Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4604

Here is his record, Kaga Thumbs up
Boxing and boxers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
62 of 66  Sat 7th Oct 2017 5:45pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1864

Midland Red, thank you, three Coventry boxers fought him - amazing.
Boxing and boxers
dave owens
california usa
All posts by this member
63 of 66  Sat 25th Nov 2017 2:51am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:34

On 14th Dec 2015 7:16pm, MisterD-Di said:
On 14th Dec 2015 6:39pm, Bags said: I remember in the 1970s there used to be a boxer ho was in the Evening Telegraph a lot. I think he was called Danny McAlinden. Could be wrong there. Just wonder what connection he had to Cov as he hasn't been mentioned here?
Ah, yes. Danny McAlinden, British heavyweight champion in the bad old days of our 'horizontal heavyweights'. It was said that his sponsors put their names on the soles of his boots. The spoof quiz question back in the day was "What was his last fight?" The answer being that he got a narrow points decision in the Mr George nightclub against Mrs McAlinden. Having seen professional boxing live, I have always said that anyone who gets into a ring for money is worthy of respect. But McAlinden is hardly one of the legends of British boxing.
In the mid 70s we drove down to the Albert Hall to watch Danny McAlinden on a Joe Bugner fight card. Also on that card was John H Stracey and I think John Conteh. I think it was that night he won the British title. My memories are a little hazy these days but I remember it was very entertaining night of boxing. McAlinden had this huge haymaker swing, it was like watching a drunk swinging at everything. Also on a very sad note I worked for a time at the Homefire plant at Keresley Colliery in the late 60s. One of labourers on our crew was Mick Leahy, a real nice man, but the punishment he had taken from boxing had left him in bad shape. He was an excellent fighter in his time, but he paid a huge price for his moment of fame.
Boxing and boxers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
64 of 66  Sat 25th Nov 2017 11:28am  

My son is just about to step into the ring to 'ref' a fight between a Welshman and a Chinese, light middleweights - whoever he announces the winner will be in the top six of world class boxers.
Boxing and boxers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
65 of 66  Wed 29th Nov 2017 12:04pm  

I'm sorry to hear Micky Leahy (he won the British title) wasn't so good near the end, spent many a happy time with Micky (he was quite funny at times), as I did with Les Allen and Jimmy Lynas. The golden age for Coventry boxing was in the fifties when Coventry had three good middleweights, and I was privileged to be friends with all three.
Boxing and boxers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
66 of 66  Wed 29th Nov 2017 4:45pm  

Dave Owens. But they were nowhere near the league of three London boys in the late 80's beginning 90's, Benn, Watson and Eubank. Seems strange that the three boys, all worthy world champions, grew up at the same time, and had to meet each other. The best British boxing middleweights I ever saw, and they hit the headlines right at the time TV started to show fights. Later I met and watched hours of sparring and fights of the Eubank brothers and met that wonderful man Ronnie Davies (trainer/manager).
Boxing and boxers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 66 of 66 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Sorry state
|

Next (newer) topic

Archaeology around Coventry
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 58ms)