No actionNo action
14 posts:
Order:    

BrotherJoybert
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 14  Fri 6th Apr 2012 10:14am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:119

Has just opened at the Herbert. I am biased as I have contributed a fair few things to it but it is absolutely superb and a real credit to all the staff at the Herbert who have organised it plus all those who have contributed. A cracking film has been put together which as well as being shown at the exhibition is also available on DVD.
From Highfield Road to Wembley Way Exhibition
LdeMain
Nuneaton, Warks
All posts by this member
2 of 14  Fri 6th Apr 2012 11:37am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:36

Thanks for sharing this, I am going to go and have a look in the week. I think some of the University staff have had a hand in the preparations as we have been reminded about it at work too. I have brilliant memories of that day, we all went to my nan's 'up the Aldermoor'. The 'men' in the family watched it in the lounge and we had to stay in the kitchen and watch it on the telly quietly. When we won, we ran out into the street with a big blue elephant and and sang play up sky blues with the whole street. When they brought the cup back we stood on the Ansty Road with home made banners - it was brilliant! I remember my teacher at Wyken Croft was Mr Norbury (he did post on the guestbook here once), we all had to pick a player in the weeks leading up to the final and write about them, we also practised various football songs and sang them on Mercia one day! Sadly my dad is no longer with us but these memories are some of my most favourite ones of him. Leanne
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 14  Fri 6th Apr 2012 5:37pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1637

I'm going to visit this too. Was going to send some contributions in but never got round to it. It was one of the best days of my life too with my dad who is also sadly not now here with us Sad I grew up with George Curtis' family as they lived near us (my mum is still best friends with his wife). Went to most of the cup rounds prior to the final and was at Wembley in line with the goal at the City end with one of George's daughters. Fantastic day. We travelled on one of the fan coaches. Remember no-one could speak on the journey back as we were all hoarse! Fantastic scenes as we came back home. Then the crush in Broadgate and up the High Street for the cup parade in that open top bus now in the museum. Little did I know but my now wife was serving to the team as a waitress in the Council dinner party. Sky Blue forever!!! Thumbs up Big grin Cheers
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
4 of 14  Fri 6th Apr 2012 9:02pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3888

Hi all Wave I know the least of anyone about football, Coventry or anytry', but I am going to go along.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 14  Fri 20th Apr 2012 8:44pm  

Went along to this this afternoon and throughly enjoyed it. Brought the memories right back. My two lads cannot believe we were ever that good!! Big grin
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
6 of 14  Sat 21st Apr 2012 12:28pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:877

We went on Thursday afternoon and it brought back some great memories of a fantastic day. We travelled to London on the Thursday before the final, a group of us setting off from the Malt Shovel at Bubbenhall after a celebration lunch. The landlord then was Tony Cardellino, a real City fan. The Coventry City London Supporters Club had some events organised before and after the final for when we got there. The whole day was wonderful. We arrived at Wembley around noon to get into the atmosphere and meet up with friends around the stadium. There will almost certainly never be another day like 16th May 1987. The journey home was amazing too, with people on motorway bridges, and lots of banners, miles before reaching Coventry. When we got home, the neighbours had decorated the outside of our house with sky blue banners. The following day in the city centre was another memorable event. It was the greatest day in our history. How sad that in an hour or so I shall be setting off for the Ricoh to witness the lowest point in my 50 years as a City supporter. Sad
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
7 of 14  Sat 21st Apr 2012 3:18pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:367

I totally agree MrD-Di. May 16th 1987 was indeed a never to be forgotten day. I'm afraid April 21st 2012 may also be never forgotten but for all the wrong reasons. Sad Sad Sad
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
8 of 14  Sat 21st Apr 2012 3:30pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:537

16 May 1987 was a wonderful day, we celebrated in style. I had my first taste of Barley Wine Cheers and have never drank any since. Oh my I agree, I think today is going to be a sad, sad day. But let's be positive for next season and hopefully we'll be back. Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 14  Sat 21st Apr 2012 4:43pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3888

Hi all Wave Thank you Tricia, Wave as we all reflect on the two vital scores as today's games come to an end, and we are just down to ten men & down by a goal too. Being positive is essential as I believe that the financial state of English League football may well produce a lot more surprise outcomes than just the league positions at the end of the season as the weeks pass by. Several clubs do not own the shirts on their backs & have very 'iffy' balance sheets. I am sad, because of my feelings for those on our site who are passionate supporters of our cities football club. Sad Our history site teams very best wishes to you all.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 14  Sat 21st Apr 2012 8:30pm  

