No actionNo action
4 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1 of 4  Mon 4th Jun 2012 9:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4540

Not many know that there is a railway museum in Coventry - it's now known as The Electric Railway Museum, and they have an open day this coming weekend Best of British at Electric Open Weekend Electric Railway Museum Open Weekend: Technology Weekend Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 June 11 am - 5 pm (both days) FREE 60 years of technological innovation will be celebrated at Electric Railway Museum in June as we host the next in our ever-popular series of Open Weekends. Focusing on the best of UK design since the accession of Queen Elizabeth II, the museum's rich collection of iconic electric locomotives will be joined by demonstrations from local technology groups. Electric Railway Museum's second Open Weekend of 2012 will be open Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 June from 11am - 5pm both days. Admission and parking is FREE! Visitors will be able to enjoy shunting demonstrations throughout the two day event, courtesy of the museum's two operational electric locomotives Heysham No. 1 'Doug Tottman' and Spondon No.1. There will also be a working display of signal heads, recently retired from London Underground's Victoria line. Elsewhere, visitors can experience an extensive array of electric locomotives and multiple units, including the Clacton Class 309s, the Wirral Class 503 and the 2-EPB unit complete with street art livery by Warwickshire-based artist Rumah, which depicts the history of electric railways. Volunteers are also keen to safeguard the rich biodiversity of the museum site near Baginton. As part of the celebrations for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, some 420 trees have now been planted on site - part of the six million the Woodland Trust are aiming to plant for their Jubilee Woods initiative. A very special tree from one of the Queen's estates will be planted during the June Open Weekend. Their website
Coventry's Railway Museum
Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
2 of 4  Tue 5th Jun 2012 1:20pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:215

Blimey looking at their website they've got a lot more than they had last time I was up there, they used to have a signal box and the old Rugby BTH/GEC works 165DE class shunter 'Mazda' up there, nice to know it's still going and may take a wander up there Smile
Triumph - 'The Best Motorcycle in the World'.

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 4  Thu 19th Sep 2013 5:51pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4540

As part of the Heritage Weekend, the museum was again open to visitors with free entry - it was the only location I visited over the weekend, and I was hoping to meet with another forum member, but that unfortunately didn't materialise I did find when downloading the few photos I took on Saturday the progress which they are making in restoring the stock that they have - it isn't that obvious until one compares photos from previous visits, as such progress is quite slow - they obviously have limited funds and rely on an immense amount of voluntary labour - they deserve as much support as possible to ensure that the museum can carry on with their good work Cheers Class 308 Driving Trailer 75881 (EMU 308136) - 10 Sep 2011 Class 307 EMU Driving Brake Trailer E75023 - 10 Sep 2011 Class 405 4-SUB EMU 4732 - 2 May 2009
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 4  Thu 19th Sep 2013 7:24pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1554

Yes we went there on the bus, Red Thumbs up Was impressed with the APT power carriage. I was amazed when I asked about how they got the thing there. Apparently it was so finely engineered and balanced it took just two men to push it along the track once unloaded by one enormous crane.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry voted an ugly city
|

Next (newer) topic

London Road Cemetery mystery photo - Solved
View similar topics in the Public Transport and Travel category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 192ms)