No actionNo action
187 posts:
Order:    

JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
181 of 187  Sun 18th Dec 2016 9:11am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:214

A poem for Christmas............. Every word of this is true (except for the stable - I made that up!) I Almost Found Jesus One Christmas Eve, when just a kid, I delivered the mail to earn a quid. They’d take you on, the GPO, and tell you where you had to go. You never knew just where you’d get as destinations for those letters, But one year, I was glad to see an area quite well-known to me! My route took me through streets I knew: - I was born in Crescent Avenue! Then through the works, along Bourne Road, each letter drop lightened my load. My final stop – the stables at - the Grange – so easy – that was that! So six a.m. I’m there to pack my letters, just like Santa’s sack. Then, Crescent Avenue’s first to go, trudging slowly through the snow. At number one, there’s Aunty Wyn, who beckoned me to come right in: “Coom in, ma duck, you must be froze with all that snow around your toes. Ah know what you need – I have some handy……. Now don’t say no – it’s damned good brandy!” Then number 8 across the road, an effort with my heavy load, But sure enough, there’s Aunty Phyl, leaning out the window sill: “Coom in, ma duck, you must be froze with all that snow around your toes. Ah know what you need – I have some handy……. Now don’t say no – it’s damned good brandy!” The yellow street lights on the snow, the Christmas scene that we all know, I daydreamed, as I walked that day, of Rudolph and that great big sleigh, With Santa tugging on the reins. The brandy coursing through my veins Like antifreeze reduced my stress, at each and every aunt’s address. In Bourne Road there was Aunty Beat, who always kept her house so neat. My postman’s run was half-way through, but she took pity on me too! “Coom in, ma duck, you must be froze with all that snow around your toes. Ah know what you need – I have some handy……. Now don’t say no – it’s damned good brandy!” And then I had Bourne Road to cross, and who should call but Aunty Floss! By now a little worse for wear, I staggered in and grabbed a chair. “Coom in, ma duck, you must be froze with all that snow around your toes. Ah know what you need – I have some handy……. Now don’t say no – it’s damned good brandy!” But as I left, the strangest sight – the sky was split – a blinding light! It came in silence from the west, as if this Christmas Eve was blessed. If I had heard the angels sing, it would have seemed a normal thing! My final stop, at half past four, to knock upon that stable door. I’ve never been religious but with all that brandy in my gut, The snow, the light, the stable too; could it all be coming true? But there, in letters bold and clear, was “Closed for Xmas – back next year!” So, disappointed, home I went, and pondered on this strange event. No Telegraphs in Christmas week, no mention of that skyward streak. Until the news of Barwell’s scare; the meteorite that landed there. No angels and no virgin birth – a lump of rock that fell to earth! But one thing that I got to know - It’s how to keep warm in the snow! The Barwell meteorite has already been linked to in these topics.
True Blue Coventry Kid

Coventry Poetry
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
182 of 187  Sun 18th Dec 2016 5:21pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2898

Now I know why I enjoy visiting this Forum. Thanks Mr. Walker, when is your next edition coming out. I have been waiting for months! Smile
Coventry Poetry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
183 of 187  Sun 26th Mar 2017 10:37am  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
184 of 187  Sat 1st Apr 2017 2:47pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

FOOLISH APRIL April cool so innocent and jolly April's fooling a seasonable folly We go out so brave and stout Gamp and macintosh without Cast a clout loll about Thinking not of our rheums or gout Then to to damp that Springtime ardour She turns on the water spout But it's only April, fooling.
Coventry Poetry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
185 of 187  Sun 2nd Jul 2017 3:22pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

JULY A dear old gentleman with manner bright and warm Whose smiling face lights up the day from early morn Whose golden sunshine brings forth the corn Then without reason, let me be born He lifts his head and roses bloom to glad the season The air is warm throughout the day, to winter woollies we say nay and with a wink and a flourish he waves the clouds away.
Coventry Poetry
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
186 of 187  Sun 3rd Dec 2017 12:57am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:214

Here's one for Christmas........ Oh! What can I get her for Christmas? Oh! What can I get her for Christmas? I’ve been everywhere in the quest! There’s nothing at all down at Debenhams, and just rubbish in all of the rest! I found one I thought she would quite like, but she doesn’t like green at all, And the only other one I could find was simply far too small. I wondered about a real sexy one, but I don’t think she’d want one of those, The last one she had just made everyone laugh, and played merry hell with her toes! I actually ordered a monogrammed one, but I got a real shock when it came. I just can’t give her that – ‘cause it wouldn’t make sense – they’d printed some other girl’s name! I went to the Christmas Shop Help Desk, and the lady there was quite nice, But nothing she ever suggested was anything like a good price! I tried on the Internet websites, like Amazon, Google and such, But all I could find in my price range was a site that was written in Dutch! The postage to get it from Europe was seriously close to a crime, And even then they don’t guarantee that the item would get here on time! I’m now very close to despairing, as December draws close to the end, But what can you buy a sweet pussy cat, that shows she’s my very best friend?
True Blue Coventry Kid

Coventry Poetry
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
187 of 187  Sun 3rd Dec 2017 2:15am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2898

Definitely a 10 JW. Thumbs up
Coventry Poetry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 181 to 187 of 187 posts

Page 13 of 13

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 13
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Archaeology around Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

The Coventry you will never know
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 50ms)