Sad sad day - especially given that this exhibition is on at the moment. As per the other threads I was at Wembley 25 years ago along with most of the earlier round games. Always recall getting on the supporters coach for the drive back to Coventry. It was totally silent - everyone was exhausted and had lost their voices from the shouting. Rumour now is we'll have to leave the Ricoh - Butts Park anyone? Sky Blue Forever! Big grin Sad
GregNorth
Watford
All posts by this member
11 of 14  Wed 30th May 2012 10:51pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:11

"Neils Yard" is right to say that this was a sad way to celebrate twenty five years since we made football history. Late of Ryton-on-Dunsmore and Cheylesmore in the fifties, my father joined De Havillands in Bournemouth. In 1987, I was serving in the RAF at HMS Warrior, just a few miles from Wembley. Still a keen footballer at 38, I managed to obtain a position as a steward for the great day courtesy of a colleague who had connections with Wasps Rugby Club who supervised the stewarding of events in those days. I was assigned to H57, if I recall and was fortunate that two policeman sent me towards the front of the upper terrace. Keith scored right in front of me, I saw the cross come in from Dave Bennett on the right and the crowd went up in anticipation. They were right too! I didn't see the ball cross the line, but I didn't need to. I have never heard a noise like it before or since. From then on in, we could have had five. George and John had great empathy with the city public, had a strong work ethic themselves and carried on what Jimmy had started. Jimmy never forgot the importance of the fans, a man who has, in my view, done more for the game of football than anyone else in this country. How was he not knighted? City were pioneers in so many ways in those days - programmes, entertainment before the game and during half time, the city train. One could go on and on! They epitomised a city of pioneers and it is easy to forget the industries that took shape in this most innovative of cities. Long may Godiva rule! The team that day did the city management and staff proud, not to mention the fans and the people of Coventry. I walked down to the tube with a man and his daughter who wore a sky blue cowboy type hat. I can see her now and she is clearly visible in the stands where Keith scored when you look back at the videos. My Dad and his lifelong friend from his school days, Jack Bloxham - both ex British Aerospace at Hurn - watched the match at home. Jack was also from Ryton-on-Dunsmore and his family name can be seen on the war memorial by the London Road. They are no longer with us but I am pleased that they lived long enough to experience that day. My dad was a very good footballer who played for Ryton-on-Dunsmore and Jack was an exceptional footballer who once told me that it helped him get jobs at other factories in the city! How could it all go so wrong, leaving Highfield Road was certainly a factor. We rarely lost more than a few games there each season. I only hope that the young fans of today will experience what those of my generation have sometime in the future. The rise through the sixties was so exciting and the final in 87, was the icing on the cake of a very long journey. Football and the city have given me so much pleasure in life. Not a day goes by without me thinking of something that happened on that hot and sunny day. I still have my flag and all the papers that I could buy. My son went to Coventry University and still lives in the city, many years later. The Herbert has always been a great museum and I hope to visit soon. Like the Transport Museum, it has the city in its heart. Long may they both prosper to document the history of our great city. The city face a long and difficult road methinks. Lets hope everyone gets behind them. They are all we have. The Butts was also a small area of Ryton alongside the London road long after the war. Whereever we play, does the Ricoh have a future itself without us? The mind boggles. Greg North
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 14  Thu 31st May 2012 9:55am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1546

Thank you for your great post Greg, and welcome to our forum Thumbs up There are many troubled times ahead - I just hope and pray we, as a club and a city, can overcome them.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 14  Thu 31st May 2012 1:22pm  

Agreed guys - though if there's one thing that brightened my hope for the future of the club it was taking my youngest to his first match against Brum this season. He's only 5 but footie mad and the joy on his face when we scored brought back memories for me at my first match at Highfield Road in the mid 70's. He loves the Sky Blues now - it's well and truly instilled for life!
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
14 of 14  Thu 21st Jun 2012 4:17am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2918

Great to see and great to remember. Tony. (Dreamtime's better half) Cheers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Charterhouse Fields iron bridge
|

Next (newer) topic

John Jamieson
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 202ms)