Wink Wink our frozen tent
Mick Strong

Memories and Nostalgia - Memories - early or general
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
317 of 368  Mon 14th Dec 2020 2:57pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:241

Mick, That brings back memories. In 2009 I did the Dragon Rally for bikers which is held usually in North Wales. That year it was held on Anglesey and I remember sleeping with all my biking gear on except for my crash helmet. I had a sleeping bag but couldn't get in it with my gear on. It turned out it had been minus 5 Oh my In 2011 I did it again, it was in a disused slate mine in Snowdonia. That year, it is remembered for its torrential rain - we couldn't pitch the tents so we stood around like penguins all night, all 1500 of us. By the time I had ridden home I was that cold my wife had to undress me Roll eyes
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
318 of 368  Mon 14th Dec 2020 3:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2584

I'm not sure that I could handle that much fun. Wink
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
319 of 368  Mon 14th Dec 2020 3:33pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:368

Hi Helen. It was fun, all 630 miles of it. Wild, camped it all, beaches, woods and fields.
Mick Strong

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
320 of 368  Mon 14th Dec 2020 3:40pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3775

Mick Strong, you just haven't got the best manager in the world Lol You should swop for the South of France and a cosy mixed hostel Big grin
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
321 of 368  Mon 14th Dec 2020 4:29pm  

Kaga, didn't need a manager. We had 3 of everything everywhere we went, pubs, cafes etc. We all ate and drank the same, never an argument. Since we have finished the SWCP, we have walked the coastal paths of IOW, Guernsey, Jersey, Norfolk, Somerset. The same 3 blokes for well over 30 years, 10 years exploring Snowdonia, 10 years in the Lakes. The highest peak in Ireland, The Lyke Wake, both 3 peaks walks, The Ridgeway, The South Downs Way and then the coast paths.
Mick Strong

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
322 of 368  Mon 14th Dec 2020 5:47pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3477

On 14th Dec 2020 2:23pm, Mick Strong said: Wink Wink our frozen tent
Mick you sound strong by name - strong by nature. Thumbs up
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
323 of 368  Tue 15th Dec 2020 7:48pm  

Anyone remember those parking lights that clipped over your window and you then wound the window up? Plugged into your cigarette lighter socket
Mick Strong

Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
324 of 368  Tue 15th Dec 2020 8:10pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:103

I certainly do! When I lived in Cromwell Lane I was friends with the local vicars' son, Howard, who lived in a great old vicarage on the hill in the NE corner of Tile Hill Lane and Banner Lane, now sadly only a memory. The vicars' car was fitted with one but not having a cigarette lighter socket he had fitted a 240v 2-pin plug and socket. Howard and I 'borrowed' the clip-on parking light and to see if it worked tried it in one of the 2-pin house sockets, now discontinued. No light but after a few seconds a huge explosion, which brought Howard's father running from the deep recesses of his study to investigate. Luckily no harm was done, except to the parking light and a blown fuse. We learned that a 240v supply and a 12v appliance don't mix well. This was probably one of the incidents that ended up with me becoming an electrical engineer!
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
325 of 368  Tue 15th Dec 2020 9:34pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:800

"I certainly do!" So do I. My father had one for his old car. From Halfords. "We learned that a 240v supply and a 12v appliance don't mix well." Reminds me of the stupid 15A sockets in the physics lab at school. Most were set to 12V for the light boxes (an accident waiting to happen). One of the lads mistakenly plugged his box into a 240V socket on the wall. I can still remember an almighty bang like a bomb going off when he switched it on. Luckily, no damage to anyone. But the 12V headlamp bulb wasn't so lucky! "This was probably one of the incidents that ended up with me becoming an electrical engineer!" We have much in common! Lol
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
326 of 368  Wed 16th Dec 2020 12:20am  

Indeed, Slim, I fell foul of the physics lab electrical system a couple of times. From memory the bench sockets could be individually assigned from 2vdc up to 240vdc from a bank of lead/acid batteries or 240vac mains in the cabinet at the front of the room. On one occasion I was working on a low voltage (under 10vdc) "current balance" experiment and, while writing up the notes, I needed to re-check a measurement. Upon putting the brass key into the brass connector there was a big flash and bang at which time I realized the supply voltage had been changed to 240vac at the cabinet and I'd been writing up notes surrounded by bare wires carrying mains voltage. I think it was Ron Hough teaching at the time who was somewhat perturbed by the incident! The second occasion was a similar change of supply voltage, however, I'd been working on a basic electronic circuit and when it failed to give any results I had just started to inspect the circuitry a little closer when a large electrolytic capacitor exploded in my face. Luckily I wore glasses so no damage, however, I was picking bits of electrolytic capacitor out of my hair for the rest of the day. "Health and Safety" - what! Cheers
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
327 of 368  Wed 16th Dec 2020 10:38am  

How about the Bakelite 2 wire adapters? You could take out a light bulb and use the socket for something that you had wired up with one of the adaptors. Remember blowing the fuses in our house on Charter Ave, when I tried to wire 3 different things in one adaptor at the same time. All went well, until I turned my bedroom light on!!
Mick Strong

Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
328 of 368  Wed 16th Dec 2020 1:34pm  

Mick, not Bakelite but I still have these in one of my "squirrel" boxes!
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
329 of 368  Wed 16th Dec 2020 3:31pm  

Lethal or what?
Mick Strong

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
330 of 368  Wed 16th Dec 2020 3:46pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2584

Shouldn't that be "lethal or watt"? Wink

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 316 to 330 of 368 posts

Page 22 of 25

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Fire Brigade (inc. Hales Street Fire Station)
|

Next (newer) topic

You are at the most recent topic
You are viewing topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2021

Load time: 60ms