No actionNo action
168 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
166 of 168  Sun 28th Jul 2019 9:43am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1482

Spot on, thanks Heathite. Number 22 it is. I've been trying to locate all the crypt/cellar photos I've got and many of them are of the massive cellar under 21-22. The space is divided into 3 irregular shapes. The ones of the Royal Insurance/Assurance almost complete the space. Thumbs up
High Street
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
167 of 168  Sun 28th Jul 2019 10:14am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2960

I think insurance was for a definite single thing that would happen, assurance was for what might happen, all legal stuff in small print. 1935, no Martins Bank. 1937, bingo! Martins Bank. If we look at Prof’s picture, under the flag the first iron pole standing, between that and the Martins Bank was Pepper Lane, the pole standing but the bollards gone with the bomb. Helen. Most of those buildings in the High Street before 1935 were like the old pictures of Pepper Lane, which survived longer. High Street became the first to become banks, building societies, lawyers etc. Coventry in the thirties was changing from Victorian to more modern in all different ways - music, laws, etc. In fact England was - flying across to USA, radio to USA and Oz. For grown ups it was a very exciting time, and I watched it, but not really understanding as a child. Now I can read or see pictures and be in both, and this forum is a godsend to me for it shows both that I can bring to mind (sometimes!).
High Street
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
168 of 168  Sun 28th Jul 2019 11:35am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1482

You're absolutely right, the High Street was one of the earliest streets to modernise, over and over. The wealth of the banks allowed them to keep up to date with the latest styles/security, whereas most of the city lagged behind. The brick replacements meant that the High Street was better able to withstand the war than some of the older ones. Broadgate and Smithford Street looked similarly prosperous but had quit a lot of fake Georgian buildings with timbered backs.
High Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 166 to 168 of 168 posts

Page 12 of 12

1 2 3 4 5 .. 8 9 10 11 12
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Fleet Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Ravensdale School