No actionNo action
348 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
346 of 348  Thu 12th Sep 2019 1:51pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1586

Of that particular view I have at least 2 older versions. The grand picture house followed a rather nice 3 storey gabled timber building. Change is normal for my generation, so I can't imagine what the late 1800s early 1900s were like for people who had seen very little change in their lifetimes. Was it exciting or scary? Edited by member, 12th Sep 2019 2:02 pm
Smithford Street (inc. Ram Bridge)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
347 of 348  Thu 12th Sep 2019 4:13pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3069

In Coventry. Mainly humorous, despite the cruelty, they were also superstitious. The youth were well known to upset the stalls in the market place, repaint inn signs, dress up as ghosts in the churchyard at night with a white sheet to scare people. Without fear from the magistrates, they also liked to make up rhymes of twenty-thirty verses, about local people - at the same time, if they stole a loaf of bread they could land up in Australia. Buildings changed often, the Corn Exchange, market buildings, inns, stables, streets. But then, even our kings and dukes changed frequently. The Earl of Warwick was known to be as thick as six planks. I love reading about our ancestors.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
348 of 348  Mon 23rd Sep 2019 9:51am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3069

We stood just inside Smithford Street, my dad talking to two ARP wardens. I was watching the soldiers sift and clear away the rubbish. One soldier stood a little way from the others and was tugging at a part of a rafter embedded in the rubble, suddenly it came free. He took a step to re-balance, stood on a brick and fell on his backside. His cap fell off, he stood up, picked up his cap, slapped it against his leg, put it back on, rubbed his behind, looked at the rafter and gave it a kick. This hurt his foot, a piece of wood flew up and hit his shoulder. Trying to stop the wood hitting him he knocked off his cap into the dirt. By now he was turning the air blue and I was splitting my sides. He picked up his hat full of rage, he picked up the rafter and threw it on the wood pile. It bounced and slid down hitting his shin. He grabbed for his shovel that was leaning against the lorry, his hat fell off again and he knocked the shovel over. Now every one was laughing. He gave us the victory sign, swore, and dug the shovel into the debris. Instead of chucking the debris over the dropped tailgate he attempted to throw it over the tall side, but once the shovel was high in the air all the dust and debris slid down the shovel covering him and we all stopped laughing. A soldier rushed to his side and led him to us, he was blinded by the dust, a few minor cuts. A warden took him to the hospital.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 346 to 348 of 348 posts

Page 24 of 24

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 21 22 23 24
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Sorry state (non-Cov)
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry's Cinemas