Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2836

Coming across some LPS and Earl Street crackers Thumbs up
Coventry Archives
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
32 of 43  Tue 16th Feb 2021 10:38pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1575

Rob, thanks for your advice re obtaining their password for Coventry Digital. I've tried all ways and not once received an e-mail from them. Today I even went into the site and put in my e-mail address and then asked for new password (though I had not had one to begin with). It looked great, but alas still no e-mail and no password for me to start using the site. Hope you can help. Thank you! Edited by member, 16th Feb 2021 10:41 pm
Coventry Archives
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
33 of 43  Wed 17th Feb 2021 9:46am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2640

Prof, it's possible that it didn't accept your original registration. There should have been a password because that's part of the form when you sign up. It rejected mine because I used a space in my password but it didn't say so. It may be that it rejects other characters too. Try the registration again and only put in numbers and letters.
Coventry Archives
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
34 of 43  Wed 17th Feb 2021 11:03am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1497

Sadly, trying to register again with the same email address won't work Helen. I got into a loop with that - their system just tells you that the email address is already "in use", so prompts you to respond to the email that they sent..... which never arrives! Most websites offer the chance to reset a password, or at least to click a link to re-send the registration email - but this one doesn't, for some unknown reason, so you end up with an unusable account. Prof, I'll send you a private message with the email address of the web chappy responsible for creating the site.
Coventry Archives
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
35 of 43  Wed 17th Feb 2021 11:21am  

That could be the situation Rob Thumbs up but in my case it just didn't accept the registration so the email wasn't locked out.
Coventry Archives
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
36 of 43  Wed 17th Feb 2021 11:23am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1497

Oh I see! Yet a different scenario! Early days I guess - let's hope they can iron out these teething problems.
Coventry Archives
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
37 of 43  Wed 17th Feb 2021 12:04pm  

C'mon, Archives... Take Rob on! Big grin
Coventry Archives
CovArchives
Coventry
All posts by this member
38 of 43  Fri 19th Feb 2021 10:57am  
Member: Joined Jan 2018  Total posts:23

Dear Forum members, An interactive, digital record of Coventry featuring maps and photos charting the city’s history has been launched. Designed to be enjoyed on desktops or mobiles The Coventry Atlas – https://www.coventryatlas.org/ – allows people to track Coventry’s pre and post-war history through photographs and drawings placed onto maps of the city ranging from the ride of Lady Godiva through to celebrating Coventry City’s FA Cup victory in 1987. Coventry Atlas has been produced by Coventry City of Culture Trust with a range of partners including Coventry University, Culture Coventry and Photo Miners. The launch of the site is, however, only the beginning. The people of Cov are being asked to upload and tag their images to build up a bank of photographs that will eventually lead to every street in Coventry being represented on the Coventry Atlas. Submissions for the Atlas can be done through Coventry University’s https://coventry.digital/ site, which was launched earlier this year and will soon introduce a submissions portal, making contributing easy. Photo Archive Miners, will be working with communities over the next few months, to develop trails through Coventry. The trails will encourage people to get out and explore different bits of Coventry and will be created from collections of community contributed images and stories which will be available on Coventry Atlas. Coventry Atlas will act as an educational resource – with specific learning packs aimed at schools – and a site for the whole city to enjoy through 2021 and beyond. Chenine Bhathena, of Coventry City of Culture Trust, said: “This is a really exciting project that captures the history of Coventry in an interactive and creative way. It’s something for everyone who lives, works or studies in Coventry to enjoy and also a resource to learn about the history of the city, right down to the road each individual lives in. “It charts the richness of Coventry’s history and its people – from medieval times right up to the present, including the famous night that the city celebrated being awarded the UK City of Culture title in 2017. “For us to be able to showcase the history of each area and each street, we need people from right across Coventry to come forward with their images and help us to build up Coventry Atlas to act as a lasting record of the whole city as part of the legacy of UK City of Culture 2021.” Dr Benjamin Kyneswood, of Coventry University, said: “It’s been great working with the Trust to show items in Coventry Digital on the Atlas – it gives the public another way to enjoy their heritage and share their stories of the city.” Mark Cook of Photo Miners said: “We have a fantastic platform in Coventry Atlas. Now we need to work with the public to surface the hidden stories that makes Coventry so special.” Ruark Jon-Stevens, of Culture Coventry Trust, said: “Coventry Atlas is an amazing resource providing unique access and insight into the development and history of Coventry. “Culture Coventry Trust is delighted to partner with Coventry City of Culture Trust and Coventry University in its creation. This site enables Coventry Archive images to be featured alongside historical information from independent historians. “As a charitable trust we rely upon support from partners and other stakeholders to enable the continued enhancement of our digital offer and we look forward to growing this work as we move forward.” The Coventry Atlas website has been developed by Error Agency with copywriting from author and historian Peter Walters and school resources provided by educational consultant Madalyn Baskerville. It is part of Coventry’s Great Place project funded by National Lottery Heritage Fund, Arts Council England, Historic England with partner funding by Coventry City Council, Coventry University, University of Warwick and Coventry BID. It has also received contributions by Historic Coventry Trust, Dr Mark Webb, Historic Towns Atlas and many of Coventry’s skilled photographers. We look forward to continuing to grow this site. Victoria Northridge Archives Manager
Victoria Northridge

