Topic categories:

Our world in miniature, hobbies

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 631 to 645 of 774 posts

Page 43 of 52

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .. 43 . 45 .. 48 49 50 51 52
Next pageLast page
774 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
631 of 774  Fri 14th Oct 2016 6:08pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4164

Hi all, Alternate Fridays are our Ringtons delivery day, which fell today, also my organ engineer had some new software to load & update, which grounded me this morning, so with that in mind I decided this morning to up-detail our black manor. I am for ever buying fine detailing kits, along with general modelling materials. With photos & albums pegged open at manor pages, I set about adding a few bits which for me brings the locomotive alive. Cosmetic additions including crew, a curved footplate, tender footsteps as well as the latest neater couplings to the loco front. The split chassis, a characteristic of Bachmann models for nearly thirty years, has just one serious weakness, lacking a good spring contact for the current, relying on the wheel axles. On new production locos, since about 2000, Bachmann have reverted to using phosphor bronze spring pick-ups. On most of my split chassis locos I have drilled into the axle boxes & inserted miniature coiled springs. Perfect, well at least it was when my eyesight was up to doing it. I must have dropped off to sleep thinking about this last night because when I awoke, I realised that I could place a leaf spring across all three axles, the wheel backs keeping it in place. I am chuffed. I do have a few similar locos in the cabinet, which may well receive the same easy to apply phosphor bronze strip. It involves no soldering, proving the length cut is precise, so as to snug fit between the frame ends. Holding a small fine needle file, placing each cut strip between my thumb & the file, then drawing it along each direction, induces a nice even natural curve. Perfect! The next picture, you might just be able to see the phosphor strip behind the driving wheel sets. Being on top of the axles, it also helps maintain wheel to rail contact. Hardly visible just at the back of & under the running plate, but improves the running enormously, which except for a bit of noise from the brass worm & gears, is as smooth as any of the latest models being marketed now. As with the real railways, I shall run this loco as a "prototype", the Hall Brooks area pilot, allowing me to keep my eye on its performance, also keeping it in constant use. My confidence is such that I have just ordered a pack of phosphor bronze strips of eBay. All that remains is for a coat of weathered rod paint, the next time my paint brush is on the go, for this loco bought in 1982 by my lovely Pam, to have its new lease of life in Hall Brooks.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
632 of 774  Thu 20th Oct 2016 1:25pm  

Hi all Wave "A Tale of two more Manors" ********************************* I have always liked the Manor class locos, ever since travelling behind one on my first trip to Tywyn in Wales. I was five years old in 1952, when I was taken for a fortnight's holiday. It was the early days of the Talyllyn Railway preservation society, probably the first ever railway preservation, but that needs verification. An older cousin had come away with us & I remember my dad explaining technical things about steam & railway operations. I haven't a clue as to what I understood at age five, but more than anything else, that may have started my lifelong interest in railways. I do remember the main-line shed at Tywyn, preferring to watch the goings on there than at the narrow gauge railway. It was the Manor class that caught my eye, with at least three of them on view. They were the heaviest class of loco permitted over the Central Wales line. The two in my picture were bought together during the last of the Bachmann split chassis productions, nylon bearings making them smooth, reliable & quiet runners, compared to my first black Manor. They both even have crew that are factory fitted, a giveaway to the origins of Bachmann, being a USA parent company, who failed to research the fact that UK steam crew do not wear blue overalls.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
633 of 774  Thu 20th Oct 2016 2:13pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3317

Good day Philip, Your latest picture above looks so authentic, as it is meant to be. It is always a pleasure to hear of some little story of your (can I also say our) railway, even little titbits as to the UK steam crew and their overalls. I am sure there are a few of us who would never have known about that. Thank you. Wave
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
634 of 774  Sat 22nd Oct 2016 3:15pm  

Hi all Wave All three of our Manors have been detailed, the phosphor bronze strip can just be seen behind the driving wheels. What on earth a Manor would be doing in Longford is anyone's guess, but I quite like the idea, especially one finished in full express passenger livery.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
635 of 774  Sat 5th Nov 2016 5:18pm  

Hi all Wave Both our railway & the railway room were in need of some TLC, so a start has been made. Already looking a bit better, a couple of new motors have arrived. Happy The Hillman Imp & the Humber Hawk have associations with forum members. The Imp reminds me of when I locked myself out of mine at Bedlam Lane crossing. How embarrassing. In this picture I at least had the driver's window open, so being locked out here is unlikely.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
636 of 774  Sun 6th Nov 2016 7:35am  

Lovely Philip, I hope Pam's Tearooms is proving prosperous. Don't mention being locked out, it's a sore point with the Shepherd family! Blush
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
637 of 774  Sun 6th Nov 2016 7:58am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:858

Thanks Philip. Seeing your Hillman Imp brought back memories of when I borrowed my friend's Imp and before I returned it I pulled into a garage to put some juice in it, guess what? I couldn't find the tank! Had to get someone from the workshop to show me Blush
Milly rules

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
638 of 774  Tue 8th Nov 2016 9:50pm  

