No actionNo action
48 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
46 of 48  Tue 5th Nov 2019 2:57pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2305

Yes Prof I can see that on a 1937 map by Palace Yard opposite St Mary St but who owned the land where the Tech College Sports grounds were and the pavilion? Looking at images of that by the bridge it was a large building. Edited by member, 5th Nov 2019 2:57 pm
Butts Stadium and Godiva Harriers
Harrier
Coventry
All posts by this member
47 of 48  Tue 5th Nov 2019 4:06pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:186

The 'sports' pavilion pre-dates WWI as it was used for changing rooms for cross country races and receptions for the various regiments which were billeted in Coventry before being sent to the front. Presumably it was built by the council when the Coventry Cricket Club Company [sometimes referred to as the Coventry Cricket Ground Company] folded in the mid 1880s and the facilities were bought by the council and leased to the Rover Cycle Company on a long lease - the CCCC may also have leased the land if it was in Council ownership already. The company (the CCCC) had built the cycle track in response to the Midland Cycle and Athletic Company which had operated the first cinder banked cycle track in Earlsdon in late 1878 and made a good few bob staging cycle meetings [with a very occasional running race on the grass inside the cinder path]. When the lease ran out about 1932, the Council took charge again and improved the facilities which the Rover had let deteriorate. I have some photos of the council laying the first tarmac surface at this time. The large stand on the home straight was multi purpose eventually replacing the stand on the left in a recent NeilsYard photograph of the start of a cycle race, the 'home' straight for the cyclists was also switched at the same time. A representative rugby match was the first event staged at the newly opened facility in 1880, the stand was built soon afterwards along with the slightly banked cinder cycle path. The Butts opened in April 1881. The stand also provided shelter for the cricket officials (scorers etc) [it was by the Cricket Company in charge]. In those days the stand had windows (seen in the aerial shot at the back of the stand) which overlooked the cricket square which was relocated nearer the rail line (as in the photo) when the Technical College was proposed, releasing a chunk of land for building. I featured the pavilion in 2012 (27th Nov post 21/25 when British Restaurants => Civic Restaurants post 1946 were discussed). Godiva Harriers used the building in the interwar years for changing / refreshments when sports meetings were held on the grass track. Post WWII, the club used the facilities for the Annual Club Dinner and Prize Presentation, so presumably the cooking kitchen was functioning efficiently to cater for over a hundred guests. Documents suggest we hired it from the Council at the time of WWI. As a substantial building its use must have been for other uses than just cricket? Much confusion surrounds the dates of the 'Butts' opening, local historians quoting different months and years, the confusion arising because of determining what each historian refers to as the Butts. The first rugby ground? the stand? the cycle track? the running track? the whole green area fronting Albany Road, with the Bullfield and the Earlsdon track thrown into the melting pot for good measure.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 48  Wed 6th Nov 2019 9:14am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2305

Brilliant information, Harrier - thanks. That Sports pavilion amazes me as it was so big! Wonder why it never lasted as it looked a wonderful building to leave neglected - maybe its size was the reason why. If OK I'll pass that information on to the True Coventrian FB page as a friend asked me about it - I will credit you of course. Think I mentioned before, I remember what remained of the stand on the cycling home straight from the early 80's as my brother-in-law at the time raced there frequently. It was mainly wooden in construction - would probably not meet any modern safety requirements as I recall looking through the wooden slatted steps underneath and there was always a collection of rubbish and fag-ends piled up! I have added this before to the Coventry Music / 2-Tone threads but there is a great site recording the Coventry Music scene, called thisisthen hosted by Mark Osborne (so credit to him). His section in there from The Specials shows a selection of images from the Rock against Racism gig at The Butts in June 1981. I rode in to it unchallenged for 10 minutes before I got bored as my grandparents lived in Newcombe Road. Anyway thought you might like this one Harrier if not seen already - Edited by member, 6th Nov 2019 9:21 am

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 48 of 48 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

UK City of Culture 2021
|

Next (newer) topic

Old Coventry adverts