No actionNo action
265 posts:
Order:    

scrivener
Coventry
All posts by this member
256 of 265  Sun 22nd Apr 2018 3:21pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:1

On 12th Dec 2017 4:57pm, Slopeman44 said: Hello to you Midland Red, thanks for the welcome. It would be nice to hear from any of the lads who were about from '55 to '59, some of the names I remember when I was in forms 3K and 4K - Roy Hossack, Don Freelove, Ralph Hawson, Mick Noah (a big lad, I think he was shaving even then), Mick Lloyd, Dekka Dobson, Baz Smith. I ranted on about the sadistic teachers but there were some memorable ones too - Taffy Thomas - History, he transported me to the battlefields of Agincourt, Crecy - he could have made a talk on boiling an egg interesting! I'm sure Billy Bolland taught me for something, his banter was legendary. He'd be writing on the board and someone would be whispering and without turning he would say "Smith, you're talking - you won't" and pointing to his side he'd have the offender up for a rollocking in front of the class. One of the classics was a guy called - I think - Thompson who delighted in swearing using daft phrases. He was also a great fan of throwing the board rubber - it's about him that I have my charitable thoughts of war damaged instead of sadistic! As with Billy Burdett, McLachlan housemaster who taught geography - a loony if ever there was one! He'd set the class to read something for say 10 minutes and after around 3 minutes had passed he'd break the silence by chuckling or making a weird noise. Gawd help you if you looked up - out to his desk you'd go and he'd open the drawer and invite you to select your punishment from his array of weapons which included a cane, ruler, slipper and a running shoe complete with spikes! I remember Ray di Marco, I think he was a supply teacher, great guy who would while away the lesson but wouldn't stand too much nonsense. I remember him bouncing Clive Bagley's head off the desk for persistent talking! "Chippie" Wood took us for woodwork, Mr Flitcroft for art, a nice guy, I was fascinated by his bulging eyes. Bill Levers made Dekka Dobson stand in the hot sun for messing about in cricket, I groaned when I turned up for my first time at Tech and found that he was my lecturer - I don't suppose he was too happy either. Parbury, Major, Kiffin Williams all wore the black gown, as did my nemesis Hancock.
Roy Hossack took to religion I believe whilst at Woodlands. Often wondered where Mick Lloyd is now. What about Roy Wright, Ian Yates, Colin Smith, the Moles twins, Spud Dudman, Pete Dawson, Derek Ferguson
Schools and Education - Woodlands School, Broad Lane
ralphtheblues
sri lanka
All posts by this member
257 of 265  Tue 22nd May 2018 8:22am  
Member: Joined May 2018  Total posts:13

I was at Woodlands from 1963 to 1968 in Gibson House, Bill Newton was my House Master who at the time lived in the same road as me, Browns Lane, as did my music teacher Jack Major. I joined the school orchestra and choir in my first year, and later formed a house orchestra. I played all sports for the house and remember Moorcroft lapping me in the cross country. In 1965/66 I got the house prize for services to School Music. I remember most of my teachers as I still have my school report.
ralphtheblues

ralphtheblues
sri lanka
All posts by this member
258 of 265  Sat 16th Jun 2018 5:38am  
Member: Joined May 2018  Total posts:13

Teachers I can remember from 1963-68, Panter and Bill Newton my house tutor and house master in my first year, Scott house tutor in 65, Killroy house tutor in 66 was a music teacher, A. Millest house tutor in 67 Biology teacher used to cycle to school, J Walmsley Religious Instruction, house tutor in 68, I also remember for different reasons Corbett Maths,Tranter Geography, and my great friend and neighbour from Browns Lane Jack Major the great Music teacher. Ron Jones dep. Head
ralphtheblues

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
259 of 265  Mon 19th Nov 2018 11:28am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2194

Not sure everyone will enjoy this but may bring back memories - Woodlands site today by drone.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
260 of 265  Mon 19th Nov 2018 12:23pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1080

Neil. Many thanks for a viewing of my old school, where I was Prefect in Sparkes House in 1954 6th Form. Parbury 6th Form master who I always liked. Knocker West Head and RSJ Jones Deputy. Mr. Long was Housemaster. It looks derelict though a few cars around. Did it have to close? I thought Sparkes was at the start of the drone, just after the signing, but could not be sure. Edited by member, 19th Nov 2018 9:27 pm
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
261 of 265  Mon 19th Nov 2018 1:01pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2194

The cars will be from the Sports Centre that was built in front towards Broad Lane which is still in use.
Harrier
Coventry
All posts by this member
262 of 265  Mon 19th Nov 2018 5:59pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:180

On 19th Nov 2018 11:28am, NeilsYard said: Not sure everyone will enjoy this but may bring back memories - Woodlands site today by drone.
Incredible that all those sports trophies are on display in the window (@2:40) for any enterprising thief. They should be saved as a great deal of school sporting history will be engraved on them. Former 5000m World record holder, Dave Moorcroft, went to Woodlands; what odds his name is on one of the athletic trophies??
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
263 of 265  Mon 19th Nov 2018 6:36pm  

I remember the Victor Ludorum Sports Trophy which came from Junior Tech originally.
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
264 of 265  Mon 19th Nov 2018 9:14pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:437

We had a year when our house year/seniors won every sports trophy except the Hockey (which we won the Plate final). Very little to do with me I might add - I played one footy match and was on the Xcountry team, but my score didn't count as only top 12 of 15 counted and I came 13th out of the house. Wouldn't have minded but I finished in the top 20 overall - I'd have been top runner in one of the other houses (Perrens I think)!
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
265 of 265  Mon 19th Nov 2018 9:22pm  

On 17th Oct 2012 8:08am, heritage said: It was certainly a roundabout when I left Woodlands in 1959. This is a photo of Frank Perrins after whom Perrins House was named when he retired. The happy face was taken at the Rainbow in Allesley, you can imagine how he looked at school.
Do I remember Pedro (Perrins), I'll say. Report cards were issued a the drop of a hat! Edited by member, 19th Nov 2018 9:25 pm

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 256 to 265 of 265 posts

Page 18 of 18

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 ... 14 15 16 17 18
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Old Grammar School
|

Next (newer) topic

Stoke Park School