Next pageLast page
66 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1 of 66  Sun 6th May 2012 6:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4604

Whilst out with the camera this morning I came across this mural which reminded me that the names of Bobby Arthur and Mick Leahy needed to be added to our list of "Famous Coventrians" Thumbs up
Boxing and boxers
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 66  Sun 6th May 2012 9:34pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1575

And Errol Christie!
Boxing and boxers
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 66  Mon 7th May 2012 9:35am  

On 6th May 2012 9:34pm, NeilsYard said: And Errol Christie!
Added!
Boxing and boxers
Greenman
Cumbria
All posts by this member
4 of 66  Mon 7th May 2012 1:18pm  
Member: Joined May 2010  Total posts:53

What about Les Allen? Or was he a Bedworth kid?
Boxing and boxers
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
5 of 66  Mon 7th May 2012 1:33pm  

On 7th May 2012 1:18pm, Greenman said: What about Les Allen? Or was he a Bedworth kid?
Impressive, but yes, a Bed'uth kid Thumbs up
Boxing and boxers
Pete H
Sheffield
All posts by this member
6 of 66  Fri 19th Jun 2015 11:14pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2015  Total posts:3

When I was an apprentice at Wickman there was a Bobby Arthur and I'm sure he was an ex-boxer. Love to know if he was "The" Bobby Arthur
phcbr6

Boxing and boxers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
7 of 66  Sat 20th Jun 2015 5:31pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1864

Midland Red, can you check Les Allen's birthplace, he went to Foxford School, and I believe he was born in Grange Road or Blackhorse Road, and Les was by far the best boxer I knew to come from Coventry. In the top three middleweights in the country. He only trained at Bedworth as a schoolboy. My son was born in Foleshill, and was a professional boxer, appearing at Wembley on the Bruno-McGuigan card, where he got beaten by the Irish champion. He held the British welter-weight kick-boxing title back in the eighties, before turning to pro boxing. Reverting back to kick-boxing he took three state titles in Australia, then came over here to take the English title again, and now is a well known referee at both sports in Australia.
Boxing and boxers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
8 of 66  Sat 20th Jun 2015 6:08pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2262

Kaga a photo for you of Les fighting. I could get my daughter who knows his grandson to ask where he was born but I don't know how long before she sees him again to ask. I would say more Grange Rd than Blackhorse Rd but I am guessing on that. Les Allen Twisted Edited by member, 20th Jun 2015 6:15 pm
Boxing and boxers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
9 of 66  Sat 20th Jun 2015 6:14pm  

My apologies, of course Bobby Arthur was a great fighter, but I've always been swayed by the middleweights, and I suppose biased because Les was my friend and training partner when we were kids.
Boxing and boxers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
10 of 66  Sat 20th Jun 2015 6:23pm  

Nope Kaga my guess was wrong it was Blackhorse Rd it tells you here Edited by member, 20th Jun 2015 6:24 pm
Boxing and boxers
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
11 of 66  Sat 20th Jun 2015 9:55pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:185

I was privileged to meet Les Allen on a couple of occasions through mutual friends. I was told a tale which everyone assured me was true, it concerns the time when Les kept the off-licence in Bedworth Road, Longford at the corner of Sydnall Road. Some young thug looks into the shop and sees an older gentleman wearing glasses behind the counter. He goes into the off-licence and threatens said old chap with a knife and tells him to hand over the money out of the till. The next thing the young thug remembers is waking up in the hospital where a nice friendly policeman advised him to do a bit of research into famous boxers before he threatened any more harmless looking old chaps - particularly when you are standing within range of a pair of such famous fists. Another good boxer from Coventry was Peter Boddington. He was a good heavyweight during the 1970's I think. He had a builders yard, or similar business, in Radford Road opposite to the Savoy.
Boxing and boxers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
12 of 66  Sun 21st Jun 2015 3:36pm  

Thank you Morgana, The first write up I have seen about his death, he really was a nice kid at school, and never took advantage of his fists, but he always suffered from his eyes. I remember we used to cycle from his house along Blackhorse Road to Bedworth and back, sometimes I would then cycle round to the 'Stop' and along the towpath back to Tusses Bridge, couple of years later the yanks moved in to Blackhorse Rd not far from his house. In the past I have had a few interesting chats with Terry Downes about Les. But with age, sometimes you begin to doubt your memory.
Boxing and boxers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
13 of 66  Mon 22nd Jun 2015 8:08pm  

You're welcome Kaga, yes I thought it was a lovely write up on Les. There must be some thing in your memory to be true, it's just as we get older we think differently to when we were recalling in our youth if you understand what I mean.
Boxing and boxers
arthur p
burbage leic
All posts by this member
14 of 66  Mon 22nd Jun 2015 8:21pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:48

Does anyone remember the Coventry boxer Charlie Squires, a flyweight. I used to see him when he'd packed up and worked at Morris Engines in the early sixties. I last saw Les Allen in the early fifties when he was training in an upstairs gym in The Swanswell Inn, a mate of mine trained up there. Les was training under Les Dobbins, Peter Heath was training there as well. Les Dobbins showed us a photo of a boxer who was in the army in Korea. The photo was of Jimmy Lynas who I met in later years as I lived opposite his elder bother Dave.
Boxing and boxers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
15 of 66  Thu 16th Jul 2015 8:01pm  

MARK SIMPSON Born 16.4.62. Elmsdale Avenue, Coventry Pro-Boxer-kickboxer-Referee.
Boxing and boxers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 66 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Sorry state
|

Next (newer) topic

Archaeology around Coventry
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 49ms)