No actionNo action
34 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
31 of 34  Sun 29th Jul 2012 6:20pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3887

Hi Tom, Hi all, Wave I had no idea about the Sewell of Sewall Highway, but the first record is of Sewall Ave, that started from the Ansty Rd, & went as far as the present round-about at Wyken Grange Rd. That was after 1929. It is shown on Rob's scanned maps on here, 1936. Wave
Black Pad and Tin Lizzy
TomRymer
Binley Woods
All posts by this member
32 of 34  Mon 30th Jul 2012 9:42am  
Member: Joined Jul 2012  Total posts:11

Hi Phil As a youngster had a mild argument with my cousin when he saw my spelling (Sewall) of the road where we both lived. He insisted thpon the 'e' version as he said the road was named after Anna Sewell the writer of Black Beauty. I stuck to my spelling but had to admit that at least one of the road signs used 'e'. I think it may have been the one nearest Ansty Road. To get to the section of Sewall Highway that ended at Bell Green Road one would have to take a left into Dennis Road and drive through Stoke Heath estate, right onto Blackberry Lane then left back onto Sewall. The allotments covered the area now occupied by Thorney Road etc. and across Sewall. In my just-published biography of my childhood the allotments and The Dump (always given upper case initials in grateful memory) get mentioned quite extensively!
Black Pad and Tin Lizzy
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
33 of 34  Mon 30th Jul 2012 10:29am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3887

Hi Tom, Wave I well remember the allotments that divided Sewall Highway in half. I grew up at 285, from 1947 to 1968. My friend Stuart still lives just a few doors down. A couple of years ago, I called in on him one day & asked if he was coming out to play. He did & we went down the Devon. Cheers
Black Pad and Tin Lizzy
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
34 of 34  Mon 30th Jul 2012 9:08pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:341

On 30th Jul 2012 10:29am, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi Tom, Wave I well remember the allotments that divided Sewall Highway in half. I grew up at 285, from 1947 to 1968. My friend Stuart still lives just a few doors down. A couple of years ago, I called in on him one day & asked if he was coming out to play. He did & we went down the Devon. Cheers
Via Platform 1 and the Devon Bell was it Philip ? Thumbs up Just linking this with a famous train. Ha Ha.
Always looking forward to looking at the past.

Black Pad and Tin Lizzy

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 34 of 34 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Model
|

Next (newer) topic

Olympics in Coventry
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 207ms)