No actionNo action
65 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
61 of 65  Tue 15th Aug 2017 8:22am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1733

Sorry Rob - missed your last post for some reason. That's brilliant - thanks yet again matey Thumbs up
Maps of Coventry
Rob Orland
62 of 65  Tue 15th Aug 2017 9:17am  
Off-topic / chat  

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
63 of 65  Fri 27th Oct 2017 9:26am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:470

For a while now the National Library of Scotland has been in the process of uploading a huge database of old Ordnance Survey maps of England, Scotland and Wales from Victorian times to the 1960's in all scales up to 25" to the mile, showing a wealth of detail. The service is free although the site is not the most intuitive to use but the quality of the maps is superb. National Library of Scotland OS Maps
Maps of Coventry
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
64 of 65  Thu 14th Dec 2017 12:05pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:970

In praise of the Board of Health Maps (approx. 1850). There has been a lot of work done trying to understand Coventry's medieval or pre factory details and surprising few experts have used the Board of Health Maps to their full potential. Not only are those maps a work of art, they contain invaluable details. Yard names often indicate who owned them or the business that fronted them. The plots of each house are remarkably accurate even showing where doorways were (marked by a dot and the height above datum level). Sheds, garden features, steps and even some cellar chutes are marked. The detail is incredible. Due to some of the smallest features, I've been able to locate almost all of the obscure images of Coventry I've got hold of. Without those maps, many of the pictures of yards and the rears of properties would have been impossible to place. An overview of the Board of Health map in Rob's records So if you're trying to research any place before 1888, seriously consider popping into the History Centre and get a photo copy of the appropriate map. It will save you a lot of time. It might even persuade the Herbert to create a decent set of copies.
Maps of Coventry
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
65 of 65  Mon 7th May 2018 10:12am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:970

1840 map of Coventry Not very detailed but not a map I'd seen before
Maps of Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 65 of 65 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

High Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Lower Ford Street
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 30th April 2018  (Load time: 107ms)