Hi all Wave I am continuing the tidy-up theme in our railway room, which has also included the cabinet (a former sideboard, from our newly-weds days) that houses the stock not being used on the railway. I have rediscovered locos that I had forgotten that I had. Just a bit of background. The UK model railway hobby has had its ups & downs. The mid sixties saw a down surge of interest, what was being sold was old technology & folks that wanted scale look-alike railways were kit building. The seventies arrived with the first real breakthrough with fine moulded models, first Palitoy, part of Bachmann & also Airfix, the kit maker who had started producing ready-to-run models. Shops were opening everywhere selling this stuff, as dads & their little boys rushed in to buy. Whenever a newcomer arrives there are usually teething troubles & so it was with Palitoy & Airfix. Hornby had merged with Triang, but was struggling to stay in business. Although the sales were sufficient to keep the manufacturing going, the bubble of the early seventies evaporated which meant that many of the new-comers to the trade were going to the wall. Hence loads of auctions of bankrupted stock. I was for ever going to these auctions, always making sure that I knew my prices. This is where so much of my stock came from until the complete rejuvenation of my hobby at the start of the last bubble, about 1998. I had forgotten that I had this little beauty. I bought four of this class (43XX) at Stratford auction, one lined green & three black. I spent quite a lot of time detailing them, the one in the picture I hand painted in unlined olive green from its original all black condition. All four are superb runners after I added leaf springs & springing the leading bogies side play. My time spent kit building in the past proved very useful when super detailing these ready to run models. The Wills & Kays kits of the fifties & sixties had priced themselves out of existence, being twice or thrice the price of these ready to run models. In real life, these GWR locos the 43XX class were very numerous, working all over their system. As with any successful design it was also the prototype of several subsequent classes. Leaving out the smaller 0-6-0 & shunter classes, there were just two distinct breads of loco on the former GWR. The four cylinder Castles & slightly bigger Kings formed one breed, they being development of the Star class for express passenger, whilst the two cylinder classes that were designed for freight & mixed traffic formed the other breed, which emanated from the Saints. These included the Halls, Granges, Counties & Manors, as well as the 2-8-0 various heavy freight locos. The Halls & the Granges, which were in effect lower geared halls, were restricted from certain routes because of high weight, so the design team decided to modify one of these lighter 43XX locos by adding a two axle pony truck at the front, giving extra stability at higher speed, but keeping the weight to a minimum. They had in effect built the first Manor. Eventually thirty Manors were built, all from rebuilt 43XX class locos. I like having a sense of our railway evolution represented on our railway. GWR 4300 Class
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
639 of 774  Fri 18th Nov 2016 1:53pm  

Hi all Wave My Pam has always loved Panier tank locos, we have a few at Hall Brooks, but now a lightly weathered 64xx has joined the fleet. Pam is beside herself with delight. Wink
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
640 of 774  Sun 7th May 2017 9:00am  

Hi all Wave A couple of new items have arrived in Hall Brooks. Hope you like. A heavy duty forklift has arrived at Longford Park Wharf so as to aid loading. Also, this, lurking at the back of Bramble Lane station yard. ps. A picture of the real loco, the owner Len, a passionate steam enthusiast, who sadly died in 2015, from Wolverhampton. Also a vintage picture of the fork-lift.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
641 of 774  Sun 7th May 2017 12:26pm  

Yes, Mr Stationmaster Philip, where have you been. Thanks for showing us the new addition to Hall Brooks. It will no doubt prove to be a very handy addition. Thumbs up It's all very well going gallivanting off seeking out new Breakfast venues but you must not forget your other duties. Lol Lol
Midland Red
642 of 774  Mon 8th May 2017 11:31am  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
643 of 774  Tue 9th May 2017 7:49pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
644 of 774  Fri 12th May 2017 10:28pm  

Hi all Wave An update with a signal upgrade, to Bramble Lane station starter signal. Now modern two aspect Red & Amber. No bulbs. Just the use of craft sequins, which reflect light. By setting each lens at a slightly different eye angle to each other, they are quite effective. Home made using electricians terminal strip. No green light required, as it is too close to Three Spires Junction, the other end of Mill Hill tunnel. Also, the start of the summer timetable sees the resumption of the steam auto from Grove to Nether Mill & Priors Field. The auto fitted tank loco has returned to Priors Field with a short goods train leaving the auto coach just behind Grove shed, seen in the picture. The resident area pilot loco just peeping out of the shed is a saddle tank A general view of Bramble Lane & Grove with a Black & White Motorways coach in Bramble Lane station yard.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
645 of 774  Sat 13th May 2017 11:54am  

Hi all Wave A couple of pictures from the loco drivers viewing point from their cab. The train has just past Bramble Lane crossing & is heading for Burrow Hill on the main line. The line on the right is the down main siding. This last picture is from Grove platform, where a good train is waiting to leave for Hounds Hill & Nether Mill. The main through line of the previous picture is visible on the right. I had to stand my camera on the level crossing gates to record these pics. Hope you like.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 631 to 645 of 774 posts

Page 43 of 52

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .. 43 . 45 .. 48 49 50 51 52
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry's Cinemas
|

Next (newer) topic

Favourite movies and film memories
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2019

Load time: 162ms