Coventry Archives
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
39 of 43  Fri 19th Feb 2021 12:01pm  

Woohoo! Fantastic idea. Tagged images to the modern map is a bit rough and in some places entirely wrong but it's early days. Thumbs up Thanks for doing this. Clickable link to map.
Coventry Archives
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
40 of 43  Fri 19th Feb 2021 12:20pm  

We could add tons! Big grin
Coventry Archives
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
41 of 43  Fri 19th Feb 2021 2:10pm  

Victoria, is there any way members here can add comments to photos already on there? I'm sure you are aware there are some dedicated photo-hunters on here with some great knowledge and I can already identify some images I've seen on there that are marked as 'Unknown?'
Coventry Archives
CovArchives
Coventry
All posts by this member
42 of 43  Tue 20th Apr 2021 2:12pm  

Dear All, Following the continued latest Government announcements on the roadmap out of Covid19, Coventry Archives are aiming to re-open from Wednesday 19th May 2021, not 17th May as reported on the website. However, this is still subject to Government reviews. Please note that we are experiencing current technical difficulties which means that we cannot receive in phone calls or respond to email enquiries, but our IT team are working on correcting this. A handful of staff are now able to attend the building, so we are endeavouring to go though the backlog of enquiries since December 2020. Regretfully, we are still unable to accept donations via post or in person until after 19th May 2021. We will continue to share our collections, exhibitions and activities with you remotely via our social media, newsletters and website. Yours faithfully, Coventry Archives team
Victoria Northridge

Coventry Archives
CovArchives
Coventry
All posts by this member
43 of 43  Wed 21st Jul 2021 11:26am  

Dear All, From 19th of July Coventry Archives Covid19 guidance has altered. We recognise that it may take some time for visitors to adjust to the new arrangements made possible under step 4, and that some visitors may be taking their first steps back into the archives and other public spaces. We therefore recommend that all visitors continue to wear face coverings while visiting the archives, as a courtesy to other visitors and our staff and in line with government guidance. We will also encourage all visitors to be considerate and maintain a reasonable distance from each other while in our area. Therefore, some of our computers will continue to remain covered for the time being. Booking appointments for the research room are extended to all day 10.30am-3.30pm per person and the maximum amount of references has increased back to 10 at any one time. Computers/microfilm readers must still be booked - these can be booked all day but please note that only the first 2 hours are free. Each additional hour costs £2.00. Tables will no longer need to be booked but revert to a first come first served basis. If you are booking all day then the cost of a photography permit has been revised as follows: £10.00 for students/elders, £15.00 for other Adult non-commercial and £40.00 for Adults working for a Commercial sector With best wishes, Coventry Archives team
Victoria Northridge

Coventry Archives

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 43 of 43 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Lower Precinct Circular Cafe (and other Wimpy outlets)
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry's Cycle Industry
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2021

Load time: 53ms