No actionNo action
12 posts:
Order:    

Annie
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 12  Sun 3rd Jun 2012 6:18pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:30

Who else remembers Mary Hill, the lady who used to hit people with her bags. If you saw her coming towards you, you had to cross over the road or get a whack from her shopping bag.
Mary Hill
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 12  Sun 3rd Jun 2012 6:49pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3000

I do, vaguely, and I'm told we got on very well together. She always referred to me by the name I only ever used in school which suggests I went to school with her daughter but I don't remember any girl at St Mary's with that surname.
Mary Hill
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
3 of 12  Sun 3rd Jun 2012 7:51pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:854

Yes, she was known as MAD MARY and I believe she lived in one of the terraces in Swanswell Street.
Milly rules

Mary Hill
Radford kid
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 12  Sun 3rd Jun 2012 8:23pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:356

Hello Norm. Yes I remember Mary Hill very well, my mother-in-law knew her quite well, long before she became a bit unhinged (due to the dreaded booze, I think). We knew her as Scots Mary. She was a bit of a character, that's for sure. I was working at the Coventry Police Station, Little Park Street, I had some work to do in the Control Room at the time (I was a telephone engineer). On the way back from lunch I passed the Turks Head pub and, stuck in a traffic jam, I was aware of an argument on the steps of the pub between the landlord and Scots Mary - he threw her out. She was giving him a load of abuse, she asked for her coat so she could go home (lol), anyway he threw her the coat then she reached into the pocket, pulled out a metal comb and attempted to stab the boss. After returning to the Police HQ I settled down to complete my job, then all hell broke loose. "They are bringing in Scots Mary", the shout went out. All staff ran to the windows to see her being removed from the van, kissing and cuddling the female officers (a ritual for the new wpcs), anyway they all treated her with warm affection. Have to say, in her early days she was a real nice lady. All the best. Colin
Colin Walton

Mary Hill
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 12  Mon 4th Jun 2012 1:14pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:621

Did Scots Mary move to Stoke Aldermoor? She was well known by all the council painters, lol, and a few more!!!!! Oh my
Mary Hill
nirvana
coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 12  Tue 5th Jun 2012 5:08am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:115

She moved to Wood End in the 70s.
Mary Hill
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 12  Tue 5th Jun 2012 8:06am  

Thanks Bernie, until the name Scots Mary came up I had totally forgotten about her. There were a few ladies known around Coventry for their UNUSUAL behaviour but for the life of me I cannot remember the names, or areas they lived in, although I know there was another lady who lived in Stoke Aldermoor. Thumbs up
Mary Hill
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
8 of 12  Tue 5th Jun 2012 8:46am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4921

You don't mean Hyacinth Bucket's sister Rose, do you? Big grin
Mary Hill
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 12  Tue 5th Jun 2012 9:16am  

Lol, That was Binley, loved the series at the time. The houses used to belong to the Binley pit. The council bought the lot and I had the pleasure of painting a few of them in 1969. Now the argument will rage that it is Willenhall. Big grin Cheers
Mary Hill
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 12  Tue 5th Jun 2012 12:59pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4921

Beg to differ, but Mitchell Close, where Rose lived with Daisy and Onslow, is in Stoke Aldermoor Oh my
Mary Hill
nirvana
coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 12  Tue 5th Jun 2012 1:37pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:115

Quite right, Midland Red, I remember the old scrap yard at the end of Mitchell Close. I believe it is now a nature reserve and its entrance was in Carter Road. I think Hyacinth's house was filmed in Binley Woods.
Mary Hill
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 12  Tue 5th Jun 2012 6:30pm  

I ADMIT DEFEAT, AAAAARRRGHHHHHH Wink
Mary Hill

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

Page 1 of 1