Next pageNo action
132 posts:
Order:    

Gumnut
Moruya NSW Australia
All posts by this member
106 of 132  Mon 27th Mar 2017 7:33am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:25

Thank you Dreamtime. Belonging there will always be the case, no matter where in the world you are. I really need to clarify the term I used in the previous post. I wrote that I feel that a lot of the city centre identity to the residents of Coventry has been lost, I never wrote "all". It's a place that struggles to be a shopping district now that large D.F.O's are available, it isn't a place of residence, and because of past failures is not a draw card for visitors. I don't have answers to give, there are larger minds than mine to figure that out, I'm just expressing my thoughts.
Hales Street
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
107 of 132  Mon 27th Mar 2017 2:03pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:384

On 26th Mar 2017 11:40pm, Gumnut said: I shall reiterate the point that I am trying to make. I very much believe that the ''City Centre" has lost its identity and has become a mishmash of competing styles and designs....
I have no desire to argue with anyone, but debate is healthy. But the point I will make it - what IS Coventry's identity? Is it as a medieval powerhouse? Is it as a major pre-industrial revolution cottage industry? Is it a pre-war industrial manufacturing boom town? Is it a post-war civic experiment? Is it a millennial university city? The truth is it is ALL of those things, and that is why we have this clash of styles. It shows a constantly evolving city and the rich diversity of it rather than a place that saw one growth spurt and then just slowly stagnated and died. Architecturally out of date - well arguably then the medieval stuff is the most out of date. That is not to say mistakes haven't been made, and some things have been imposed that should've maybe been thought through better, but again that is with hindsight. But this is not restricted to the modern or post-war era - things were imposed and plonked down even in medieval times against people's wishes or without due consideration of the consequences. But as I say over time it has either been removed or just become part of the fabric of the city centre and thus accepted. It's now 'quirky' or 'unique' when in reality it's more likely 'poor design'. If you could return in 100 years time you'd find people making exactly the same arguments about things you think don't fit because to the people in question they're just part of the city centre. If you look at the post war plans so much of it was never done that if it had you could argue that everything would be more coherent and we wouldn't have a clash of styles etc because it would've almost all been replaced. The argument is the same as you make, the only difference being what people consider is or should be the 'identity' of the city. For me, the city centre is constantly changing and long may it continue because that is what will ultimately keep this city alive.
Hales Street
Gumnut
Moruya NSW Australia
All posts by this member
108 of 132  Tue 28th Mar 2017 3:45am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:25

I have no desire to argue with anyone! In itself it indicates that you are. It's just an opinion. Right or wrong in others eyes it's not an attack on your thoughts or opinions. I have not disagreed with a personal comment at all, I have only expressed my own. Debate is a good thing, there is room for improvement regarding that point. Edited by member, 28th Mar 2017 6:31 am
Hales Street
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
109 of 132  Sun 2nd Jul 2017 8:53pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:275

Any info on the numbering of Hales Street? I'm looking for the original number 6, at the begining of the 20th century. The red fronted shop is now number 6 as far as I know. I've seen the later Opera House mentioned as number 4, with the size of it I wonder if it was 2 & 4 or was the school number 2?
On 12th Mar 2017 11:58am, Midland Red said:
On 29th Apr 2016 4:06pm, dutchman said:
On 29th Apr 2016 3:02pm, covgirl said: Didn't there used to be a theatre/cinema between the school and the Apollo?
Yes, the Opera House has been mentioned many times in the forum Smile
Here's its replacement Oh my
Edited by member, 2nd Jul 2017 10:45 pm
Hales Street
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
110 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 7:22am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:360

Does this help?
Hales Street
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
111 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 7:27am  

Hales Street
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
112 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 8:56am  

That's great, thanks Smile Narrowing it down, do you have the listing for 1906?
Hales Street
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
113 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 8:57am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:312

It doesn't help when Mr Spennell can't tell his left from his right!
Hales Street
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
114 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 10:00am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4383

. . . or tell his Smithfield from his Smithford Roll eyes
Hales Street
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
115 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 6:01pm  

Hi. Sorry I don't have a listing for 1906. But I did some research from the census listings and number 6 is nowhere to be seen. Anyway, I give up, what with the left and rights being mixed up on the Spennell's, then the number 6 being on the left today. If you go to the old-maps site you can see that there is a vacant lot where number 6 should be. Assuming it would have been on the right walking into Hales Street from Burges. . . . . Hang on, I'll post the image.
Hales Street
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
116 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 6:03pm  

Can you see the vacant slot that looks like an inverted anvil?
Hales Street
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
117 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 7:18pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:462

Spennell. On her "Tod" (No.19). Mrs. Tod. (Sorry, small things amuse) but I thought it was worth the ink! Cheers
Hales Street
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
118 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 7:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4383

She wasn't actually (Spennells only recorded one name per address) She was Miss Jessie Tod, in the 1911 census a "Pork & Provisions Dealer", age 42, along with her widowed sister Sarah (40) and a niece, a nephew and a housekeeper
Hales Street
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
119 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 7:55pm  

Thanks for trying, I appreciate that. Apart from stating the sides wrong it does seem correct-ish. In my picture above you can see part of Matterson H&W next to the opera house stated as number 6. I have seen the opera house around the web as no.4. But there is other stuff mixed in with MHW so don't know if they had other traders in the shop in a subsection?
Hales Street
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
120 of 132  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 8:33pm  

It's concerning an antique postcard I bought, belonged at one time to Lib Wilson of 6 Hales Street, Aug 1906.
Hales Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 106 to 120 of 132 posts

Page 8 of 9

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Sorry state
|

Next (newer) topic

Our Kaga
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 63ms)