs up It just seemed so familiar to me when I first looked at the painting and comparing images I found online, I could see a lot of similarities. I tried to take a photograph of Palmer Lane the other day when I was in town, to compare with Brookes, but unfortunately, the site was too overgrown with foliage. Makes me wonder if the ram bridge and surrounding buildings had survived, they too would be so sadly neglected.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
23 of 23  Tue 23rd Jan 2018 10:59pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:982

What most people (and I was one of them) don't realise is how many old buildings survived the centuries since they were built until relatively recently. William Henry Brooke was painting in the early 1800s and while the place was very run down then, he and several other artists managed to make it look romantic. At the time the city was the most intact medieval city in the country. Had the bulk of buildings survived to the 21st century, I'm sure that the city would have been a massive tourist location and everywhere, including Palmer Lane, would have been spruced up. Weirdly the buildings only seem to have been missed after they were demolished. Palmer Lane bridge did/does look very similar to the Ram Bridge. It's the same river. There are some really great sketches of the area by Dr Troughton and Sidney Bunney and a few photos but compared to the Ram Bridge area, Palmer Lane was very poor. That probably saved it. The more saleable areas were being rapidly rebuilt even before the war.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Running Day & Transport Fair - 1 Jan 2018
|

Next (newer) topic

St Mary's Priory ruins and Hill Top